AirMagnet Survey Overview

AirMagnet Survey is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Network Modeling tools. It is most often compared to Ekahau Site Survey: AirMagnet Survey vs Ekahau Site Survey

What is AirMagnet Survey?

AirMagnet Survey is a software-based site survey solution that allows IT and network professionals to plan and deploy wireless 802.11n/a/b/g/ac LAN for optimal performance, security and compliance. The tool provides users the ability to visualize RF coverage, collect real world performance data, and map interferers. The new Survey Mobile app allows for design and validation of lower end BYOD on Android phones and tablets.

Download the Network Modeling Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

AirMagnet Survey Customers

Houston Methodist Hospital, Love's Travel Stops

AirMagnet Survey Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

TG
Information Technology Specialist at a government with 51-200 employees
The product is set up in a fashion that non-technical people can understand it

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is wireless network surveying.

• "It is reliable and easy to use (user-friendly). The heat mapping, passive network surveying, and doing the heat mapping of a building's wireless network allows me to see what level of coverage an area has."
  • "The benefit is with the ease of use of the software, I am able to show the customer, "Here is what your wireless coverage looks like." It is set up in a fashion that non-technical people can understand it."
  • "Printouts are JPEG printouts. The AirMagnet software is proprietary. I can't send my customers a file, because it is AirMagnet file, even for building projects. I can only send JPEGs or screenshots of heat maps."

What other advice do I have?

Call the manufacturer directly and talk to them about their product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Technical functionality * Competitive pricing * Government pricing discounts.
C.E.O at Metronet
User
Clear and easy to use maps. The pricing needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

We use this product in the hospitality, education (K-12), and healthcare industries.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us when dealing with the hospitality industry.

What is most valuable?

Clear and easy to use maps. It is easy to upload the maps

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs improvement.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetAlly, Ekahau, iBwave and others in Network Modeling. Updated: May 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MK
Network Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Creates predictive heat maps to locate access points. I would like to see improvements in the user interface.

• "The most valuable feature is the predictive survey. The antennas' RF patterns are reflected correctly on the drawing when preparing predictive heat maps."
  • "The user interface needs a lot of improvement. The auto-placement of access points is not accurate."

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to do predictive surveys, then doing tests and passive site surveys to check wall attenuation is a must. You cannot depend on the default values of concrete and bricks.
Solutions Design Manager with 51-200 employees
User
Allows for preparation of more real designs, but needs improvement in real surveying.

• "It allows us to prepare more real designs. Later, we validate them with actual surveys."
  • "Less time consumed doing the real surveys."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend doing a comparison between the newer version of AirMagnet and Ekahau before purchasing.
Customer Systems Analyst (Senior Design) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Custom Calibration enables Proxim adapter to emulate Cisco 8821 Wireless IP Handset
The Custom Calibration has been in all AirMagnet Survey Pro versions, but I have not used it until recently. By using an offset of -7 across all 5GHz channels, the Proxim adapter can now closely emulate what a Cisco 8821 Wireless IP handset looks like in an active survey. Without creating a custom adjustment, there can be at times a 5 to 10dBm RSSI difference between what the AirMagnet adapter indicates during the survey and what the Cisco 8821 indicates in the same location as shown below.
Office Manager
Ensures the safety of our equipment that we have a lot invested in. The user interface on the screen and dial could be spelled out better for a novice.

• "Using the products to ensure the safety of our equipment that we have a lot invested in."
  • "I would say some of our newer techs that are going out to job sites can be a little bit intimidated by the interface."

What other advice do I have?

I would say that employee training becomes really important, so that everyone who's using the products knows how to use them safely. You know, you're dealing with electricity, so it can get a little dicey.
User at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I use the WiFi Analyzer to see signal interference, co-channel interference, the devices, and so on. On the survey side, they need to have more adapters to support.
CCIE Engineer at a tech services company
We are using the multi-floor planner.

What other advice do I have?

As I mentioned earlier, the only thing is that we are not able to find the new devices from vendors like Cisco and Aruba; access points. We need them to include those access points and it would be really helpful for us. The rest of the things are okay. It is a good solution. My advice is to include only the newer version of the access points in the AirMagnet tool, so that it will be really helpful for us.
Engineer/Project Coordinator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to design and deploy big WiFi networks.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely suggest the AirMagnet solution for WiFi implementations. This is the best solution that I can suggest to others.
National Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It carries out wireless surveys and records wireless signal strength.

What other advice do I have?

The more you use, the better you get at it.
It allows me to mitigate interference before installing access points.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good and I highly recommend it, especially if you have to present the survey finding to clients. This is an absolutely needed tool for the WLAN professional!!
Senior Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Interactive mapping scales as you are walking.

What other advice do I have?

My biggest complaint is their training shouldn't be so expensive. I personally think they should have online videos of free training and if you want to have a need for more complex training then pay for a class. Maybe a “how to understand reports” class would be nice! If they would give us some training, it wouldn't feel so complicated. Their training is so expensive, it's hard to be good at it without spending a lot more money and when you already spent $4000 on the software it’s not a good feeling to open the software and not know what to do next. Get training or ask others since training is…
Senior E Learning Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I use it for wireless network deployment at the construction stage.

