AccuRev OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AccuRev is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. It is most often compared to Jira: AccuRev vs Jira

What is AccuRev?
Software configuration management system for application, product or website development to help create your own program or application

Download the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

AccuRev Customers
Akcelerant, SDL, CSG, Avid Technology Inc., Azimuth Systems Inc, Drivecam, Endgame, f5 Networks, Follett Software, Hyland Software, Indanet, Kronos, McAfee
AccuRev Video

Archived AccuRev Reviews (more than two years old)

Victor Horescu
General Manager at iQST
Has tremendous scaling capacity and all of the functions and features you could need

• "The most valuable feature is the Business Process Testing feature, BPT, because it brings in the most revenue."
  • "In the next release, I would like to have a repository for the code which is embedded. Apart from that, it has everything I need."

How has it helped my organization?

The automation has helped to improve my organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Stability needs improvement. It has some minor defects that could be improved. The biggest issue with this product is not actually the product itself, but the lack of knowledge that customers have regarding what they can do with all of the features. They need to learn how to use and practice some particular functions. They need to learn about risk assessment and other facets. The customer's maturity is not equal to the product's full potential. The customers should get more training.

In the next release, I would like to have a repository for the code which is embedded. Apart from that, it has everything I need.

I have around seventeen years of experience with Micro Focus.

It's 98% stable.

It's 100% percent scalable. I have no problem with that. It has a tremendous capacity.

Everybody uses this solution. The company uses the solution. The users have different roles like business analysts, project managers - everybody is using it.

We do have plans to increase usage as our customer base grows.

I would rate their technical support as eight out of ten. For a simple problem, they are very fast and accurate but for the more complicated problems, their response tends to delay quite a lot because they need to do research. Sometimes we figure out the solution before they give us an answer.

In a tool like this, the responses can be complicated. If I were to compare it to another product on the market like JIRA, that is less complex, that will take less time to get an answer because it is a less complex product. This solution is more complex so it will take the support more time to research a solution. I understand why their responses can take a while. We can find answers online, from community support groups but the technical support can't search for an answer online.

I have used many solutions throughout my career, but this is the best there is. I chose this solution because of its complexity. It is not missing any functions or features. I can do anything I need to with it.

We prefer to install it for our customers but sometimes they prefer to do it themselves. The installation is very easy. There are no problems with it. It's not complicated at all. The deployment takes around one to one and a half days.

We have a permanent license.

What other advice do I have?

With this tool, I learned how to put together all the pieces from the life cycle and the interactions between departments. The theory which is embedded in the solution actually helped me to understand how all the departments in an IT department are interconnected and how they work. I went to some of my customers and just made the connection between the team based on what I learned from the tool. On top of that, I learned some business analyst tips and tricks on how to make a workflow useful. The most important thing I learned from this solution was how to interconnect people with different skills and make them work together.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

Victor Horescu
General Manager at iQST
Excellent for Business Process Testing with good scalability and an easy setup

• "The solution is 100% scalable. It's much more scalable than the customer's capacity for implementing it. We do plan to increase usage ourselves."
  • "What I'm missing from the solution is a repository for the code. Something like Git, for example. Some sort of depository for the code that is embedded."

How has it helped my organization?

The automation has been the biggest organizational improvement.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the BPT, the Business Process Testing.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be improved. It has some minor defects.

The biggest issue with this product is not actually the product itself, but the lack of knowledge of customers regarding what they could do with this solution. Customers need to learn about risk assessment and impact matters, etc. Without the clients understanding how to use the solution, the solution itself will not be useful.

I've been working with the solution for 16-17 years.

The solution is 98% stable. It's okay, but there are places where it could be improved.

Technical support is good. On a scale of one to ten, I would give them eight. For simple questions, they are quite responsive. They're very, very fast. For more difficult and technical problems they seem to delay their response. It takes them time to research an answer if it's technical. Sometimes we come up with a solution before they give us an answer.

We didn't use a different solution previously.

The initial setup is very easy. We have customers that implement it themselves. It's not complicated. Deployment takes about one day, maximum.

Ideally, we handle the implementation for our customers.

The license is very straightforward. There aren't any other add-ons. We have a permanent license.

We evaluated many options. We chose AccuRev because of the complexity. We can do anything on it.

What other advice do I have?

We typically deal with on-premises deployment models.

I would advise customers to understand the underlying concepts so that they are able to better understand how to use the solution.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, Atlassian and others in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user217122
Installer developer / CMSupport at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Source code management is a valuable feature but fixing its conflicts need to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Stability Replication OS portability Source code management

What needs improvement?

Source code conflicts are like evil twins.

I've used it for seven years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

We did have a previous solution and we switched because AccuRev is a better tool in general.

It was a complex setup.

What

What is most valuable?

• Stability
  • Replication
  • OS portability
  • Source code management

What needs improvement?

Source code conflicts are like evil twins.

I've used it for seven years.

9/10.

9/10.

It was a complex setup.

We implemented it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

• It's a stable product
  • Get support
Build, Release and Deployment Integrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
The stream structure is highly flexible but it needs work to improve performance relative to distributed SCM.

What is most valuable?

