For how long have you used this product?
- Approximately since Jan/2012
Which features of this product are most valuable to you?
- The ability to monitor IT Services (SLA) as a whole and not just counters on particular systems.
Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions?
- It provided us with the ability to monitor on a reliable way service levels acquired from several network services provided by interconnect devices.
What areas of this product have room for improvement?
- With no doubt one of the areas that has a lot to improve is the reporting capability. Zabbix is a fantastic system for technicians but not as good as the competition to build reports, specially reports for management/not technical.
Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability?
- The current version has more detailed documentation but when we first deployed Zabbix (version 1.4) some areas were not very well documented and we had some issues. Nothing that prevented us from deploying the solution but made it a bit harder to do, in particular to configure the agents on Windows servers and configure the needed counters.
Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch?
- I've used several other solutions in the past, from the "standard" Nagios to Cacti, Solarwinds, Spiceworks, Zenoss, etc.
Before choosing this product, did you evaluate other options? If so, which ones?
- I really knew well other solutions and if Zabbix wouldn't do what we needed, I had other options. Nagios or Cacti would be the chosen ones.
How would you rate the level of customer service and technical support?
- I've never needed to contact customer service or technical support but used the Community Forum to answer some questions/implementation difficulties.
Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways?
- The first installation was a bit complex due to lack of proper/extensive documentation. Subsequent upgrades have gone smother due to improvements on the documentation and hands-on experience with the Zabbix particularities.
Did you implement through a vendor team or an in-house one? If through a vendor team, how would you rate their level of expertise?
- The implementation was done 100% in-house as I have a good expertise level on such systems.
What is your ROI on this product?
- Zabbix is Open-Source and because we did an in-house implementation the costs can be summarized to a part of one server, due to the implementation on a virtual environment.
What was your original setup cost for this product and what is your day-to-day cost of using this product?
- The setup cost was only the man power hour costs and it really has no day-to-day costs.
What advice would you give to others looking into implementing this product?
- My advice would be to plan well what you need to monitor first - define which systems and which counters you really need to monitor - and start slow, one thing at a time.