xMatters IT Management Review

Having our users manage their own notification devices within the tool is huge, since it takes the burden off our datacenter

What is our primary use case?

We use this tool for our primary IT and Emergency Management notification tool. We use it to send incident notifications from ServiceNow. Our datacenter command center uses xMatters to send out outage and emergency notifications.

How has it helped my organization?

The automation of the tool and the way it integrates with ServiceNow has improved out IT operations. Also, users can manage their own devices, which has saved our datacenter time because they do not have to manage on-call devices or rotations anymore.

What is most valuable?

Using xMatters to notify our IT and Emergency Management partners is vital for bringing back IT services and notifying our partners about emergencies. Having our users manage their own notification devices within xMatters is huge, since it takes the burden off our datacenter. In the past, the datacenter would have to keep up all the on-call lists and rotations. Now, it is all automated in xMatters, which is a huge win.

We have a two-way integration with ServiceNow, so incident notifications go directly to xMatters. Then, when the on-call person accepts the notification, it communicates back to ServiceNow and updates the ticket with the person who accepted the xMatters notification and puts the state to work in progress. This automation allows our datacenter to see the ticket has been accepted and is being worked. We also key our SLAs off the incident ticket being accepted and work so it keeps everything running smoothly.

What needs improvement?

I suppose there is always room for improvement, but we have been very happy with the product. I suppose they could make the product more customizable, but they have been working on this with forms and scenarios that you can modify. We have not really taken full advantage of this new feature since we went from on-premise to the xMatters SaaS version.

More than five years.

We have not encountered many stability issues. There was a couple times in 2017 where notifications were delayed, but this was resolved quickly by xMatters.

No issues.

Support has been great. They responded very quickly to all the support cases that I have submitted.

No, we did not have a previous solution. We have always had xMatters and have been satisfied with the product.

The SaaS solution was straightforward, but we did have to migrate all of our on-premise data to the cloud (xMatters helped us with this). The integration with ServiceNow required some configuration changes, but they were not too complex.

I do not get involved with pricing, since I am on the technical side of the tool.

I can’t remember if we evaluated others. It has been 16 years since we purchased xMatters.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend them to use the SaaS solution and tie it into their ITSM tool.