ZAPTEST Review

The most valuable feature for us is the ability to write and execute regression test scripts for a variety of GUI-based systems, particularly Oracle ERP applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the ability to write and execute regression test scripts for a variety of GUI-based systems, particularly Oracle ERP applications which have many environmental idiosyncrasies and quirks, the most troublesome of which are obsolete versions of Java.

Another valuable feature is ZAPTEST's ability to build in test logic employing VBScript or JavaScript to evaluate test conditions and execute different actions accordingly.

ZAPTEST also has the ability to perform subroutines and function calls in VBScript.

It has the ability to pass parameters from one test script to another, be it a hierarchical parent (calling), test script child (called), test script relationship, or a peer-to-peer test script relationship.

Finally, it has the ability to set global parameters. This is crucial for being able to move from one test to environment to another.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to reduce turnaround time for the Oracle Point-of-Sale (POS) application releases. These run on touchscreen cash registers in a Linux environment as well as web-based managerial functions in Oracle Central Office and Oracle Back Office.

We have written and we execute ZAPTEST regression packages that call and execute literally hundreds of individual regression tests which emulate actions of a cashier at the Oracle POS touchscreen cash register, a store manager in Oracle Back Office, or a manager in Oracle Central Office.

The manpower required to manually execute the regression tests we perform with ZAPTEST in one overnight run would be impossible. We have neither the manpower nor the hardware to support such a labor intensive endeavor.

What needs improvement?

The save function should be fixed so that I no longer have to add a space to a step and then follow it with a backspace to reenable the save icon.

We need to be able to copy object repository objects from one test script to another. Currently the object repository in ZAPTEST 15.0.75 is local. This makes it impossible to reuse objects (screens) that have been previously scanned and defined in other test scripts.

It would be nice if ZAPTEST would support a global object repository. This would allow a ZAPTEST script programmer to reuse screens from a central object repository library when writing a new test script. This would save lots of development time.

I've used it for 21 months now.

One needs to follow recommendations of the ZAPTEST vendor.

Early versions of ZAP-fiX and ZAPTEST had stability problems, but things have improved greatly, especially with ZAPTEST 15.0.75.

We haven't had scalability issues since we employed a ZAPTEST license server and purchased an adequate number of licenses.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent. ZAPTEST product development has been very responsive to our feedback and has incorporated many improvements to the product we have asked for. They are a nimble firm that is very focused on customer response and improvement of their product.

We tried using HP Unified Functional Testing (UFT). It had great history (Mercury) and potential, but in its present form proved not to be a nimble product. It was a nightmare to set up and configure. We had many problems getting it to work with the Oracle ERP product suite. It could not handle the obsolete Java versions. HP UFT customer support was extremely difficult to engage, loathe to own any problem with their tool, and were in general less than responsive. It just seemed like HP put their HP UFT customer support team on a starvation diet.

Considering the power of this tool, it is quite straightforward to set it up, even with the ZAPTEST License Server option for multiple concurrent licenses.

We initially implemented this in-house. Once we got our feet wet with ZAPTEST, we engaged the vendor for help with more complex regression testing challenges.

I am told the price of the product is very reasonable, but I have no financial or contractual insight as to what was purchased or agreed upon. There is the ability to evaluate ZAPTEST for free.

We evaluated HP UFT and a couple of other tools. I was not privy to evaluation of other products other than HP UFT and ZAPTEST.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the resources you identify for writing and maintaining ZAPTEST scripts either have or receive VBScript or JavaScript training. You don’t have to have journeyman skills in these languages, but it helps to be able to use them for performing basic programming functions.

More ZAPTEST reviews from users