WSO2 API Manager Review

Easy API lifecycle management, simple deployment and install, with great support

What is most valuable?

As far as I am aware this solution is the first API Publisher that allows you to create and publish API and to manage the API lifecycle. It is very simple to manage an API lifecycle in this platform. Another great feature is the API store. It has the built-in test features, that allows the API creator to document their API and then publish it. The developers can go to the store and see the API, see the documentation, and can try the features. This is great for developers to have an easy way to test the API before using it. These are the best features I have experienced.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the older version of the solution and they have made a lot of changes in the newer versions. I tried version 3.2 and it is easier to navigate the APIs and even to manage the API. From what I have experienced from the versions I have tried, they could improve on the multi-tenant environments to allow some kind of SSO single sign-on between tenant. This is one great way to improve this product.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

It is a stable solution. However, the main issue is, if you are working with the open-source version, sometimes depending on the version, you need to deal with some issues and bugs. Usually, they are working fine but their business model is if they release a version and they find bugs, they will release another version fairly quickly with the fix. This means, if you do not have a subscription, for example, you are using version 2.6 and it has bugs, you will need to correct the bug by yourself or you need to wait to the next release.

The customer service is helpful. If we have any kind of questions regarding improvements or bug fix. We can open a ticket for the direct support and be connected to the support team, it was great.

The installation is very straightforward because you have multiple ways to do the setup. For example, if you are trying it, you can just download the product and click on the setup script, and it will be load up with the MIMO configuration. In production environments, you can use something like Kubernetes and it is also easy to do the deployment. They have features to connect to external user stores. This is great too, you can choose any kind of database you need and the start-up is easy. Even if you want to develop on your computer, you could download a script. The setup has all the configurations and with one command you can run multiple products at the same time.

Deployment is simple all you do is download the solution, click, and it is up and running. For production deployments, you will need less than a day for a simple setup working with Docker or something similar. If you are going to use Kubernetes, I think it mainly depends on your know-how on how to use Kubernetes itself. This solution is a very quick setup, there are not too many things to deal with.

There is a subscription-based pricing structure and also the open-sourced version available.

What other advice do I have?

You have two options to choose when deciding what type of version you want to go with, the open-source or the subscription version. In a production environment, it is best to go with the subscription to make sure all the bugs are fixed.

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate WSO2 API Manager a nine out of ten.

2.6
More WSO2 API Manager reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.