Qbi1s dk 400x400

Zeenyx AscentialTest Review
Our university students who enter our tests have found it easy to master with minimal assistance, but classes could be more object-oriented.

Valuable Features:

Most visual components can be defined by simple drag and drop operations. Reusing the defined objects is intuitive. For more complicated components, Identifying windows and window components is flexible and powerful. Complicated test steps can be defined and reused, particularly helpful for test setup. Adding functionality to visual object classes has helped us extend features of AscentialTest.

The most valuable feature of AscentialTest for us is that it fully supports PowerBuilder.

Improvements to My Organization:

I have undergraduate Computer Science students entering all of our tests and they have found it easy to master with minimal assistance from me. The savings from using entry-level programmers instead of experienced staff to code tests has more than covered the cost of AscentialTest.

Room for Improvement:

Classes are not as object-oriented as I would like, but I am a programmer and not QA so I expect a lot. The interface has a lot of features and took a while for me to master, although I have to say transferring that to my part-time programmers has been very easy.

Use of Solution:

I started reviewing AscentialTest in June 2014 and purchased it in September of that year.

Deployment Issues:

Installation is straightforward. I struggled a little setting up the license initially but once I got it right it has been easy to deploy to new machines. On some computers I have a problem with a few tests that check the help file, something about how the tests start our application that fails to open the file properly.

Stability Issues:

I have managed to crash the program a few times but have never lost any work. But this is rare and I don't consider stability a concern with AscentialTest.

Scalability Issues:

Scalability is not a issue for us. We have a single license and deploy it on various computers or multi-boot machines to test different operating systems and setups.

Customer service is excellent. I have always gotten a quick response and my questions are answered thoroughly. Almost all of my customer service and technical support has been through the CEO.

Support is fantastic. Patient, helpful, thorough, great at follow-up, willing to incorporate new features into the next version. I have never encountered technical support as good as Zeenyx.

Previous Solutions:

Prior to AscentialTest we did only manual testing, with over 1500 scripted tests. Manual testing was problematic because it diverted people away from other urgent tasks. With automated tests we can run tests as needed instead of when we can schedule it.

Initial Setup:

Setting up the software was not terribly complicated, although it took a little work to get the license right the first time. The learning curve was a little steep for me, but with reusable steps once we got the difficult parts figured out writing tests was not hard.

Implementation Team:

I did all the implementation, with phone support from AscentialTest as needed. I spent a lot of time ironing out issues with the initial tests, which were fairly complicated but represented most of what our application does.

ROI:

I have not attempted to calculate ROI. We are still entering tests from our manual testing system and have yet to determine how much personnel time it will take to run all the tests during a production release.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

We are a non-profit so the initial cost was a concern. During my evaluation I found that the price was comparable to similar test automation products. After adding in the cost of support AscentialTest was

Other Solutions Considered:

I evaluated other automation options primarily through on-line information, speaking with technical support, and price. I did attempt to work with open-source test automation and did not find anything that worked well with PowerBuilder. I did an extensive hands-on evaluation of AscentialTest but not on any other commercial products, mainly because they did not support PowerBuilder as well as AscentialTest and therefore did not seem worth the investment.

Other Advice:

Great support, powerful tool, easy enough for entry-level staff to use. I am very happy with AscentialTest and would recommend it highly.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Zeenyx AscentialTest?

Our experts can help. 209,461 professionals have used our research on 5,561 solutions.