Zabbix Review

Straightforward interface and no issues with stability, but the discovery process is not fully automated

What is our primary use case?

We are using Zabbix as our network monitoring solution. We are now trying to understand how to use the service assurance functionality, as we would like to leverage Zabbix for this task.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is service assurance.

The interface is pretty straightforward. As long as the agent is running on another instance and Zabbix is able to connect to the agent, we haven't seen any issues.

What needs improvement?

Zabbix claims that there is an auto-discovery process but my team member was facing difficulty and was told that it's not really automatic, and there are some manual steps.

We have been working with Zabbix for the past month. We are conducting a proof of concept with it.

We are not yet using Zabbix very much. We have spawned the Zabbix server and only a couple of AWS instances are running, which it is monitoring. This is to make sure there are no billing problems in AWS. At the end of the day, we stop the Zabbix monitoring. The next day when we come in, we start it again.

At this point, with our limited usage, we have not seen any issues with stability. Perhaps, once it has been running full-time for a week or longer, we may hit those types of issues.

During our PoC, we only have two technical people working with it.

This is the first monitoring product that we have worked with. Prior to this, we were dealing with NMS and CMS products.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. We did not face any issues and it was up and running within a day.

Our in-house technician completed the deployment.

This is an open-source solution that can be used free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, it is too early for me to recommend Zabbix one way or the other, as we have just scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Zabbix reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Nagios Core
Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.