Agile Manager [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Agile Manager [EOL]?

Agile project management solution to plan, execute and track Agile projects. Agile teams can improve Release Planning, Sprint Planning, Sprint Execution, and gain more Visibility and Insight into Agile projects using SaaS or on-premise deployment.

Key Features include: Release and User Story and Defect Management, Development Tools Integration, Team/Resource Management, Rest APIs, Micro Focus ALM/QC/PPM Synchronizer, Regular releases driven by user feedback, Modern, clean, intuitive UI and SAFeTM Gold Certified.

Agile Manager [EOL] was previously known as Micro Focus Agile Manager, HPE Agile Manager.

Download the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Agile Manager [EOL] Customers

Trizetto, Discount Tire and Siemens

Agile Manager [EOL] Video

Archived Agile Manager [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user739560
Senior manager IT at a transportation company
Handles user stories well but the lack of a testing module is a problem

• "How you write your user stories, and the requirements gathering, in Agile Manager is pretty good."
  • "The testing module that we are used to, that wasn't there at all."

What is most valuable?

The way that it handles the user stories. It's more compatible because it is built to support the Agile framework or Agile methodology. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the testing capability, so we have the bridge between AGM and ALM.net to support the testing we want to do. So how you write your user stories, and the requirements gathering, in Agile Manager is pretty good.

How has it helped my organization?

This is for one of our critical teams - which is the product lifecycle management team - they started using AGM mainly because they wanted to change how they are delivering their products. Now we can do shorter cycles and have better traceability, and we have this integration between AGM and ALM, as I said. That combination always pushes data of the cycles and the test runs so we can prepare better reports in AGM and present it to the leadership. That's how it increases the productivity of development.

What needs improvement?

Right now I can't say because other stuff is being migrated to Octane. But basically, the testing module that we are used to, that wasn't there at all. If they would have added that into it then they wouldn't even need to build Octane.

We did have a list of items we wanted to see added but now they are moving all those things to Octane, and we are also interested in Octane now, so we are not looking to request any more changes to AGM, understanding that this is the go-to tool.

It is a stable product. But unfortunately right now there aren't many changes they are doing to AGM because Octane is the preference and they're moving customers to Octane. But really stable, so far.

It is pretty scalable. We didn't do it enterprise-wide. But we do have about 100 users working on it, and it's a pretty big project - that always happens - so it's pretty good.

As usual, only if we get into any issues that obviously need to be done, we definitely use tech support. Sometimes when we order new features we use tech support as well.

They're good. They are responsive. We have a CSM, we always get the responses back. Even without the CSM, we used to have the response, it's pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking into AGM, don't go with AGM, go with Octane.

it_user367794
Project Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees

How has it helped my organization?

It's very important to us that we're able to adapt to a lot of changes in the space in which we do business. This solution gives us flexibility in product testing and allows us to get our products with very quick time-to-market.

What needs improvement?

It requires a lot of post-process testing of our products. It would be an improvement if those test weren't necessary. Also, the DevOps process should be easier to implement at the beginning of a project because that's when it would be most effective.

We're in the middle of a POC.

It's deployed just fine during our POC.

So far, so good on…

What needs improvement?

We're in the middle of a POC.

It's deployed just fine during our POC.

So far, so good on stability.

Because we're still doing a POC, we haven't really needed to scale.

We work with a French third-party team and they help us with specific issues.

Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Atlassian, Broadcom and others in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites. Updated: December 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Configuration / SQA Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The release forecasting allows the team to make adjustments to sprint content in order to ensure we meet dates.

What is most valuable?

It provides visibility on the progress of backlog item completions for sprints and the impact progress is having on the overall release date.

Integration with HPE ALM/QC, Jenkins and Subversion allows us to view the project’s health through one product.

How has it helped my organization?

The business, developers and QA now have a central location to track their progress as one team rather than three silo teams.

What needs improvement?

- Wider support for IDEs.
- In the world of Java, it currently supports Eclipse but not NetBeans.

I have used it for eight months.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues.

