xMatters IT Management Review

It has been easy to use and very reliable

What is our primary use case?

On-call notifications.

How has it helped my organization?

This has made it much easier to send notifications to a group or individual, as you just need to know the name and the message to send. xMatters handles the communication methods (phone numbers, preference of text, email, phone call, etc.).

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the integration with our ITSM solution. This allows P1 and P2 incidents to automatically do notifications to the group that they are assigned to. The groups can maintain their on-call rotations and methods of notification in xMatters. This will automatically go through a list until an alert is acknowledged, which will assign an incident to the person that acknowledged the alert.

Having this automated has led to a significant improvement in incident resolution time (resolution can now occur quicker than the time to previously contact the correct person). All attempts are also logged to determine what occurred when and if they are successful or not.

Being SaaS-based is also a plus. Regardless of the state of our network or infrastructure, xMatters will still be available via a mobile device.

What needs improvement?

Integrations seem to be the most difficult part. Once setup though, they work well.

No issues.

No issues.

Good, but not excellent. They are courteous and professional, but may take longer than desired to resolve some issues. Integrations may require professional services.

We used manual methods previously, so this was a great improvement.

As this is SaaS based, xMatters does the environment setup. Adding users, groups, and on-call rotations is pretty simple. Roles are a little confusing as they seem to have too many.

The most complex parts are the integrations. For us, this was the integration to ITSM and LDAP, both of which we used their professional services for.

Pricing is pretty straightforward and listed on their website. I recommend starting small and expanding later.

No. One of the biggest issues for us was an ability to integrate with our ITSM solution. As xMatters is a partner of our ITSM vendor, integration was not a concern. Being totally SaaS-based was a big plus. I have worked at other places that used xMatters and were happy with it. With reasonable OpsEx pricing and a product that met our needs, we did not feel the need to evaluate other options. I have used other notification solutions at other companies, and this is one that I am most familiar with.

What other advice do I have?

It has been easy to use and very reliable.

The only potential concern is professional services. They are capable, but like to bill on an hourly basis. I would recommend having what you want them to do clearly defined upfront and keep close tabs on their progress as the hours can go by quickly if you do not keep on top of them.

1 visitor found this review helpful