Xamarin Platform Review

A single team can target multiple platforms on a shared C# codebase using Xamarin.Forms

What is our primary use case?

Xamarin provides two ways to build great native apps: Xamarin Native and Xamarin.Forms. We used Xamarin.Forms on many of our solution platforms, but it also can be used on complicated scenarios (with a lot of business logic code), like product configurator apps.

How has it helped my organization?

Xamarin.Forms exposes a complete cross-platform UI toolkit for .NET developers. In our case, we used existing C#/.NET knowledge to build native iOS and Android. The advantage is that a single team can target multiple platforms (Android, iOS, and Windows) on a shared C# codebase.

What is most valuable?

A very good feature of this solution is Xamarin.Forms, which is best for specific types of mobile apps. Based on my experience (and also Microsoft's recommendation), the best scenario for use would be for:

• Data entry apps.
  • Apps requiring very little platform-specific functionality.
  • Apps where code sharing is more important than custom UI.

What needs improvement?

For those who use only XAML to design the UI, it would be better if there was a better XAML previewer or designer.

Three to five years.