Excellent customer service and technical support. The SaaS solution certainly makes it much easier for technical support to troubleshoot issues and provide advice.

I did not previously use a different solution personally, but other members of the team had previously used Rally. We chose Agile Manager as we were already a user of HPE’s ALM/QC and HPE offered a modern solution with tight integration to ALM/QC.

Initial setup was straightforward as it was SaaS, but there was some installation and configuration work to be carried out on synchronising Agile Manager with our on-premise ALM/QC, Jenkins and Subversion instances.

The HPE SaaS team set up the Agile Manager instance and our in-house IT team configured the synchronisation side of things.

What other advice do I have?

If you are syncing with ALM/QC, take your time and read over the help guide on the synchronisation. Get the synchronisation behaving exactly how you want it to with the various synchronisation settings.

Senior QC Engineer/QC Lead at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has a good sprint task board with the ability to export tasks to Excel and filter by team member. It does not fully cover the SDLC.

Valuable Features

Also I like the dashboard. All the graphs, burndown charts and reporting are user friendly and quick. Sprint Closure functionality makes it easy to perform sprint retrospectives. It has everything you need to work in the sprint.

It is easy to use.

Improvements to My Organization

The product makes it easier to work with remote team. It gives better visibility on project status/progress.

Room for Improvement

It definitely has room for improvement. This product does not fully cover the SDLC. The test team cannot track test cases or connect them with test cases.

Use of Solution

We have been using it for ~7 months.

It is good. It was down for couple times for maintenance and updates, but that was pretty quickly resolved. It would be nice to receive emails or some other notification.

We haven’t faced any technical issue with it so far. I cannot rate it.

Setup is very easy. Just pay for the licence per person and you have it available 24/7. You can have a 30-day free trial.

Implementation Team

HPE is the vendor. I'm not sure it allows an in-house solution.

Other Solutions Considered

Because we already were using HP ALM, we decided to use HP Agile Manager. There are many reasons why...

Other Advice

This product is pretty good, but you need to consider what you want to achieve using it, and how open you want to be. Setup integration between all your internal tools might be difficult or even impossible.

This product does not support the full SDLC cycle, so you need to consider this tool as an add-on to existing SLDC tools for now.

The solution is pretty good and allows wide integration with other HP products and CI tools such as Jenkins and source code repositories, e.g., SVN.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a member of the HPE AllianceOne program.
it_user501975
QA Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Release-level graphs save us from having to go through each team’s backlogs.

What is most valuable?

Dashboard with release level graphs; it is so easy to gather the progress made at the release with these graphs rather going through each team’s backlogs.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped manage the agile process within our team.

What needs improvement?

They need to make further improvements with the graphs for each business unit. For example, if we want to track work done by QA or Development, there are no built-in graphs available.

I have been using for three years.

I have never contacted the customer service or support for this product all along.

We are the end users of the product. It was an organizational decision to use HP Agile Manager for tracking our agile planning and management.

What other advice do I have?

You need to do a PoC and verify you are receiving all of the information you require. The tool is good enough to keep track of the information, but not mature enough to have a great Dashboard that tracks all levels of changes. The built-in graphs are not mature enough to use right away, as they are. We had to create those graphs internally for our management to use. However, there is a lot of room to look at and implement better graphs.

it_user101727
Program Manager - Performance Engineering at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
They are playing a catch-up game right now, they need to catch up real quick.

Valuable Features

Gives us the ability to bring in the dev community as part of the testing community. I can relate to the user stories, the business requirements, whatever we are building within Agile Manager. Connecting it to the HP ADM suite that we have, and plugging it in to get Jenkins or any of these other tool sets. You can pretty much tie in in from your requirements all the way through your entire application lifecycle management. We are able to achieve that using this solution.

Room for Improvement

They are playing a catch-up game right now, they need to catch up real quick. By the time they catch up the competition has moved on. They are chasing a moving target.

There is definitely a maturity curve that Agile Manager needs to go through with. It's still not there, and it definitely needs to grow.

