Xamarin Platform Review

Provides cross-platform support for mobile app creation. It should support native functions for iOS and Android.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to work in macOS for Xamarin iOS solutions
  • Cross-platform support

How has it helped my organization?

Creating mobile apps became quicker as we started to use the code base function.

What needs improvement?

Xamarin Studio should be more polished and support native functions (iOS, Android). It should be working like a charm.

I have used this solution for three years.

Generally, when iOS products get updates, some issues can happen with Xamarin. Crashes happen from time to time.

Most scalability is handled on the server side. In rare cases, some libraries weren’t supported, such as the TCP/IP stack.

Technical support is good.

Setup was actually pretty complex, as we had to get experience. We had some oddly written solutions provided from previous vendors of our customers. These were impossible to maintain.

By the third year, we got a solid ROI. It’s hard to measure, but is was probably over 200%.

Licensing and pricing have changed, as the product moved to Microsoft. Before that, it was fairly complex: $800 per developer place, for one platform only.

We did look at alternatives. However, other solutions were only hybrid platforms, which lagged behing when doing moderately complex projects.

What other advice do I have?

You will need to invest a bit of time to become a good vendor using this framework.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Xamarin certified partner.