WSO2 Identity Server Review

Easy to implement with good customization capabilities and good security

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in retail. We have a customer that runs a retail chain. He uses all components of WSO2 including the Identity Server, API Manager, and Enterprise Integrator.

How has it helped my organization?

The Identity Server has been able to manage our complete user base with ease - including authorization and authentication. It's made things much easier.

What is most valuable?

The latest features are excellent.

We especially like the passwordless technology.

The product offers very nice customization capabilities. The product runs well out of the box, however, it's nice to be able to tweak things as we need to.

The security is very good.

It's very easy to implement everything.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve its development from a user perspective.

In a development environment, from a developer's perspective, there are a few ways they could simplify things. To understand scenarios and develop solutions can take some time.

The product could use more documentation, especially around the setup.

If you take one microservice, and one microservice wants to interact with another microservice, there are communication glitches that are happening at this moment. Those kinds of things have to be resolved.

The need to ensure they are keeping up with the latest advancements, and especially be cognizant of security.

There may be memory issues if you haven't properly configured the policies.

We've been using the solution for about a year or so. It may be a bit more than that.

The product is very mature and therefore quite stable. I haven't seen any issues with it. there aren't really bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The latest versions are quite stable.

Scalability is really something we watch out for - especially in relation to the number of cores. Not only with the WSO2 product, but any product that you take on now. The number of transactions depends on the core volume. You need to understand what processor and how much CPU you are using as well as how many cores and how much memory. That said, from a scalability perspective, it's my understanding that it is very easy to scale.

Technical support is typically very good. We have good on-the-ground technical support.

There is also a robust open-source community where you can find a lot of your answers if you need to. The developer community is growing every day and continues to get better and better.

Recently, we had an issue with the database connector. When we used the SQL query, it couldn't connect to the database. We raised a case with technical support and they were able to resolve everything for us.

The initial setup is very straightforward, however, I'm concerned about the latest setups. For example, when you are doing the setup in the cloud-native environment side. It is not as straightforward. They need to come up with more documentation with respect to that.

Ideally, if it is an on-premise deployment or if the product administrator (or whoever doing the installation) is capable enough to do the installation, then it will take only two to three days to finalize. If somebody is not as familiar with the solution, then it will take about two weeks to set everything up.

I was able to handle the deployment myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

While I can't really get into specifics, I can say our organization has seen a good ROI.

The pricing is very good. When you compare it to all other products, the pricing is cost-effective. It's not only that, it's as robust as other products and on par with other products - such as, for example, MuleSoft or TIBCO. In comparison, it's quite reasonable.

There aren't any extra costs above the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very effective solution for small to medium-sized enterprises.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a really good product, from what I have seen so far.

Hybrid Cloud
More WSO2 Identity Server reviews from users
...who compared it with Okta Customer Identity
Find out what your peers are saying about WSO2, ForgeRock, Auth0 and others in Customer Identity and Access Management. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.