Zscaler Internet Access Review

The web proxy feature blocks malicious sites so that end users don't inadvertently get compromised

What is our primary use case?

We leverage it for web proxy and web security.

How has it helped my organization?

All internet access flows through the Zscaler proxy, regardless of whether people are in office or remote. I have greater control site access and I minimize the number of compromises that we experience to almost none.

What is most valuable?

Generally, the web proxy feature blocks malicious sites so that my end users don't inadvertently get compromised.

What needs improvement?

It needs better integration with other applications. It takes a fair amount of regular activity to apply the by-passes because it is very strict in its restrictions and frequently you have to go in and open things up to allow the workforce to work.

The logs that are consumed by our security solution could be a bit more definitive, from an audit perspective. It's sometimes difficult to determine which end user a particular generated alert is associated with.

Stability is good. We have a presence around the globe, it's very localized and that minimizes any kind of latency. Even though they still complain about it.

Scalability is good. Right now our internal workforce is around 120. I have no plans to increase the usage for now. They do have some features we don't use currently.

Technical support is effective.

In the past, we did use some other products. We used OpenDNS which subsequently became Umbrella. Zscaler is easier to manage than OpenDNS but now I think that product is even.

There is a short learning curve on the setup, so it's not complex, but it's not necessarily trivial either. The entire deployment took two to three hours.

We have about 1.5 persons who manage all of our internal IT apps.

We did the implementation ourselves.

There aren't any additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

Pay attention to the Zscaler recommended best practices. Don't try to figure it out on your own. Go with what they say to do.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.