WSO2 API Manager Review

Provides all the required tools for a management solution.

What is our primary use case?

The principal things we use WSO2 API Manager for are to convert SOAP to Rest services, add security, and to provide more function for the administrators and to the developers. These are the main items.

We now work with two versions which are in a test environment. We are using version 3.0 and version 3.2. It's very possible that the version that we will use in production will be 3.2.

We can use WSO2 API Manager at IaaS and PaaS enviroments.

What is most valuable?

WSO2 is very easy to install. It has all the main functionalities that we looking for when we want to put up the management solution like a friendly UI tool, soap to rest API publication options, plugin extensions, add oatuh 2.0 to the operations,  install on premise, hablde multiple versions of the same api, import and export swagger.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, we are doing a proof of concept and we found some problems with the migration process from the last version to the 3.2. We have problems with the migration of the tenants.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for about one and a half years.

In terms of stability, we are testing it in the test environment now so I don't have information about this. Maybe in the future we will know better.

In terms of scalability, it has several main components and it is easy to make different strategies with each one. For example, we can deploy one component in high availability and you can use a different strategy with others components of the tool.

We now have around 10 people using it because we are working in the test environment. In the future, we expect different organizations use it too.

For now, we want to put a community version in production, test it, and then analize if it is an option to switch to commercial.

In terms of the technical support, we don't use it. But I would evaluate documentation manuals as very good.

We made POCs with ApiConnect, and 3scale.

For example, 3scale has a very good user interface but it's doesnt has the functionalities that we need. ApiConnect is similar to the WSO2 but it's more expensive. WSO2 API Manager is easier to start with.

The initial setup is very easy.

I did not do the deployment myself but I think that it took around one or two hours. No more than this. This is because we need a different database. We needed to change something in the default, but otherwise it was very easy.

We contracted an external worker that did these things on the monitor.

We are happy with the tool. Now, we need to do more test. We started one and a half years ago, or more and now, we can solve the evolution of the two different versions.

What other advice do I have?

Improve the possibility to migrate to different versions would be very good. It would also be good for integration withdifferents identity server to have more possibilities with other tools.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate WSO2 API Manager an 8 because I think that the evolution of the product has a lot of differences between near versions. I would like it to be a more stable solution.

3.2
More WSO2 API Manager reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.