XenServer Review

Offers full control over our virtual machines and is budget-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for cloud automation.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows the end users to clone, start, stop, or remotely control their VMs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the cost; it is a free product.

What needs improvement?

The self-service user portal needs to be more granular and be more customizable.

Less than one year.

The stability of this solution is great, so far.

In terms of scalability, so far so good.

There are approximately two hundred users, with their roles being QA and development. I do expect that the usage will increase a little bit.

There is a paid option for this solution that comes with support, but with the free version that I am using, it is not supported. That is probably a weakness in most corporate environments, but we use it for QA and stuff of that nature.

Previously we were using vCenter from VMware. Our company was purchased and split in half, and I didn't know if we would be continuing the enterprise licensing with VMware so I had to find a free solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It took about four weeks to deploy. We have a small environment.

I handled the deployment personally, and I am the person who maintains the solution for now.

Had I been using the paid version, at $6,000 for an annual license, I believe that it would have paid for itself already.

We use the free version, so there is no charge. To subscribe to the paid version with support, it is approximately $6,000 per year. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

I looked at VMware's vRealize Automation, but it was eliminated due to our budget constraints.

What other advice do I have?

I really like this solution, but it is not widely known. I'm really surprised that more people don't know about it. I find that it suits our needs pretty well.

Considering what I am getting for the cost I would rate this solution a ten out of ten. There are more powerful solutions out there, but they're very costly.

If I were paying for the support then I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
WilVan LieropReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Indeed XenServer starts at virtually no costs at all and reasonable fees for enterprise support. Besides that, it supports a lot of powerfull backends like Dell/EMC and has nice options for test setups where no license is needed.

28 June 19