Zimbra Collaboration Review

I can manage all accounts from the console. Premium features don't break when you perform OS updates.

What is most valuable?

I like that I can easily manage all accounts from the management console. This allows real time control of each account. With the CLI, I can also control and manage all server functions or any mailbox, for free.

Premium features, such as auto discovery and archiving, mobile management and HSM, make life much easier. Once implemented, they don't break when you perform OS updates.

How has it helped my organization?

When my clients moved from POP3 to IMAP and ActiveSync, they were able to port the complete mailbox. Additionally, Zimbra allows them to centrally manage and store all their emails.

What needs improvement?

The following areas could be improved:

• Backup
  • Autodiscover
  • Antispam
  • Mobile

I think being able to purchase individual packages would be better than having all the features included in one big package.

I’ve been using Zimbra for more than 4 years.

We had a couple of issues with stability, but nothing that I couldn't work around or fix myself. Zimbra is a powerful product, but since VMware bought it, changes and bug fixes have been very slow in coming.

The main format for technical support is forum-based with tickets. This is not appropriate for big enterprises.

I have used Microsoft Exchange and PostFix. The main reason for switching to a Zimbra deployment is the cost in time.

The first time I performed a setup it was harder than expected. I only had basic Linux skills and Zimbra installation wasn't as straightforward as it is now.

As I mentioned before regarding free products, we expect the end user to figure out how to make it work. When we pay, then we can complain.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Zimbra for small and medium-sized businesses. Even larger enterprises could benefit from it. If they have a good system administrator and are willing to learn, they could reduce costs and improve performance, while increasing productivity as well.