We use a size-based solution so it's scalable for us.

I've not had to contact tech support.

It's pretty straightforward as long as you know how the tool is designed to work and the architecture behind how you need to implement it for your environment.

it_user476772
Professional Software Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
One of the key features that we looked for when we were looking at Agile tools was the dashboard.

Valuable Features:

One of the key features that we looked for when we were looking at Agile tools was the dashboard - all of the metrics that you can get on-demand, pulling from ALM Quality Center. Test runs and all of that kind of stuff. Also the way the user stories can be in some kind of architecture, so themes, features, user stories, linking those from one to another to another, being able to link two different entities to one story card that might be dependent on another one being complete, you can link those two.

With insurance software, there's always that sort of core capability you have to have done before you can start doing your extra writer work, extra coverages, that kind of stuff. Until you have that core base done, our backend system wouldn't be able to accept this policy if that wasn't there first, etc. We kind of manage the front-end work the same way.

Improvements to My Organization:

Before Agile Manager we had a tool that came with the development tool that we're using. It's a componentized development tool that we bought from a company and it was very much not developed, so there were two fields (name and description) and then you had a single drop down for the story card statuses, either, "to do, running, done." I understand why they were trying to keep it sort of lean with the Agile mindset, but working in insurance, and working across any given project, you might have six, seven, eight, or nine teams involved with different connection points.

There's a lot of information that gets tracked, and you want to be able to capture that with comments, or tasks, to make sure everybody is doing their part. UX has their design done before it's handed over, wireframes have been signed up by the business, requirements are complete. Any business rules spreadsheets have been attached, so if there's any like state-specific tables that we have to deal with in this state it comes in a little bit different, and that state it's the normal flow.

There's more information that we wanted to capture and we needed to capture to be able to do the stories effectively. We're wasting a lot of time on the old tool, capturing, putting out on a SharePoint site, running that down, going and talking to somebody else about, "Hey, did you guys see this part yet?" In Agile Manager you can capture that all on the story card.

Room for Improvement:

This one kind of caught us by surprise, and all our evaluations from it doing demos to the team that was going to be using it. The original version that we got, I'm not sure the version number, didn't have the story card print functionality. The project manager was a little overboard. She had said if she had done this, we would have picked a different tool. I think that's a little bit much.

You can export all the stories to Excel. We created a little mail merge in Microsoft Office. We had a solution in 30 minutes on how to print story cards. That did kind of surprise me, something as simple as just printing story cards out of there. I believe it's in there now, but we have the on-prem version, so it's in the SaaS version, but the on-prem they're not going to do another build for that until I think version 2.0, or 3.0, the next major build. That was the one thing that surprised me a little bit that something as easy as a print feature would be not in an initial build.

Deployment Issues:

We use the CI tool that they recommended and it's one that isn't natively supported by ALM. I think they're looking at changing the CI tool that they're using. We were basically being consulted from Mandex, so they were just kind of going with everything that they were recommending. I think now we're getting a little bit more mature with their tool, so we're sort of customizing to what we need.

Stability Issues:

It's been stable for us.

Scalability Issues:

It's been really easy. First project we got 30 licenses. I think we're using about 24 to 26 of them. That team is basically rolling into the next project. Going to pretty much stay the same. Kind of take a few of the people to start another team, so we've got 30 more licenses, we're up to 60.

Implementation Team:

I think it was nearly flawless. There was a couple of server setup things that we needed help with. I was basically working off the requirements dock / setup dock from HP. Our server setup guy had a couple of questions that I think were answered. If I remember correctly, it might have actually been something with our firewall that was causing the issue. Which is funny that it's on-prem. I can't remember what the actual issue was. We set it up a little over a year ago. Other than that it was up and running within a week or so.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Mandex who I think are based in Sweden, and have an office in Boston. It's a componentized development tool using reusable widgets that you basically wire up and do some CSS styling stuff on. We didn't really evaluate a tool coming into this project and then we found out really quick that we needed something better than what they gave us. I think originally the project manager, the sponsor, whoever does the sort the setup for it thought it was going to just be good enough, we would be able to sort of use SharePoint how we always have on our waterfall projects.

