Zapier Review
Creates business rules and workflows without the need to code.

Valuable Features

• The concept of creating business rules and workflows without the need to code
  • The great number of Zaps available
  • The ease of creating Zaps

Improvements to My Organization

Our business is an online travel agency. We have created some Zaps that automatically create Zendesk tickets when a booking is made. We also receive Pushover messages in our smartphones when a booking is made or when there are errors.

Room for Improvement

I would expect to see more Zapier-own-built apps that provide business rule capabilities. The current apps are basically acting as an interface. It would be interesting to be able to create business rules within the Zap, connecting to databases and such.

For more detail:

Zapier has a set of self-developed apps- webhooks by Zapier, Formatter by Zapier, Code by Zapier, etc. I would be interesting for me to at least to have more apps of Zapier that enable me to create more complex logic flows.

For example, let’s say I want to create a Zap where I can input some data and based on some logic and some static values, there is an output to that data.

An example of this application would be a simplified fraud prevention tool for ecommerce where there is an input of several parameters from the customer and the output is the result of the fraud scoring from 0 to 100.

There would be several steps where, based on the input parameters and several key,value dictionaries, in every step a partial score would be added so that finally there would be a final score in the output. For example, one dictionary would be country/score so that the partial score of the credit card country or the IP country would be added to the total score.

Another example would be to have a Zap to manage A/B testing. There would be again an input with the navigation parameters, and an output to send the customer to the A or B funnel. The decision would be made based on the parameters and/or adding an random factor so it would be possible to send for example 70% of the customers to A and 30% to B.

So, to achieve these two examples, I would expect to have:

- Input/output interfaces: there is already a Zap called webhooks that would do the job.

- Static values: there is a zap called storage but it would be great to have a zap that can connect to remote databases.

- Decision steps. I miss a zap to configure complex decision flows. Maybe it could be a Zap of Zaps.

- Maths. For the example of the random factor and any other math function it would be nice to have a zap that can apply math functions to the input values.

To be fair, there is a zap to do all this, “code by zapier” that gives a lot of flexibility as you can code freely whatever you need. But as I pointed out, the great of Zapier is precisely the fact that you don’t need to code to build workflows. So, if I use Zapier and I end up having to code, it loses its sense in my opinion.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using Zapier for the last eight months.

I did not encounter any deployment issues.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support is very good. I got the proper answer immediately via webchat.

I did not use anything previous to this solution.

The setup was quite straightforward. I encountered some issues that were solved very quickly by customer support.

Implementation Team

I did it in-house. In fact, I did it myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I think the price is interesting for startups that need to focus on their core and want to solve interface issues quickly. But the minute there are resources to cope with these interfaces, the price is too high to compete with in-house development.

Other Advice

As I said before, it is very interesting for quick wins with a lack of resources.