AirMagnet Survey OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AirMagnet Survey is #1 ranked solution in top Network Modeling tools and #4 ranked solution in top Network Troubleshooting tools. IT Central Station users give AirMagnet Survey an average rating of 8 out of 10. AirMagnet Survey is most commonly compared to Ekahau Site Survey:AirMagnet Survey vs Ekahau Site Survey. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is AirMagnet Survey?

AirMagnet Survey is a software-based site survey solution that allows IT and network professionals to plan and deploy wireless 802.11n/a/b/g/ac LAN for optimal performance, security and compliance. The tool provides users the ability to visualize RF coverage, collect real world performance data, and map interferers. The new Survey Mobile app allows for design and validation of lower end BYOD on Android phones and tablets.

Download the Network Modeling Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

AirMagnet Survey Customers

Houston Methodist Hospital, Love's Travel Stops

AirMagnet Survey Video

Archived AirMagnet Survey Reviews (more than two years old)

TG
Information Technology Specialist at a government with 51-200 employees
The product is set up in a fashion that non-technical people can understand it

• "It is reliable and easy to use (user-friendly). The heat mapping, passive network surveying, and doing the heat mapping of a building's wireless network allows me to see what level of coverage an area has."
  • "The benefit is with the ease of use of the software, I am able to show the customer, "Here is what your wireless coverage looks like." It is set up in a fashion that non-technical people can understand it."
  • "Printouts are JPEG printouts. The AirMagnet software is proprietary. I can't send my customers a file, because it is AirMagnet file, even for building projects. I can only send JPEGs or screenshots of heat maps."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is wireless network surveying.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is reliable and easy to use (user-friendly). The heat mapping, passive network surveying, and doing the heat mapping of a building's wireless network allows me to see what level of coverage an area has.

What needs improvement?

Printouts are JPEG printouts. The AirMagnet software is proprietary. I can't send my customers a file, because it is AirMagnet file, even for building projects. I can only send JPEGs or screenshots of heat maps.

We used to have issues with the software freezing up. With the latest versions in the last couple of years, the technology of the notebooks' processing capability has helped us get over the hurdle of the software freezing up because of the data input in large buildings.

I have not used the technical support.

The initial setup was fairly easy to do.

What other advice do I have?

Call the manufacturer directly and talk to them about their product.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

1. Technical functionality
  2. Competitive pricing
  3. Government pricing discounts.
it_user884223
C.E.O at Metronet
User
Clear and easy to use maps. The pricing needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

We use this product in the hospitality, education (K-12), and healthcare industries.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us when dealing with the hospitality industry.

What is most valuable?

Clear and easy to use maps. It is easy to upload the maps

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us when dealing with the hospitality industry.

What is most valuable?

• Clear and easy to use maps.
  • It is easy to upload the maps

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs improvement.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetAlly, Ekahau, iBwave and others in Network Modeling. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MK
Network Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Creates predictive heat maps to locate access points. I would like to see improvements in the user interface.

• "The most valuable feature is the predictive survey. The antennas' RF patterns are reflected correctly on the drawing when preparing predictive heat maps."
  • "The user interface needs a lot of improvement. The auto-placement of access points is not accurate."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The predictive survey creates heat maps which are accurate and save a lot of time. The results are accurate enough to rely on when considering quantities and locations of wireless access points.

This is very helpful, especially when you need to know the required number of access points to price a project. You can rely on the results and the location of access points without an actual survey.

The actual site survey will be useful for fine-tuning. It will be shorter because you will do the survey when you already know the location of access points. You will not have to start from scratch.

User interface:

The UI is missing lots of simple features like multiple selection and modification of objects (access points and walls), undo, re-do, and stable zooming.

After a site survey, it is a hassle to point the access points to their correct location on the drawing. Reports are very basic and bad. Modification and formatting is very tiring. The results depend on the drawing and the site survey without considering the areas excluded from coverage.

Auto-placement:

Auto-placement of access points (for predictive survey) is a basic feature in AirMagnet. You cannot use it because the number of access points will be excessive. You should place access points on the drawing manually, one-by-one based on specs, RF pattern, wall attenuation, obstacles, and your experience.

We have used this solution for three years.

The software crashes frequently which requires you to restart your PC.

AirMagnet has no issues with scalability.

Customer service is good.

Technical support is good and fast. I have contacted technical support couple of times and they know what they are doing.

We used Ekahau, as per a client request. I started using AirMagnet afterwards.

It is easy to setup the software and to start projects.

In-house

For technical support, you need an annual license, but it is not worth it.

I evaluated Ekahau.

