xMatters IT Management Review

It is very complex, hard to use, hard to navigate, and reschedule things. Though, the customer service is quite responsive.

What is our primary use case?

The tool itself works well, but when you try to apply real world use cases against it, it comes down a rating scale quite significantly (hence why it is a five out of 10). The feedback we get from our team managers to modify their schedules, it is very complex, hard to use, hard to navigate, and reschedule things. Therefore, my team ends up having to do this. From a scheduling standpoint, this is actually causing more work than what we had with Excel spreadsheets.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

• The UI: It is easily navigable.
  • For our organization, sending notifications out via subscriptions for outages.

What needs improvement?

• On-call management scheduling is difficult.
  • We would like to see the integration between our ITSM solution and xMatters.

Three to five years.

We have had outages with the product. We have experienced functionality (defects), such as conference bridges can only be opened for four hours at a time and people get kicked out. That has caused some issues during some of our longer outages.

We have not contacted tech support regarding this, because usually by the time we get a chance to do it, the system is already back online. We have had some outages in the Asia Pac region. We have had only about two outages in the North America region regarding messaging. Most of the outages have been in the European or Asia Pacific region.

If you are willing to pay for the licensing of it, it is able to scale out. Also, the integration that they currently have with ServiceNow is very limited.

The customer service is quite responsive. They are quick to answer your calls or emails. They do provide good support. Even the customer service tech support side of things is fine.

It was complex in that the integration was very basic in order to apply it to real world situations. It had to be significantly customized and we have three integration points right now with our one ticketing tool which only handles for incidents. It does not handle any of our other processes. It is also very complex in that xMatters does not have the ability to clone what I have built in production back to our Dev environment to do any other further testing or development of the tool. It all has to be manually created and manipulated. So, that is a huge miss.

I do not think it is worth the value. I think it costs too much. It does not do anything significant over what some out-of-the-box functionality of the ITSM tool can do.

I would advise people to really look at their use cases to make sure that the scheduling portion of it meets their current business requirements as far as rotation goes. This tool works great if the team rotates on a perfect rotation. If it is a small team, it will rotate weekly or rotate daily. If you have any complex leave through it at all, it will not work very effectively. Then, you have to apply bushwhack-type solutions to it.

Then, in pricing, you are limited on your number of SMS messages that you can send a month and the licensing cost annually.

This product was already purchased by the time I came to the company. I just had to implement it. Because of budget and our mandatory upgrades in ServiceNow, we just have not had time to devote to developing the functionality within ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

Be very careful on what type of use cases you have. It is going to require a lot of customization in order to meet real world requirements for sending out notifications. It seems to work decent for major incidents as long as the major incidents are short and sweet.

Again, it does require custom code to notify on subscriptions and a limitation on your subscription templates is an issue as well.