3scale API Management Overview

3scale API Management is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to IBM API Connect: 3scale API Management vs IBM API Connect

What is 3scale API Management?

3scale is an API management platform that delivers flexible, highly scalable solutions to package, distribute, control, and monetize your APIs, giving you the power to make the most of your API program.

• Share company data, content, or services through Web or mobile applications.
  • Provide an API to external organizations, internal teams, or both.
  • Avoid the hassle and constant maintenance of building a solution from scratch.

3scale delivers centralized API management features through a distributed, cloud-hosted layer. The platform includes built-in features to help you build a more successful API program, including access control, rate limits, payment gateway integration, and developer experience tools.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

3scale API Management Customers

Victor Ops, Coca Cola, The Telegraph, Skava, Orange, Typeform

3scale API Management Video

NE
Co-Founder at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for 3scale is for promising internal and external exacts, as well as providing HIT to computers.

• "It's good that they aren't adding a lot of features like ESP, etc. It's okay with just being a gateway."
  • "I believe the CMS part of it has room for improvement though. That is where you write a couple of things if you want to publish your API. It's based on liquid scripting, which doesn't seem like the obvious ones to script with."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate 3scale as a seven or eight out of ten. I've had more issues with supporting it. Also, the CMS and Open API specification issues I mentioned above. Those things could be better or simpler.
KC
Principal Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good gateway and security features, but the developer portal needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. This is a container platform with a developer portal.

• "The most valuable features are the gateway and security features."
  • "It would be helpful to improve the customization features so that the customer can do it based on their own needs."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I like, and have a lot of interest in learning. It is one that I recommend to our clients. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Google, IBM and others in API Management. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sylvain Déjardin
TechOps Engineer - Middleware & Containers specialist at EBRC -European Business Reliance Centre
Really simple integration for developers workflow

What is our primary use case?

3scale: what a really good product to secure an unsecure API if you have multiple backend unsecured routes provided by an ESB (Red Hat Fuse), and available through one unique frontend acting as a secure gateway (with HTTPS protocol and API keys).