Zendesk Review

The UI allowed our service reps to capture and log all activity related to an inquiry much faster than before. The inability to design a what-you-see-is-what-you-get interface affects rep performance.

Valuable Features

Zendesk helps differentiate our staff into the different business units that they are responsible for.

Additionally, this add-on helps us with reporting on the specific areas of the business we need to track separately.

Second to the add-on is the Help Center. In conjunction with the multi-brand feature, using the Help Center by brand allows us to segment answers by business segment and allows our customers to find an answer before they contact support. The helpdesk feedback and tracking allows us to monitor if a helpdesk article is effective or not, thus allowing us to consistently improve our helpdesk service.

Improvements to My Organization

The overall user interface was a vast improvement over our previous tool. It allowed our service reps to capture and log all activity related to an inquiry much faster than before.

The semi-integration between Zopim and Zendesk works without a problem as well, and was well received by the team as being easier to use than our previous tool.

Room for Improvement

Reporting by Tags – this is not as effective as allowing reps to disposition tickets themselves. The knowledge base search is also old and only keyword based. Any large knowledge base – much like Zendesk Corporate Knowledgebase – will return many irrelevant responses.

Also, the inability to design a what-you-see-is-what-you-get interface for the reps unfortunately can affect rep performance as they have to scroll past field they don’t need to touch.

To date we have had no issues with scalability.

Service and Support are excellent. Whilst the knowledge base leaves a lot to be desired and the push to use the community is as annoying as it is unreliable, if you do contact support they are responsive and thorough.

We used a support product from Oracle. It had all the bells and whistles, however it was dated and very expensive as well as hard to maintain without a developer. Zendesk saves us over $50,000 per year and can be maintained in-house by our staff.

Deployment was very easy. In fact, very little assistance was needed from Zendesk Support.

If you understand CRM strategy and basic set up you can start using Zendesk out-of-the-box. Customization and maintenance are easy.

There are several shortcomings in the product when compared with other tools such as the ability to create child incidents, assign and track tasks related to the completion of an incident, and then to report on them are a challenge and require add-on tools.

Implementation Team

I implemented this tool myself. Their implementation coach was great, but there was little help other than coordination needed from Zendesk. I found many times they couldn’t offer a solution to my questions, and I either had to do a workaround or figure out a different way of doing things. When I did need to get engineering involved they were very helpful and engaged in developing a solution.

ROI

ROI is easily over $50,000 per year.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Licensing is fairly flexible and they have fairly standard licensing offerings. The sales team did work with us on a solution for our particular need.

Other Advice

Develop your reporting requirements early as you may have to implement customer fields or applications to be able to get what you need.

Also, document exceptions outside your normal service flow in order to get the Zendesk implementation team up to speed early to learn if what you want can be done.

Lastly, review the apps store to see what you might need so that you can implement those capabilities up front.