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to do predictive surveys, then doing tests and passive site surveys to check wall attenuation is a must. You cannot depend on the default values of concrete and bricks.

Solutions Design Manager with 51-200 employees
User
Allows for preparation of more real designs, but needs improvement in real surveying.

• "It allows us to prepare more real designs. Later, we validate them with actual surveys."
  • "Less time consumed doing the real surveys."

What is most valuable?

The support for multi-floor surveys.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Less time consumed doing the real surveys.

Since 2012.

The main issue was when you define obstacles for the wi-fi signal, you cannot define the height of them. For example, if you have a brick wall of 1.7 meters (6 ft.) high and on top of it a 60 cm. (2 ft.) window, you are only able to define a 2.20 meters brick wall. For example, this setup is very common in schools where they prefer to have the wi-fi router outside of the classrooms.

In general, it is very stable, most of the issues were with Windows stability.

An eight out of 10.

An eight out of 10.

We acquired this solution to work with Ruckus Wireless eq., the AirMagnet version that we used was a OEM for Ruckus.

It is very straightforward to implement, the only issue is if you change wi-fi for the MAC address.

In-house

Not applicable.

This version was okay in price when it was dedicated to only one vendor. The moment we began needing more of the vendor's support, the cost became very high; we switched to another solution.

Aruba and VRF Plan.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend doing a comparison between the newer version of AirMagnet and Ekahau before purchasing.

Terry Sawchuk
Customer Systems Analyst (Senior Design) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Custom Calibration enables Proxim adapter to emulate Cisco 8821 Wireless IP Handset
The Custom Calibration has been in all AirMagnet Survey Pro versions, but I have not used it until recently. By using an offset of -7 across all 5GHz channels, the Proxim adapter can now closely emulate what a Cisco 8821 Wireless IP handset looks like in an active survey. Without creating a custom adjustment, there can be at times a 5 to 10dBm RSSI difference between what the AirMagnet adapter indicates during the survey and what the Cisco 8821 indicates in the same location as shown below.

it_user621033
Office Manager
Ensures the safety of our equipment that we have a lot invested in. The user interface on the screen and dial could be spelled out better for a novice.

• "Using the products to ensure the safety of our equipment that we have a lot invested in."
  • "I would say some of our newer techs that are going out to job sites can be a little bit intimidated by the interface."

What is most valuable?

We normally use AirMagnet products to meter voltage coming off any number of services at the venues that we go to, or generators in the instance that we're doing something that's a temporary powered situation; so, metering voltage, and then also metering amperage draw.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest mission-critical function would be safety concerns. We are dealing with a lot of real sensitive electronics that can be damaged if the incorrect voltage is sent down to them; so, using the products to ensure the safety of our equipment that we have a lot invested in.

What needs improvement?

I would say some of our newer techs that are going out to job sites can be a little bit intimidated by the interface. A more user-friendly interface for the meters; knowing which setting to use, if I'm testing amperage, and if I'm testing voltage, which setting do I need to be on. Maybe there's a better way to identify if I'm looking to meter a service and what setting should I have my meter, it needs to be in this position. Or if I'm going to check amperage draw, which setting do I use.

We're talking about a multimeter product, like a voltmeter, and I think that the user interface on the screen and dial could be spelled out better for a novice.
But the physical features are in line with most of the other competitors.

I have been using it for the last five years.

It has been stable.

It definitely is tracking fine for what we're using it for.

We haven't used technical support for five years.

I think if anything we've switched to Fluke because it's definitely a more industry standard. Before, we had used some different products that were more economy-level kind of things.

Setup is straightforward. We were only involved in some of the real smaller, handheld products, like voltmeters and things.

We use commercial electric products, as well, that tend to be a little bit more affordable. But once again, if it is a mission-critical application, sometimes we would lean their way.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that employee training becomes really important, so that everyone who's using the products knows how to use them safely. You know, you're dealing with electricity, so it can get a little dicey.

it_user621039
User at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I use the WiFi Analyzer to see signal interference, co-channel interference, the devices, and so on. On the survey side, they need to have more adapters to support.

What is most valuable?

I use almost all AirMagnet features. For the survey, I use PRO. I use Planner for planning tools. I use WiFi Analyzer for troubleshooting, and XT for the troubleshooting, as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The predictive survey has improved the way my organization functions. I use their planner when making the walls. You can create a real-world environment and then come up with the plan for APs. Once everything is in place or if a real-world survey is needed, then the active survey or passive survey is used for that purpose.

For the WiFi Analyzer, if there is trouble in a wireless environment, I use it to see the signal interference, the co-channel interference, the devices, and those kinds of things.

For spectrum analysis, if issues are reported, to check the overall health of the wireless, I use Spectrum XT.