The automatic merging provided by AccuRev's unique stream inheritance model allows us to rapidly integrate in a multi-stream process model. AccuRev's change packages(Issues) let us promote by business request rather than try and remember all the changes we made for a business request. The flexible stream structure allows us to adapt to any SDLC we have in-house or want to experiment with.

How has it helped my organization?

AccuRev's stream structure is highly flexible and allows us to model any SDLC we need to. AccuRev Issues allows us to promote changes by business defined request instead of trying to remember what files and versions of files changed for a business request. This allows high visibility of what changes are in a given agile iteration and at what stage they are in the SDLC.

What needs improvement?

Because AccuRev is a centralized SCM, Microfocus will always need to work to improve performance relative to distributed SCM. A one to one match is not possible but they do allow integration with Git for those who prefer a distributed model.

I've used it for three years.

None. Administration is by far the easiest of the many SCM systems I have worked with.

None. Minor bugs have been encountered but they never left me with a feeling that we had a stability problem with AccuRev.

None so far. We have had three years of use after migrating from ClearCase UCM. We have migrated all developments into their own AccuRev depots on a single server with no degradation in performance.

Excellent. Our original pre-sales technical contact is now in a different position within the sales organization, but is still willing to field questions, and get the right resources involved to speed up the delivery of customer service. They also involve customers in sprint-reviews to provide input on upcoming major enhancements.

Excellent. The staff is very knowledgeable and willing to answer seemingly mundane questions quickly. They are also willing to involve deeper development resources quickly for more complicated questions.

We used ClearCase UCM before moving to AccuRev. We were tired of spending hundreds of man-hours a year working around limitations in ClearCase UCM. Our search for a new SCM system started with a very wide berth, and included both centralized and distributed systems. AccuRev was proven to be the best for our needs after an extensive evaluation.

AccuRev is extremely easy to install, administer and maintain. The most complicated step in our transition from ClearCase was in transferring baselines and work-in-progress from all our development streams. We worked closely with AccuRev on a plan and they came on site to monitor the cross-over.

A member of the AccuRev technical support staff came on-site during the cross-over weekend. We had planned and practiced the cross-over process with this person before he arrived. He monitored, advised and provided training to staff as the last step of our cross-over and he had a deep knowledge of the product. With lots of practice ahead of time, it meant he was mostly bored during his time with us.

In our internal purchasing process we estimated the savings in man-hours per iteration would be eight hours per 13 development teams per month. We have easily achieved this, and additionally, we moved from three ClearCase Admins to one and a half AccuRev Admins.

Of course there are acquisition costs associated with licensing. We also allocated a Windows VM internally, not a bug chunk of iron. We chose the most flexible licenses and spent a fair amount of time testing our cross-over plan in close cooperation with AccuRev tech support. The actual cross-over took one and a half days.

The day-to-day costs are minimal from an administrators perspective as we coach developers on the best way to achieve what they want to do.

We did an extensive evaluation based on internal functional and performance criteria. We looked at distributed and centralized SCM systems to replace our usage of ClearCase SCM. We evaluated:

• Git
  • Mercurial
  • SVN
  • Perforce
  • PlasticSCM
  • AccuRev.

What other advice do I have?

Get over the different nomenclature AccuRev uses as it really isn't a big deal. AccuRev has a very unique value proposition based on three features, in my opinion:

1. Flexible stream structure allows you to model any SDLC
  2. Stream Inheritance allows complex stream structures to integrate rapidly like they are all on "trunk"
  3. Built-in change packages through AccuRev Issues let developers and business owners promote by business request, not a collection of changes you hope match the business request
it_user212691
Associate Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User friendly interface and features

What is most valuable?

User friendly GUI Demote Change Packages

How has it helped my organization?

It has a user friendly UI which has been very much appreciated by our organization.

What needs improvement?

Performance Support for long stream structure Secondary master server Reporting

Using AccuRev for more than three years.

There was a challenge to convert data from the existing SCM tool to AccuRev.

The tool has an issue whereby it restarts its services on its own. We may not know when it will restart again, but we have asked the technical team to work on this. Hopefully, they will fix it soon.

What do I think about

What is most valuable?

User friendly GUI
Demote
Change Packages

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

• Performance
  • Support for long stream structure
  • Secondary master server
  • Reporting

Using AccuRev for more than three years.

There was a challenge to convert data from the existing SCM tool to AccuRev.

• Performance degrades when many users hit the server at the same time
  • The server process consumes more memory if it is running for many days

Customer service is good however, it would be better if they could provide on call support which helps us address issues ASAP. If not, we have to wait for their response on their ticket tool.

Good.

Previously we were using ClearCase. We switched to because of two reasons:

1. The user friendly UI
  2. License Cost
  3. Good features

We used a vendor team.

Yes, ClearCase/Perforce/CVS.

What other advice do I have?

Suitable tool for mid sized team

it_user3993
Developer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Good packaging features, but reporting is limited.

Valuable Features:

Easy to use on Window platform. Good feature set. Allows custom applications for merge and difference engines. Allows cross promotion between streams. Good packaging features.

Room for Improvement:

Limited reporting features for management.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Limited reporting features for management.
Download our free Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, Atlassian, and more!