Yammer Review

Allows everyone within the organization to have a voice.

What is most valuable?

The ability to easily communicate and engage with the entire organization is my favorite feature, as it allows everyone within the organization to have a voice.

How has it helped my organization?

It is especially valuable for multi-site and multi-region organizations. It allows for input, feedback, and discourse regardless of where the users are.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the customization and administration aspects of the product. Being able to edit posts with a revision history is a long sought-after feature.

I have used this solution for five years.

I have never experienced any major stability issues.

As the product is a hosted solution, the scalability from an infrastructure perspective in non-existent. However, there can be some hiccups in scaling the usage to different sites or regions, i.e., if they do not know how to best use and harness the power of Yammer.

The technical support is outstanding, and the Yammer team is open and responsive on issues, feedback, and suggestions.

Prior to Yammer, the go-to collaboration for the enterprise was generally SharePoint team sites.

The product is bundled with all the Office 365 levels, and is an invaluable part of the package.

We looked at other solutions including HipChat, Campfire and Teambox.

What other advice do I have?

If you're a business that has Office 365, then utilizing Yammer should be a no-brainer. I'd recommend allowing users to create groups as they see fit, but it may be worth setting up the naming and branding standards when doing so. This ensures, that regardless of where the users go on Yammer, they'll have similar experiences across all the groups.