Acronis Backup Overview

Acronis Backup is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Backup tools. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Acronis Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Acronis Backup?

Acronis Backup 12.5 is the world’s easiest and fastest backup solution for all your data, whether it is located on-premises, in remote systems, in private and public clouds, or on mobile devices. With enhanced backup validation and blockchain-based authentication of your backups with Acronis Notary, Acronis Backup 12.5 is the most reliable backup solution on the market today.

Available in Standard and Advanced editions, Acronis Backup 12.5 protects data on 21 platforms. With active protection from ransomware, 15-second Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs), and backups that are two times faster than the closest competitor, it is easiest to-use, fastest, most secure and complete backup solution available today.

Acronis Backup simplifies the management of data protection and reduces IT manual efforts with innovative features that automate data protection. These features include a zero-installation, unified touch-friendly web-based console to manage backup and recovery of all workloads and data, agentless and agent-based backups; and flexible granular, bare-metal, and dissimilar hardware recovery options.

Acronis Backup is also known as Acronis Backup, Acronis Backup 12.5 Standard, Acronis Backup 12.5 Advanced.

Acronis Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Acronis Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Acronis Backup Customers

Kings Academy, Rush Memorial, Pentagon Credit Union, Oxford School District, New York City Probation, Dolmen Insurance, New Bedford Community Health, Gerard Darel, Ready Honda

Acronis Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Acronis Backup pricing:
  • "The pricing is comparable to the newest solution available on the market, Altaro."
  • "You pay for what you use in the cloud. If you don't start the virtual machine in the cloud, you only pay for the information stored there. But when you start the virtual machine, another pricing model is activated."
  • "This is an affordable product and fits within our customers' budgets."

Information Technology Manager at PAV Telecoms
A stable and scalable backup solution with superior image restoring capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I use the product to protect key servers and workstations. We run mission critical servers where downtime cannot be afforded. Acronis is the only solution I trust to get us back up and running after a major catastrophe.

• "The image backup and image restore features have been very beneficial to us."
  • "They've got an agent to back up Microsoft SQL, to our Office 365, but there is not an agent to back up my SQL databases."

What other advice do I have?

Acronis now includes a feature called Cyber Protect, which performs anti-malware scanning and protects everything on your system. It can also check for Microsoft patches and helps you to stay updated and protected. It has a very accurate disk health monitor that could warn you of imminent drive failure. It also protects the integrity of your online backups against ransomware. From start to finish, not only does it protect your hard drive, it protects the integrity of the backups as well. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. You might require assistance to…
CL
Presales (Enterprise Solutions Architect) at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good training and support, and it allows for bare-metal restore to dissimilar hardware

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backup.

• "The most valuable feature is that you can do a bare-metal restore even with dissimilar hardware."
  • "In the span of six months, maintenance is done at least twice and you are told that it is coming up, with apologies for the inconvenience. It's a distraction, and it interferes with the backup schedule."

What other advice do I have?

It's best to go full cloud or even purchase the storage from Acronis rather than having an on-premises install where you have to purchase advanced licenses, only to go to the cloud. That is the challenge that I had with Actifio. They provide you with regular training for partners. The very first person that I interacted with was the local distributor. They were knowledgeable it was obvious that they had continuous training. You are free to install this software on any hardware that you have, the challenge is the hardware itself, such as the media server with Commonvault. There is one called…
Learn what your peers think about Acronis Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AC
Project and Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A user-friendly backup and disaster recovery solution with a useful image creation feature

What is our primary use case?

My clients use it for disaster recovery events. Because of the ERP systems they have, these types of events need a space in the cloud to work immediately and recover the capacity for people to work in the company.

• "It's a good solution that's very easy to use. Acronis has two valuable features. The first one is creating images, and the other is starting virtual machines in the cloud so the client can work immediately."
  • "It would be better if they made it easier to obtain images for laptops and desktops. It isn't easy right now to have many different types of desktop computers. This is because Microsoft is changing a lot of things in Windows 10."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that Acronis has more solutions for different environments. You can get information from servers that don't use Windows and use other operating systems like Linux and Ubuntu. You can recover it in the cloud, and you can start a virtual machine. You can synchronize information. You've got a lot of features that the other solutions require you to install locally. It's very easy to use. Technical support really isn't necessary in many cases because it's very intuitive, and it's not complex to resolve problems. If you want to get more information, you can find it on…
LH
Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
A web-based interface that is stable and easy to use, but error messages need to be more clear

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Acronis Backup is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We have one management server, 20 servers with agents, and between 15 and 20 workstations that we take regular backups of. All of these backups are stored on tape.

• "The web-based interface makes it easy to use."
  • "When an error occurs, the information is not always easy to understand and these messages should be made more clear."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that they are a well-known product, and you can find a lot of information about it online if you search the knowledge base and forums. There are a lot of people who have a lot of experience with it. In fact, the biggest lesson that I have learned from using it is that if I run into problems then I can find answers by searching the internet. Acronis Backup is the kind of product that is quite easy to get started with, as it is pretty straightforward. The user interface is easy to understand, except for the trouble we have when it comes to…
AL
IT Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Restore point gives us what we need at the time we need it

• "One of the features I have found most valuable is the restore point - it gives us what we need at the time we need it. The important thing is that the backup for Acronis doesn't depend as much on the device."
  • "For smaller companies it's a little more challenging to maintain."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would give Acronis Backup a nine.
Technical Supervisor at Index IT
Easy to use, affordable, strong and quick support, and built-in ransomware protection

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Acronis Backup is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

• "The main reasons that our customers like Acronis are that it is very strong and easy to use."
  • "The problems that we face are often related to the customer's network, although sometimes there are problems with the software, such as an error in the configuration."

What other advice do I have?

We are currently testing the new version, 15. Based on our experience, we have been providing input to their pre-sales team, and the feedback was taken back to the management. Now, everything seems to be running fine. For example, in the new version, they have more protection options for malware, and they have additional tools to assist the IT administrator in controlling the network. These including things like management tools for remote desktops and vulnerability management. Any customer who uses Acronis that has needed to restore anything from their backup has had a 99% success rate, where…
NH
Director at Random Group Ltd
Does its job very well and has interesting capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We implement Acronis for our clients and we also use it internally.

• "It actually does its job very well and has interesting capabilities, but it has the most awful interface."
  • "The whole product structure is confusing. You can actually get to do what you want to do. But Acronis seems to have a singular ability to make things difficult."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it, but warn people new to it, to be aware that they might well be a bit frustrated at first. I would rate Acronis Backup an eight out of ten. It's one of those products that probably needs an overhaul because it's kind of evolved over time and sometimes when you evolve things, you end up in a hole. It's probably about time for them to sit back and realize that they've made all this functionality and made all these changes so they should go back. Also, managing the product is difficult. As a partner, it's difficult to manage our end-user clients because there's no single…
JS
Technical Product Manager for IT Managed Services at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Well balanced, very flexible, and very easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as backup and recovery.

• "The licensing model is very good."
  • "The solution could use a single sign-on integration that can default to the admin dashboard. Right now, it's only username and password. If you had had an additional two-factor authentication, this would be beneficial for me."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm responsible for fast and dedicated, fair infrastructure, which is on-premise. I'm using Acronis for Windows 10 and in the company, I'm using the Acronis for ESXi to make backups for virtual machines. I'd rate this solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very pleased with the capabilities.
See 8 more Acronis Backup Reviews