It was probably only four or five sprints in on a project that I think went about 25 sprints. We found that it just isn't going to work. We started evaluating two tools, actually at that point one was Rally that we already had in-house for a claims project that was going on, and then Agile Manager, and I ended up going with Agile Manager.

With all of the different features, it's really user-friendly and syncs with Quality Center ALM, which is our testing tool. That's already the standard for our test scripting and defect management. Everything has to be done in Quality Center.

With the claims team route on Rally, we had to make a custom sync tool that breaks a lot. It's just been a headache actually bringing that in. They're now looking at coming over to Agile Manager, syncing everything over from that first project, because there's only one previous project. Agile is new to our industry, and we've been slow to adopt everything so they're looking to bring in their artifacts to Agile Manager as well.

Other Advice:

There's a lot of like YouTube videos out there for easy training, even before you're in the tool to kind of get used to it. There's a lot in there, it's a really powerful tool, so we had some people get a little bit overwhelmed when they first started using. I'd recommend taking a step back, just kind of watching somebody else use it before you dive in.

it_user469167
Solution Architect at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It's able to adapt to existing processes.

Valuable Features:

The ability to adapt - have the product adapted to the processes that are already in place at a customer. We don't want them to have to reinvent the wheel in order to use the product.

Room for Improvement:

I think the biggest issues that I've seen, and this is a personal view of mine, is that most of the HPE products have a common look and feel to them. I'd really like to see it be a little more customizable to a use and user standpoint. For example. I happen to be colors blind, so I'd like to see more vivid colors on the UI, and things like that. It would make it a little more flexible from the customer standpoint.

Use of Solution:

I was formally an HP employee, so I've used the HP products in the past. I also was a former Mercury Interactive employee who was acquired by HP.

Scalability Issues:

It's been extremely scalable as far as the testing that we've done with our customers. They've all been really satisfied with the scalability of the HPE products.

Initial Setup:

I've worked with Agile Manager for about two years now and they've always been very receptive along the way. The nice thing about Agile Manager is when you use the product is has a "What's New" page so you can see whenever something new comes out. There it is, right in front of you.

Other Advice:

It really doesn't need to be as flexible as some other solutions because it's right out of the box, it's relatively easy to use. You open up, you create a test in ten minutes and then you're able to run it.

it_user465924
Director of Enterprise Applications at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
It was easy to understand and provides a fairly user friendly, non-intimidating interface to new users. Resource allocation and management across multiple products needs work.

What is most valuable?

The storyboard and dashboard are the easiest to use features as they perform daily tracking and show you where your project and release is at any point in time.

How has it helped my organization?

My team was transitioning to Agile methodology, and we had no real project management tool prior to HPE Agile Manager, although we used ALM for defect tracking. It was easy to understand and provides a fairly user friendly, non-intimidating interface to new users which prevented what could have been a high resistance to change.

What needs improvement?

Resource allocation and management across multiple products. We have the same resources working on multiple products each with their own releases, and Agile Manager does not handle this well, so the overloading or underloading of resources is difficult to monitor. The only way around this was to call each product an application within the same release cycle artificially in order to really track the allocation of resources and workloads.

ALI integration needs to be improved. We have some large multi-module projects and for the SVN and Jenkins servers we need to completely reset them up every release which is cumbersome, there should be an option to copy the configuration from one release to another for the ALI integration.

The dashboards are excellent views into the project but you cannot drill in or copy the graphs into a powerpoint or word document to provide a status synopsis. There are some long standing bugs on the storyboard that allow user stories or defects to be moved to the left rather than the right if people make a selection within the User Story or defect. It should provide a warning as if you have a lot of user stories it can be hard to find the ones reporting wrong.

For the integration with ALM, it is done via a user account rather than a system account so the history of change will reflect the integration account rather than the user that actually made the change. User accounts are managed by email address, this is an issue when a company changes domain as the account cannot be changed.

