Xamarin Platform Review

We can focus on the functionality, not the coding, but AppCompat library creates issues

How has it helped my organization?

From a developer's point of view, with the help of Xamarin, we can focus on the functionality, rather than spending time coding differently for iOS and Android.

What is most valuable?

For me, Xamarin becomes more valuable when it comes to forms. Xamarin has come up with a lot of features over time. I love XAML most. Recently, Xamarin has added a lot of features such as Effects, Behaviors, Triggers, etc. This has made the UI user-friendly, lively, and attractive.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the Android AppCompat library creates a lot of issues. A lot of development time is often wasted solving these issues.

When I started with Xamarin, I used to face a lot of stability issues. Its memory management was very poor. But now, I don’t face any kind of issue related to stability.

Scalability depends on how one designs his architecture.

Initially, our team used the technical support and it was good. But now, you can find most solutions on blogs, Stack Overflow, etc.

I was into Web development using .NET and C#. I wanted to try mobile applications and, with my knowledge of C#, that is what pulled me towards Xamarin.

Initial setup is straightforward. Microsoft has combined Visual Studio and Xamarin Studio so you just need to download the installer and follows the instructions. That’s it.

For personal use, the Community Edition is free. If someone is a freelancer he can easily use the free edition.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this solution for the past three years. I have developed many iOS and Android apps using Xamarin classic as well as Xamarin.Forms. In a nutshell, I would say that for those who love C# and mobile, this platform is a blessing.

I would like to rate this solution as a seven out of 10. The reason for this rating is that this solution is definitely better than others. We can share a lot of code among the different platforms and can also use our C# skills, which we love. In addition, we can get native UI, native API access, and native performance. Still, there are a lot of areas in which Microsoft can make it better. And I must say, they are working on it.

Architecture is the key point of every successful project and this is applicable to Xamarin as well. When implementing any project, one needs to be sure the app is following all the design patterns like MVVM, dependency injection, etc.