Zarafa Review

Our customers are able to use this groupware solution to connect to Active Directory and OpenLDAP, although Postgres support would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

Zarafa has several very valuable features, among them a very good Outlook-like web interface.

Furthermore, ZPush for talking between ActiveSync and mobile devices is a valuable asset.

In addition, one is able to connect via Outlook and the exchange protocol to Zarafa. This makes Zarafa a free, and working, alternative to Microsoft Exchange.

How has it helped my organization?

I mostly installed Zarafa for customers. They found it to be a lightwight groupware solution with many enterprise features, such as connecting to Active Directory or OpenLDAP.

What needs improvement?

As far as I know, only MySQL is supported. It would be great to also have Postgres support, but I am not sure if this is possible in a technical way because Zarafa has very specific requirements when it comes to storing MAPI objects in a database.

I was using it for more than two years.

You should be aware that Zarafa will create a lot of database entries, so you should tune MySQL (especially the InnoDB options).

Not really, although the Zarafa-index component was using a lot of memory and disk I/O bandwith.

I used Kolab, but connecting via Outlook was only possible with IMAP or a MAPI connector (and all of them were not working very well). Zarafa, instead, supports MAPI in a natural way.

Initial setup is very easy if you are an experienced Linux user/admin.