I've been using it for two years.

We had a few occasional issues but on the whole it has been very stable.

We've been able to scale it to our needs.

Support has been very good. They are responsive and very informed.

Previously, we did not use any tool for project management however we now have AGM (HPE) and RTC (IBM), AGM is much more user friendly and easy to configure but somewhat limited in its capabilities on larger projects or programs. RTC has many capabilities but you need a doctorate to set it up and to use it. As our environment grows, and if AGM does not handle the multiplication functionality in a better way or make it easier on the license management, we will have to likely move to RTC eventually.

The initial set up was fairly easy. We use all aspects through code and build management along with an integration with a different defect management software. After one familiarization call I was able to set the whole system up in one day.

The price is reasonable and is a little more than some other online providers but still in-line. Licensing however is difficult to manage, as teams ramp up and ramp down the procurement process is difficult within organizations and I would hope be easier to setup and procure online. The support page makes it seem easy to get new licenses, but this a misnomer and you really need to contact the sales rep, get a quote generate a PO and get the licenses. There needs to be an easier way to order more licenses.

We did but we were looking for a very specific goal. We were transitioning a strongly functionally organized team to an Agile team and needed an easy to use tool to facilitate the transition and the learning of new behaviors. As a large enterprise we had in-house large enterprise tools but they were all too complex and intimidating to the users and I knew they would not use them. We then looked at the smaller online products for smaller teams (AGM, JIRA, etc.) to help with the transition.

What other advice do I have?

Agile tools are great but first the organization must adopt and agile mindset to be successful. The product is really easy to use and manage single discrete projects with dedicated teams. Team members like it and are quickly able to customize the views to what they need to see to do their jobs. It is very fast on the setup and does not require a full time administrator or even a very technical resource to maintain it. It is a good tool for the project teams to not get bogged down in making sure status is right.

it_user465897
IT Admin at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The dashboard summary views and product backlog management are valuable.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard summary views and product backlog management are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helping us organize and manage our agile development process to get solutions to market faster.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be modernized to be more intuitive and to support more drag/drop functionality.

I've been using it for 18 months.

There have been no issues with the performance.

We've been able to scale it to our needs.

It's very good.

No other solution was in place previously.

It was straightforward.

Licensing costs are not trivial so be sure to get a commitment from all stakeholders in advance because without everyone participating in the agile process success and ROI will be limited.

We didn't at any other options.

it_user469548
Manager Tools and Performance Engineering at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
We have the ability to define common standard procedures and methodologies. I'm looking for better integration using Octane.

What is most valuable?

It's currently in proof of concept. Our development team in Prague is using JIRA/Confluence. We're installing Agile Manager to try to convert them into a standard more scalable solution. To me, the difference between what they're using now, the Atlassian product, and Agile Manager is that Agile Manager is much more scalable. If you're going to go into an Agile development environment, we definitely need to have something that goes beyond the number of users that we're going to have over in Prague. That to me is one of the biggest features. It's got a lot of the capability. I've seen Octane, so they're putting in some of the capability of Agile Manager into Octane. I do understand that over time, it will adopt more of the Agile Manager features.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm coming from a former company. Standards are critical - a common practice, common solutions - so we don't wind up with pockets of development teams doing their own thing. We have to be very careful with that. From an enterprise perspective, it's the ability to define common standard procedures and methodologies to use for the development. It makes it easier in the event that we do get audited.

What needs improvement?

I'm actually looking forward to leveraging more of Octane - on the capability in Octane and knowing that Agile Manager will move into Octane gives me that long term perspective. Octane's important in our environment because of the flexibility - the fact that you can get information from a development environment and know that you can shift your focus more to the left. From a testing perspective, I can see the areas that the developers are executing multiple times, where their defects are. That would influence the testing part of the organization to say, "Maybe that's an area that we should focus on, giving that there are multiple defects." I'm actually looking for that better integration using Octane as that mechanism and probably as the Agile Manager add-ons come in, expanding it.

