Xamarin Platform Review

Enables our developers to work interchangeably on different projects/platforms

What is our primary use case?

In most cases, I develop apps for iOS and Android, but there are some rare cases that include UWP platform. My environment includes a Windows 10 PC with VS 2017 and a Mac mini with VS for Mac.

How has it helped my organization?

All of our mobile developers can easily substitute for each other on different projects and platforms.

What is most valuable?

• One language for all platforms: C#
  • XAML for UI in Xamarin.Forms
  • Provides 100 percent coverage of APIs on each platform

What needs improvement?

I would like to see hot reload, similar to what Flutter has out-of-the-box. There is "Live Reload" but it’s still in preview and was only recently announced.

Three to five years.

There have been some stability issues, mostly with VS 2017 for Windows when working with iOS.

No issues with scalability.

Community support is great. You can always ask on the Xamarin forum or Stack Overflow. If you are a member of Xamarin.University you can get a one-to-one hour with a technical instructor.

Xamarin is my first cross-platform framework.

Using early versions of Xamarin, especially VS on Windows for developing iOS, were a mess. But now, with the latest installer, it is really straightforward.

In most cases, it is sufficient to have free/community license. But if you plan to seriously develop production-level, highly polished apps, you need to use Xamarin.Profiler and the professional or enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a 10 out of 10. It's the best cross-platform framework, and it continuously improves.