Yammer Review

Enables knowledge sharing, internal communication, and collaboration between teams.

What is most valuable?

Knowledge sharing between co-workers is a valuable feature. It helps develop a knowledge-sharing culture. It encourages working together and smooths out work relationships.

How has it helped my organization?

In my previous organization, we used Yammer to share what we were working on, be it big or small projects. This brought about innovative ideas from co-workers. This often completely changed the way we work on a project.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other Office 365 products can be improved to create a smooth interaction with Outlook. The users and their email addresses should be the same across all platforms, as they are owned by one company.

I have used this solution for six years.

No stability issues were experienced. However, it was a steep change from the old days where we had a lot of unstable versions. That made it difficult for us, i.e., the enablers that needed to lobby the staff so that they would change the traditional way of working.

We had some scalability issues. The main challenge was to bring the top management on board. For Yammer to be successful in your organization, you will need buy-in from management.

Management always asks about the added-value, impact, and the results. This is very difficult to measure unless the solution has already been implemented.

The Yammer staff is very quick to help. There is an external network for anyone to join. It is set up for users to ask questions and get help. The level is very professional and quick.

We used our own intranet for collaboration and engagement which was less-functional and buggy at times to fix.

The setup was very straightforward. You can just join by using your company's email address. All your profile information is imported to Yammer and vice versa.

My organization invested a significant amount of money in the Office 365 package. Yammer is a must, if you plan to work on improving the internal communication and collaboration among your staff.

We did not evaluate other options, as it came in the package with Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

You will need a strategy on how to bring people on board. For example, you can use short trainings/webinars to explain the importance of the tool and how to do the basics. Before all of that, the management has to believe in it and agree to use it.