Still a POC, but I've used HP products for decades literally. I've never had an issue with stability of the applications. Scaling is different. We've got ALM and in order for us to get better performance out of our environment, because we would peak out at certain times, we just added an F5 switch and we run two application servers and one database server and our problems went away. It's really just a matter of having that ability with a tool and Agile Manager I'm sure, would be something similar once we get a chance to scale.

It should be pretty straightforward. We're just going to add a load balancing switch. I don't know if we can have two instances of servers with Agile Manager. I'll have to find out. We're just using a single one now but that would be the intention - load balancing individuals, common database. It should take care of any size that we would have.

We've not used it yet, and we're just kind of muddling through.

With JIRA and Confluence, it's really scalability. We have to produce evidence to the FDA that shows, if we're questioned and have to go down to the actual test case, we don't have to worry about the software development. The way JIRA's working now you don't have a real test case. It's a bunch of lists and it's tags. You can't identify a test step, so you define a test case which is a single line, a step that includes multiple steps. That's not what any kind of FDA would want to see. They want to see a single action, proof that the action happened and with a screenshot of some kind. Right now, they're not able to do that with JIRA. We need to get that shifted more into a more standard solution.

My team's been doing operations and installation of ALM and other HPE products for quite a while so the installation went very easily.

We looked at Agile Manager several years ago before it was as mature as it is. That was maybe four years ago. The only other ones have been the open source tools which don't fit well in a pharmaceutical environment.

What other advice do I have?

We want our want own IDE in their environment. Octane provides the development team a seamless integration so they can develop their own tests. They can link it to Jenkins. They can kick off the bills. They can do the automation. To them, it looks very similar to their own IDE. It gives the project managers associated with those Agile teams the ability to see what those defects are and how that backlog is being burned down all in one solution. With Agile development teams, testers are no longer a manual tester. They have to have an integrated idea of what the product is. They've got to be developers that don't want to develop, essentially.

I think the biggest thing is standards. The way I work with any new kind of application is that I'll get the application in, set up a simple proof of concept, and I conduct my evaluation that way. Understanding the product and if anyone's done any kind of Agile development, they would know how the tool works. The question is cost. That's typically the delineation. You spend money for Agile Manager but you've got a company that stands behind it with service and support.

it_user398358
Manager, IT Product Support at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the ability to update backlog items from a list view so that you don’t have to pull up each one to update.

What is most valuable?

• The Sprint Closure feature is very helpful to capture the sprint retrospective information.
  • The Storyboard is an easy way to manage the stories at a high level. This can be configured to include more flexible Kanban statuses.
  • The ability to easily filter and sort from multiple screens and then be able to export this information is great. This is a quick way to get reports the way I want to see them.
  • Dashboards are flexible and visible.
  • I also like the ability to update backlog items from a list view so that you don’t have to pull up each one to update. This saves a lot of time.
  • The ability to make mass updates to records saves time.

How has it helped my organization?

The transparency this product gives us has been very valuable. Our business can see how we are doing and we use this during our Release Planning event.

Departments outside of IT are using AGM. They have commented that the product gives them a really good way to manage their work as well.

What needs improvement?

Most of the enhancement requests we have are minor, but the biggest challenge we have is around integrations. Defects seem to integrate well; however, we are still trying to figure out how to get requirements to integrate with how we set ALM up.

We have been using it for about a year, and it’s still a fairly new product in the marketplace. However, it meets most of our needs and supports the SAFe methodology pretty well.

The biggest challenge we have is around integrations.

It seems to be very stable for me. We haven’t had any significant outages.

So far, the product is supporting the needs of both our IT department and our other corporate areas that have been able to use the product.

Customer service is good. We have a dedicated Customer Success Manager who has been very invested in our success. She is great to work with.

Their support is in Israel and Vietnam. Usually, this isn’t a problem, but at times it has caused a delay with resolving more complex integration issues.

We used another product previously, but it wasn’t flexible and our teams didn’t feel that it worked as well for enterprise release planning.

