Yammer Review

People from around the world can share posts, create polls, and make group announcements. I want more control over the all network feed.

What is most valuable?

The ability for people from anywhere around the world, from any team, to connect and share their posts in groups, create polls, make group announcements, and provide feedback and recognition posts.

How has it helped my organization?

• In its simplicity, it has given our people across our organization and around the world a voice
  • Helped people to network, ask questions, and get answers
  • Helped people to share activity and best practices
  • Segments liked-minded people together
  • Creates engagement
  • Allows people to give feedback and improve our culture

What needs improvement?

It's constantly evolving and Microsoft allows users to suggest ideas to improve.

There's always going to be room for improvement, because it's not the answer for everything. But it is a start.

For me, it's about:

• Having more control over the all network feed
  • Improving how people filter the good stuff from all the noise
  • Allowing you to make certain important posts sticky at the top
  • Improving the removal process of people who are no longer with your business
  • Better integration with Microsoft products in the cloud

I have used Yammer for about three years.

There are not problems with stability. It's all Microsoft stuff, so it’s pretty well managed.

We have had no scalability issues.

I haven't used support yet, but plan to soon.

We didn't have a previous solution.

It was a really simple setup. You can either join Yammer Freemium or purchase an Enterprise Office 365 licenses, which includes Yammer. I'd recommend this approach.

Go for a corporate/enterprise license to give you full admin control of Yammer, rather than the limited free version.

We didn’t look at alternatives, simply because this social network came with the license. Therefore, it was a one-time price.

What other advice do I have?

First consider whether you plan to purchase a license. If not, then I'd look into other software to suit your needs. If, however, you are investing in Microsoft software for your business, then Yammer is a great product.

Really understand what you need in terms of socially connecting your people and teams. If your teams are spread across a country or around the world, this is a great way of connecting everyone together.

Make sure you invest a bit of time to train, guide, and build up a solid and competent community manager network.