Zabbix Review

Poor server monitoring, does not scale well, and lacks performance

What is our primary use case?

Our company works with the health ministry in our country. We implement the solution for them and they use it as a monitoring solution in order to watch trends and server patterns, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well for monitoring our on-site server.

Sometimes, the server can go down. When this happens, the solution has the capability to alert us to problems and will automatically notify us of any issues via email.

The implementation process is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The server monitoring could be better.

I'm not well versed in Zabbix, so it's difficult for someone like me to handle the setup. They should work to make the implementation much easier. It would improve the useability of the solution.

The solution needs to have a higher quality of performance. Performance is very important to our clients, and this solution doesn't perform very well. The quality and code are difficult.

The solution does not scale well.

We've been using the solution for one year.

HIgh performance is important to us, and this solution just doesn't offer it. It's unreliable. The quality just isn't there right now.

Our company needs a solution that can scale, and this product does not offer good scalability. It's one of its biggest downsides. If a company needs to expand the solution, they'll find that they won't be able to effectively.

We haven't had any issues with technical support. They've satisfied our needs to far. We don't have any complaints about the service they offer their clients.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's fairly easy to implement and set up.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Zabbix user. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution three out of ten. I would rate it higher if there was better scalability potential and the performance was of a much higher quality.

Private Cloud
More Zabbix reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Nagios Core
Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarDavid Collier
Top 5LeaderboardReseller

I'm surprised that you believe that scalability and performance are an issue. Having said that, much depends on the configuration that is implemented. I'm not suggesting that this is the case with your implementation, but we have often seen customers simply implementing the Zabbix "appliance" (a single VM) as a production instance. A full Zabbix implementation is highly scalable and performant with many hundreds of thousands of "values per second" possible. Of course, as with any monitoring software it does require a degree of administration. For example, if you are using only a single server for Zabbix you may wish to consider splitting the web server, zabbix server and database across multiple VM's. We also implement multiple web server front-end which are load balanced.

It's also possible to tune the number of pollers that are running to further improve performance.

I hope that gives you some ideas.