What other advice do I have?

My advice, before purchasing request an evaluation license to test it and then choose the product which is stable, useful, and very well known in the IT industry.
Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure And Operations at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Provides a visual tool that we can show our clients that the wireless is either working or not working in an area.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use it the way that we use it, I strongly recommend going to a tablet device that's as light as possible. The Surface Pro 3 is about 3.3 pounds. This is one of the things that I had actually talked to AirMagnet about not that long ago; maybe two years ago. I had asked them if they would port it over to an Android device, which was considerably lighter than a Surface Pro at the time. 3.3 pounds doesn't seem like a lot until you spend eight hours a day, five days a week, carrying the device around on your arm with it cocked. You've got to constantly be putting a mark or, with…
Sr. Network Engineer - Network Information Systems at a tech services company
We use the Multi-Floor Planner for multi-floor heat maps or for more than one heat map in one document.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend this product because of its features, flexibility, accuracy and ease of use.
National Networking And Wireless Service Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides us with SSID and throughput readings. We can create standard heat maps.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely take the courses that they offer. I acquired the AirMagnet 30 and 40 certificates for running AirMagnet Survey Pro and the Spectrum Analyzer. It is pretty much the same learning base. Teaching people how to use the tool is pretty straightforward if you just explain it to them. You need to teach about data merging or merging certain paths together.
Product Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Enables wireless network deployment. Provides wireless coverage maps and spectrum data integration.

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing the solution, request an evaluation license to test it. Think carefully and then chose a product which is stable, useful, and very famous in the IT industry.
Wireless Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides a more accurate representation of attenuation than Cisco Prime.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely do the training and study CWNA or CCNP Wireless.
Network Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The Spectrum Expert is useful in troubleshooting and day-to-day operations of wireless engineering.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product and has good support. There is a lot of positive feedback from the wireless community, or networking community, so it's a trusted brand.
System Engineer Wlan at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It helps us see the wireless coverage plan, the signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and so on. I would like it to do more automatic planning.

What other advice do I have?

If they want a good feel of the network, it has all the tools and information you need to know for problems with coverage and signal strength. It gives a great view of the network that you have in your wireless environment.
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
The whole program itself benefits me. The software itself works well.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, it almost seems like you can get by without having to purchase the software and have somebody run the scan. In a lot of cases, you can just download the stuff off of Cisco's website and use theirs. You're pretty much going to get the same results. I guess my advice is don't spend too much money. You don't need it as much as you used to. Customers don't even require that we even do these walks anymore. What they've done is through the years, they've realized that they can almost have their own IT guys do it and run just any old brand software off the web for free or for really, really…
Senior Network Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us hard evidence on how to determine where we need to place wireless access coverage.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that as far as implementing, get a demo, run it, and make sure it will work in your environment. Then, if you're comparing it with another product, do your homework and run your tests. But, we found for our needs, the AirMagnet Survey tool was the best product.
Senior Network Engineer at a university with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to verify coverage areas and signal strength levels within campus buildings.

What other advice do I have?

Try out the tool. You will find out quickly that the AirMagnet survey tool is the most versatile tool out there.
Senior Manager of Network at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Ability to click and walk a straight route to the end without multiple clicks is valuable

What other advice do I have?

Know how to create or obtain scaled diagrams.
Network Engineer / Project Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Has the capability to perform roaming among APs in many different ways.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product.
Project Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
I use it mostly for predictive surveys and for validations.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent software solution . I would recommend, if you're getting AirMagnet, to also get the Spectrum. Get the Pro and get Spectrum Analyzer with it, because I think that's very useful when it comes to troubleshooting. That's where you get the most valuable information from. As far as using the software, it's going to give you true results and be very accurate. There's other software out there that does the thing that AirMagnet does, but that also has the ability to import CAD drawings, accept the measurements and so on, which I like.
Consultant - Secure Mobility with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
The SNR and RSSI information to optimize access point placement is valuable. Strict licensing model based on the hardware MAC address of the capture adapter.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are not using any custom software on the platform you are installing this onto. Disable all security, whether it be endpoint protection or other. Be patient with the software and find an “order of operations” combination that works for startup and surveying.
Engineer Radio Networks at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It is possibile to conduct both passive and active surveys at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

Do all your surveys with two wireless cards.
PC Specialist at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to help show our wireless coverage throughout the building. Once we have completed the survey, we move access points or make other necessary changes where it is needed.

What other advice do I have?

AirMagnet has a wide variety of products that fit in with the Survey Pro. The planner looks to be a great tool but unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to test it out yet.
IT Admin at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with the spectrum analysis and can run multiple wireless adapters, allowing us to collect more data efficiently.

What other advice do I have?

Find a way to standardize, especially the adapters and the hardware being used. I just find that having consistent results in data is comparative. If you are using this for an organization like ours, where we have multiple engineers all working together, having a standardized hardware platform makes a big difference. It's as good as it gets, in my opinion right now, and nothing is ever perfect.