Yammer Review

All parts of the organisation can share ideas and best practices.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the ability to reach all parts of the organisation to share ideas and best practices.

Improvements to My Organization

Getting people to first share their ideas, and then for others to then respond and help out has been a key feature of our Yammer usage.

Room for Improvement

The ability to edit posts can be frustrating for some. The versioning control could also be better. Some of these issues have to do with training and changing entrenched behaviours.

Use of Solution

We have been using the product since June 2014.

Stability is pretty good and you can 'optimise' suggested solutions like video size and definition for your own network capabilities.

I have not encountered any scalability issues, except for taxonomy and groups admin but that is a good problem to have.

Technical support is very good; I only require minimal support from my internal team.

We had Jive and switched for a couple of reasons: interoperability with other systems and a switch to a more easy to use and understand system. The translation feature is incredibly useful for a multilingual company like ours, especially with the Asian language coverage.

Setup was relatively straightforward, with normal provisions for single sign on and governance. The complex part was the migration of content from the old system to the new, which required an enormous amount of effort.

Plan carefully and inform your users and power users straightforwardly and openly about the changes.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing as part of the wider deal should be considered, as well as getting value for money when reaching out to external parties.

Other Solutions Considered

We are not evaluating other options at this stage; our initial evaluation occurred when we set out on this process in 2011.

Other Advice

Understand the limitations and embrace them.

2 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

Bob, how do you plan on addressing the limitations of post-editing and versioning control?

28 September 16
Associate Director, AIA Edge at AIAReal User

I don't address those directly as it does enhance the notion that this space is where you come to get work done and not focus on the small things like typos. If it is bad enough then delete the post and re type. Versioning control can be dealt with by the Out of the box tolls incorporated in word etc now.

16 December 16