XenServer Review

A solution that offers poor manageability, poor shared storage implementation, and needs better support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Citrix worker resources.

What is most valuable?

The price is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The manageability of the solution needs improvement. It's an extremely bad product to handle.

The solution needs to offer better implementation of shared storage.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is not stable.

The solution is scalable.

I don't like the cluster functionality, but it's scalable. You can put a new service inside, and it works. The only thing is the shared storage, which does not have a good implementation. With LVM, it's a bad idea to use real partitioning. It's advisable instead to use a container file like Hyper-V or VMware.

Technical support is too slow. It takes too long. Especially in comparison with VMware. Their the support is much better.

In most cases the set up is straightforward. In special cases, especially for shared storage, it's not a great implementation experience.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I would advise others to only to use it with functionality where the high availability is available through other mechanisms, like Citrix, and not to use the features from the product itself.

I'd rate the solution four out of ten.