Zapier Review

Ability to connect almost any API to another API.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to easily connect almost any API to another API. We can get synergy that wasn't available before.
  • Ability to use logical functions and multi-step algorithms for these connections, thus we can avoid triggering certain processes or workflows when we don't want to.
  • Customize the web-hook handler which allows us to easily connect our internal applications with all the third-party tools that we use for our business

How has it helped my organization?

Improved communication and efficiency through interconnection of instant messaging, email, CRM, ERP and ticket management systems is the main output of using Zapier at Glispa.

Glispa doubled its number of employees last year and this brought a challenge of scaled communication. It was easy to be on the same page when you work in one comparatively small team, but when you have two hundred people with different goals it is hard to be aligned and deliver the best for our clients. However, there are tools which can help teams to be on the same page such email, instant messaging services or CRM tools. The drawback of all these systems is that they are usually independent and updates in one of them will not be seen in another.

With Zapier we tried to connect them and it worked out really well. One of the basic examples can be automation that we use to onboard our customers and handover from sales to account management team. When a sales manager moves his or her deal to the "setup" stage in CRM system with Zapier we send notification to responsible account managers on Slack. If certain crucial information was omitted in a deal, another Zapier automation will send a pre-filled Google form to the sales manager with a request to fill the gaps. When it is done, the account manager gets a nice and shiny handover form and is able to act in a timely manner. Moreover, a respective account is automatically created for the new customer in our ERP system, thus saving the account manager's time.

What needs improvement?

What I miss the most is the ability to share my Zaps with my teammates. If/Then/Else branching for multistep Zaps is the closest next thing. So far, you only have the filtering function "If criteria are met then continue, else stop the workflow", but I do want to define what should be done if criteria are not met.

Also I want to know a little bit more about my Zaps. Now I can see the history of the executed Zaps and see its status (If it is on or off). But I would like to know when it was last updated, if it has any tags (such as "beta" or "do not touch") and also get a quick summary re its performance for the last 7d (number of times it was executed, how many times it was successful).

We have used this solution for two years.

Yes, I personally used for my private automations. I also had some experience with IFTT, but the latter looks significantly weaker in terms of functionality and usability. I also know of an open source project called "Node Red". It looks promising and can give additional flexibility and reliability. However, it requires programming skills.

We did it on our own. I guess vendor's assistance is unnecessary.

We define value by comparing the amount of time that we could have spent developing integrations on our own with the price of Zapier's licence. In casual cases, we saves the time of one full-time developer. It makes total sense to use the paid version of the Zapier. But when it comes to automation of actions that happen more than 5000 times a day, it makes more sense to invest time and money into one's own solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to save money on developer efforts and get quick automation, Zapier is the tool. And if your Zap runs more than 1000 times a day, it shows you where development efforts are actually required.