Zoom Review

Easy to set up, the breakout rooms are useful, and setting up a meeting is easy with the Mozilla plug-in

What is our primary use case?

I use Zoom for keeping in touch with friends in the UK. We've done a virtual open-mic concert and also done virtual pop-quizzes on it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the breakout room, which we found useful for the pop quiz.

The Mozilla extension is useful to schedule meetings.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to see and control whether you're muted or not, so the interface should be improved.

When people are messaging, often they accidentally message the entire group rather than a single person. This is something else that can be made more clear.

Security is a concern with this product, so I would not do anything commercial using it. The need to work on their reputation as far as security goes.

I started using Zoom about two weeks ago.

The stability is fine and we haven't had any issues. However, many people aren't convinced that it's robust enough to be a corporate tool at the moment.

It can handle lots of users.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

We tried to use Skype, but the problem with Skype is that it doesn't work on Apple Macs. It says that it does, but it never logs in. Because of this, we had to find an alternative.

We use Microsoft Teams for work-related communication, whereas I use Zoom for personal conferencing. I would say that Microsoft Teams is a little more corporate, as you need to have a Microsoft account.

It was easy enough to set up.

I have been using the free version of Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Zoom is that it is ok for social use. It's easy to use and it supports a lot of users. It is easy to set up as a free service.

More Zoom reviews from users
...who compared it with Skype for Business
Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.