XenDesktop Review

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature to me is the flexibility to publish just apps, just virtual desktops, both, or even physical desktops. Having so much flexibility in one solution, especially one that works as well as Citrix, is a huge advantage.

Improvements to My Organization

We have a large number of Mac users who need access to Windows programs. We tried many methods for allowing them to work from the Macs, including connecting them via remote desktop to physical Windows computers. This solution removes the troubles we had with VPN, single-use VMs and/or dedicated physical machines.

Room for Improvement

I guess eliminating the slight difference in the web interface compared with the Receiver interface for saving files to local devices would be an improvement, but I have a feeling it's just not possible.

Use of Solution

I have been using this solution for about six months.

Users have some trouble adjusting to the Receiver interface, but other than that, everything has been very easy.

My experience has been excellent.

It's straightforward, but I ended up building the "back end" to be more robust than I had initially planned in order to stay in line with best practices.

Implementation Team

We did everything in-house. Since we have the capabilities in-house for such projects, I prefer to go through an implementation, at least as a functioning demo, before hiring outside contracts. In our case, we were able use the functioning demo we built.

ROI

That's difficult to honestly figure, since we've expanded the use of the applications to people and scenarios that weren't available to them before.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Get honest advice from Citrix on licensing, then ask someone who is using it in the same capacity as you plan to.

Other Solutions Considered

We set up demos of a few different solutions. None of them were as easy to deploy, to license, or to use as this, nor did any match the flexibility.

Other Advice

Build yourself a demo, following best practices. You'll likely find it to be pretty easy to do, and you'll have a solid foundation if you do need to hire outside help.