Zabbix Review

Being able to monitor almost any device in one location is extremely convenient

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring systems and services that don't have their own solution in our environment. Single place to monitor multiple systems and processes. We monitor servers, websites, key card devices, etc..

How has it helped my organization?

Before we didn't really have a centrally managed monitoring solution, so adding this product has been a blessing as we are able to actively monitor and react accordingly. Being able to monitor almost any device in one location is extremely convenient.

What is most valuable?

The feature which I like the most would have to be the GUI. At first, I was put off, as I felt it was too complex or busy. Upon using it to setup devices, I found it was well laid out and has come a long way.

What needs improvement?

I wish it had more options for personalizing the product, such as being able to include your company's logo without editing text files. More templates for specific devices.

More than one year.

None yet. Runs solid on very light resources.

Not yet, but as of now, it's a single server - might have to dive in at some point with the proxy configuration.

I have used publicly available resources. I can't comment on their customer service.

We used Cacti, which worked well for our uses. We moved because we needed a more updated solution that had support for a myriad of devices. The community is also active in development of plugins.

It's a decently complex system to get setup, it's not a simple package based system (well technically it is, but not as easy as others). It's also not as extreme as Nagios or Prometheus. We added Grafana, which made it a little more complex.

In-house team.

Time and knowledge. Without it, we wouldn't have known of current issues in our environments. It allows us to deep dive and get to the core issues quicker.

It's open source, so no cost/licensing needed.

Nagios, Prometheus, Check_MK, Adagios, Icinga 2, Zenoss, PRTG, and Cacti.

What other advice do I have?

Zabbix coupled with Grafana (there's a plugin for Zabbix, very easy to setup), is a great monitoring stack. Leveraging "Let's Encrypt for SSL" is also a must!

4 visitors found this review helpful