It was very straightforward. We got on a call with their implementation team who gave us recommendations or things to think about when configuring the system. This was a great help so that we set it up "right" the first time. We focused a lot on what our process was going to be and then worked with the tool to have it support these processes. That seemed to work well for us.

HP was amazing to work with during our implementation. Our timeline was shortened by one month by our upper management and we were able to do it with HP's help. It was very easy compared to other implementations that I’ve seen.

I’m not sure that we have a good ROI measurement at this time. We haven’t spent the time to calculate this. I can say we’ve probably increased the usage of the tool by "non-IT" groups by about 30%. We have gone from 120 users in the old system to 250 with HP Agile Manager.

• CA Agile Management
  • JIRA
  • Scrumworks
  • Version One

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have your processes figured out so that you can set up AGM to support them best. I think this is advice for any tool, though. Talk to other customers to understand how they are using the Themes and Features before setting them up. While it’s easy to change the configuration, I think it would be frustrating to start reporting on it one way and then have to change.

it_user380070
Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We use the hierarchy Theme/Feature/Stories for a top-down approach.

What is most valuable?

We use the hierarchy Theme/Feature/Stories for a top-down approach. The widgets/dashboards are essential to easily setup the reporting and by putting an image on the data, it helps people to understand the issues or to see the potential impacts of their actions.

How has it helped my organization?

The forecast was initially made since it was the only points we had. Obviously at the beginning of a project, all the stories were not created, therefore we were forced to make some extrapolations. By using the feature points, the projection in the future is much easier.

What needs improvement?

As a consequence of the above statements, we would like to have an estimate of the possible end date when all the features will be done given a velocity. This means that we need to have some graphs/widgets which can be used over several releases.

We've used it for one year.

The deployment was very easy as soon as I had the documentation. At the beginning, you need to learn the vocabulary used by AGM and make the links with your own previous habits. Same names may have a different meaning in different tools or approaches. As soon as I understood them, I taught the other people in the company by highlighting what was similar with our previous tool to what was different and warn them on tricky shortcuts (another approach with different meaning or use from the one we were familiar with).

The product is very stable and we greatly appreciate that.

We were able to scale it, but my company has a bad habit. A project is open for a very long time and it piles up a lot of releases. I have to archive some, but I don't know what the result will be. If I don't do it, the response time will be degraded when the data becomes too important.

Commercially speaking, the customer service was a total nightmare at the very beginning. I hope that I will not have to face such an issue when we have to renew.

The technical support is good. Sometimes we need to exchange several times to be understood, but this is perfectly understandable. English is not our native language.

Yes, we used a smaller and less sophisticated tool. It became too small and not sophisticate enough! We especially needed to introduce a new level in the breakdown structure (the backlog was flat only composed of stories).

We implemented it by our own and I think that it is a luck regarding the bad experience I had with the vendors.

I cannot precisely give an estimated but everything gets done smoothly. Easier to change, to try something to see the impact, to move from a team to another one, or from a release to another one.

Yes, we made a criteria matrix to eliminate some and ranked a few of them. Version One was the major competitor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to assimilate the concepts to choose the appropriate breakdown: which themes, which applications, etc. Depending on how you want to group your items, you may want to divide your project accordingly. For instance, if you allow a feature to be assigned to different applications, the total amount of FP is no longer possible.

it_user326457
Business Analyst & Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides burn-up charts for visibility on progress and workload. However, the reporting/dashboard widgets could be more user-friendly.

What is most valuable?

Being able to capture details.

How has it helped my organization?

Burn-up charts for visibility on progress and workload.

What needs improvement?

Understanding of “story points” and “velocity” Ease of using reporting/dashboard widgets Templates for imports, etc.

I've used it for three months.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

Yes, and we switched because this tool is on our organisation’s strategic roadmap.

We used an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

What is most valuable?

Being able to capture details.

How has it helped my organization?

Burn-up charts for visibility on progress and workload.

What needs improvement?

• Understanding of “story points” and “velocity”
  • Ease of using reporting/dashboard widgets
  • Templates for imports, etc.

