AirMagnet Survey OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AirMagnet Survey is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Network Modeling tools. It is most often compared to Ekahau Site Survey: AirMagnet Survey vs Ekahau Site Survey

What is AirMagnet Survey?

AirMagnet Survey is a software-based site survey solution that allows IT and network professionals to plan and deploy wireless 802.11n/a/b/g/ac LAN for optimal performance, security and compliance. The tool provides users the ability to visualize RF coverage, collect real world performance data, and map interferers. The new Survey Mobile app allows for design and validation of lower end BYOD on Android phones and tablets.

Download the Network Modeling Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

AirMagnet Survey Customers

Houston Methodist Hospital, Love's Travel Stops

AirMagnet Survey Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AirMagnet Survey pricing:
  • "This product is very expensive."

AirMagnet Survey Reviews

WS
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great customer service, simple to setup, and very easy to use

• "Customer service is great."
  • "It'd be nice if it was cheaper, however, you get value for your money."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for wireless design; it's a wireless design tool.

For example, if you're going to design a wireless internet network. That's what we used it for. The process is: you take a blueprint and you walk around that office or what have you with AirMagnet, the software. And it has an antenna, almost like a wireless antenna. You just walk and set your parameters. It's pretty simple.

What is most valuable?

The solution as a whole has been quite valuable for us. That's why we've used it. The heat mapping, the signal with noise, all of these are great.

Some people who aren't as technical as me, some of our project leads, really liked the graphical interface of it. You can take some of the more technical stuff off of it and just represent items in very ways. For example, green means good, red means bad.

Customer service is great.

The initial setup is very simple.

What needs improvement?

If you're using AirMagnet, it's a special use case. As long as they really walk you through it you should be fine. However, you do need some direction and training. If you don't have very much practice with it, it is difficult to troubleshoot.

It'd be nice if it was cheaper, however, you get value for your money.

I've dealt with AirMagnet since 2014. It's been a while.

It's definitely pretty stable. It has never crashed on us. It really just depends on your laptop or whatever device you're using it on. The solution itself, however, does not crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches.

As far as scalability, that I don't know. We've never used it like that. I don't know if I can talk to that.

We had the software and then we had two licenses to use it on two separate laptops, which means two separate antennas. If that's what you mean by scalable, then yes, it's extremely scalable as you can use up to six antennas for one software license.

Their customer service is great if you get the gold package or whatever the highest support package is. That is what we have. It's not just decent. It's excellent service. We are very satisfied with it.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward. One of the things, now years and years ago, was that it might have been a bit difficult to implement, however, these days, it's very easy.  Today, as in this version, it has an extremely straightforward setup.

I don't handle the buy-side of the solution. I'm just one of the engineers that use it. I'm pretty sure we quoted it, however, that was a while ago. I know it's not cheap. However, I cannot speak to exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I've used every version they've had since 2014, just as it increments up. We have the latest. Whatever the latest version is now is what we're using today.

It's really simple to use. I had a guy who's never used it and once we went through half a day with it, he could do it. He couldn't troubleshoot with it, however, he could definitely do tasks and he could use it for the purposes we needed.

While there's other software out there, it really just depends on your projects and your budget. We had a large budget. It's a pretty big project, so we chose AirMagnet due to the fact that I'm familiar with it. I knew that the support was excellent.

It's good for any project you have. You just have to have the budget for not only the software but also the support package. With the support package, even if you don't know how to use it, they'll show you how to use it.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

For us, for what we used it for and for the majority of my career, I've found that it offers everything. There are other versions and other flavors of AirMagnet you can get. I've just never needed it. There's the spectral analysis and stuff like that. I've never needed that part of it. However, for others, just know there are options.

David Cormack
Account Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Stowe Australia Pty Ltd
Good spectrum analysis and reporting features, but the antenna options could be improved and the price reduced

• "The most valuable features are the survey, spectrum analysis, and reporting."
  • "The surveying features are in need of improvement, along with general usability."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I work with this product at a high level. It is used for spectrum analysis and wireless surveying.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the survey, spectrum analysis, and reporting.

What needs improvement?

The surveying features are in need of improvement, along with general usability. For example, they should import functions from other products that make things easier from a planner's point of view.

The antenna options should be enhanced.

It takes a little while to render the coverage maps.

The price could be lower.

The updates are few and far between, so they should release them more regularly.

I have been using AirMagnet Survey for ten years.

Overall, the stability is not too bad.

Technical support is a little bit slow to respond. I would say that they are about average.

This product is very expensive.

Our license is coming up for renewal and we're planning to have a close look at Ekahau. We will be comparing the two and possibly look to change.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering AirMagnet is to have a look at Ekahau Survey, as well. This is something that we plan on doing before our next renewal.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetAlly, Ekahau, iBwave and others in Network Modeling. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Network Infrastructure Team Leader at PT Nusantara Compnet Integrator
It has helped us to survey coverage after implementation

What is our primary use case?

Predictive survey Passive survey after implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to survey coverage after implementation.

What is most valuable?

Passive survey.

What needs improvement?

There is a feature "no auto-save" when the Proxim USB is disattached accidentally during survey. Newer adapters (adpter that support 802.11ac) not support noise Reading (I'am using Proxim 9100 USB Adapter).

Three to five years.

What is our primary use case?

• Predictive survey
  • Passive survey after implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to survey coverage after implementation.

What is most valuable?

Passive survey.

Three to five years.

Download our free Network Modeling Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetAlly, Ekahau, iBwave, and more!