I've used it for three months.

10/10.

10/10.

We used an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

First determine what your needs are and then evaluate whether this tool can meet those needs.

it_user231276
Agile Practices Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
IBM Rational Quality Manager vs. HP Agile Manager

Valuable Features:

IBM Rational Quality Manager

The IBM Rational Quality Manager tools have a comprehensive suite of test artefacts that may be used for test planning, preparation, execution, and reporting. A new user could spend considerable time reading the user manual and then exploring the tool. But for this project the team grasped the basic functionalities quickly without using the manual. The team further developed their skills while using the tool for the project.

The features the team liked about the tool were:

• The visual representation of the task board view
  • Ability to query work items
  • Drag and drop features
  • Reporting capabilities

HP Agile Manager

The team used HP Agile Manager to organise, plan, and execute agile projects. The team took half a day to familiarise themselves with the basic functionality of the tool and working on the tool gave them further insights. The tool is highly configurable, but no configuration was done for this project. The team worked within the limitations of the out of the box functionality.

The features the team liked about the tool were:

• The tool gave great visibility on the project work with real-time analytics and dashboards
  • All estimations of tasks were summed up and presented at the user story level
  • Work items (tasks), flow from left to right according to their completion state
  • Once all tasks of a user story were completed, the user story is automatically marked done
  • User stories can be added to the product backlog and from there subsequently associated to a specific release and sprint
  • Defects and testing can be added to the backlog as well
  • User stories can be linked to defects. As long as the corresponding defect isn’t fixed, the user story cannot be set to done. This represents good agile practices
  • Sprint closure page gives the overall picture of what has been done
  • Retrospective tasks and information is easy to record
  • There were views which reflected taskboards that you might see drawn on whiteboards with columns and sticky notes that could be dragged and dropped

Room for Improvement:

IBM Rational Quality Manager

The teams noted that they would like to see improvements on the following:

• A manual refresh was required every time to view changes, and not in real time
  • There was no visual indication that a task had not loaded correctly, so any changes made to it were not saved
  • The Save functionality was not consistent across the application. When AutoSave was checked, the system would save a comment while the user is still in the middle of writing, so ended up with a half comment. The comments were not editable
  • Discussion field was not there as an attribute when selecting the required fields for the query
  • AutoSaving was problematic and selecting the auto save feature didn’t remain after navigating away from the main page

HP Agile Manager

The teams noted that they would like to see improvements on the following:

• The major drawbacks were in defect management and session sheet creation
  • While creating a new defect the user could enter only limited fields. In order to add more details or even to assign it to someone the user had to edit the defect after addition
  • There was no option to create session sheets
  • The session sheets were created as Word documents and uploaded. The maintenance of session sheets generated overhead as the existing session sheet had to be downloaded, updated and then uploaded again. This also did not allow for easy monitoring of individual tests progress
  • There were no out of the box dashboards for the testers
  • Defects can’t be linked to acceptance criteria
  • The tool is very reflective of Scrum terminology, therefore it would be better to use generic terms such as ITERATION rather than Sprint

Other Advice:

Read the entire comparison study of Traditional vs. Agile Testing here.

it_user222996
Senior Programmer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It was a bit challenging to set up but it helps our project team to implement the Agile ​WoW.

What is most valuable?

The burndown chart.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps our project team to implement the Agile WoW which was quite new for all of us when we initially started with Agile Manager two years ago.

What needs improvement?

Downtime was frequent initially, but now it is much better.

I've used it for two years.

None so far.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's satisfactory. Technical Support: It's satisfactory.

Which solution did I use previously and why

What is most valuable?

The burndown chart.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Downtime was frequent initially, but now it is much better.

I've used it for two years.

None so far.

It's satisfactory.

It's satisfactory.

We used Confluence and Jira as part of different client requirements.

It was a bit challenging as we were all new to the solution. But things smoothed out with self-exploration and support from the HP team.

We used a team from Pronq who were satisfactory.

We began implementing following client suggestions and approval.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and enjoy!