Before AirMagnet, most of the survey work was guesswork, depending on the expertise of the engineer. They used to place the APs, and then go back and do the survey. So, when AirMagnet Survey first became available, that became a lot easier. Before that, there was another tool called Ekahau Site Survey. With AirMagnet, you have all of the solutions, all of the tools, from the one platform.

What needs improvement?

The worst thing that is built into AirMagnet is, if your laptop crashes in the middle, all of the work you have done is gone. There should be an auto-save functionality. Currently, even if you stop the survey, save it, and your tool crashes, that thing is not saved. The auto-saving should be more reliable, so that your done part is not gone. Auto-saving must be a key factor.

On the survey side, they need to have more adapters to support. In the adapter, there should be more preset values. Because right now, the way the survey tool is designed, you have to set the specific power before you start the survey, but most of the vendors, with the current environment, they are going on automatic power and channel settings. AirMagnet lacks that capability. They need to have an option with the auto-channel and auto-power, so we can come up with more accurate surveys.

Another main problem I have with the tool is, in Spectrum XT, you have to select the band, like 5 GHz, lower, middle, Uni1, Uni2, Uni3 and extended. So you cannot have the whole thing on one screen. That is needed. There should be one screen which has all of the spectrum on the dashboard, so you can see the whole picture in one place, instead of having four screens open. If somebody's using a 10- or 12-inch laptop, a notebook, a tablet, then you can imagine opening four screens side by side, how small they will become.

They need to have a dashboard which will show the entire spectrum on one screen. They could add additional screens. If somebody wants to know further details of a screen, they could open up another screen, like they have in the WiFi Analyzer, which has different tabs. The first tab shows the main screen. Then, if you want to go and look into specific things, you go to that screen.

I've been using the Proxim adapters. They are not really roaming well.

Also, the USB adapter is not reliable with the users. For example, we have the AirMagnet tool on the laptop and everybody uses that USB. If the laptop is gone, you can't assign a license to a laptop. If that is gone, you have to redo the whole thing.

If AirMagnet can come up with their own adapter that is more compatible with their tool, I think that's more preferable. The reason is if you use this Proxim adapter, you get different results. If you use NetGear or some other adapter, you get a different result. The reason is the adapters don't have the same sensitivity on the wireless side. That should be standard, so that we are sure we are getting data that is reliable.

This tool does not work with the drivers of those USB adapters. The adapters and drivers should be more consistent. Changing the adapters should not change the result of the survey.

They need to change the way AirMagnet starts a project. It is exactly the same as when they started in 2004. They have not changed it. They need to change it according to the current wireless settings, according to current wireless environments. It needs to change, because if you look at AirMagnet 4 and AirMagnet 11, the start of the project, and how you build the thing and get to the survey screen, that is exactly the same. Between 2004 and 2016, wireless has changed a lot.

We have been using the solution since 2004.

There were stability issues. It takes up a lot of resources and it crashes in the middle.

It does a pretty good job with scalability, because this is all software which is installed on hardware. It doesn't have hardware. If you have hardware, you still have software installed on it. So, I think there are some tweaks on the software side that need to be more specific for some main vendors: Cisco, Aruba, Motorola and those vendors. If there are some presets for their main antenna patterns, that would be more helpful to do the survey.

I called technical support several times but most of the time, the people I talk to are not so intensively knowledgeable technically. For example, I have 12 years of radio frequency (RF) wireless experience and those people are just sales and support kind of people. So, I don't blame them. I rate technical support 10/10.

When I switched to AirMagnet in 2004-05, I also used Ekahau a little bit and at that time, Ekahau was also at the preliminary stage because wireless was not that popular. AirMagnet was more user friendly and there were more settings that you could tweak. There were more options compared to Ekahau.

I have pretty much stuck with AirMagnet since then.

The setup was easy. That's one of the reasons everybody is using AirMagnet. It is easy to set up, easy to operate.

I just got some of the reviews on the Ekahau tool I used because the other tools and other options available were not enterprise-type. On the enterprise side of wireless survey, Ekahau mostly provided survey tools and other things. But they were not intensive. AirMagnet is a one-stop shop for everything. That's why I'm still sticking to AirMagnet.

it_user599034
CCIE Engineer at a tech services company
We are using the multi-floor planner.

What is most valuable?

We are using the multi-floor planner, which is very useful for us to create heat maps. We are also using the AirMagnet site survey. It's really helpful for us to know in which areas we are losing the signal and in which areas the signals are very good. So, this is very nice for us.

We have created lots of plans through this AirMagnet tool. It's very good.

What needs improvement?

Whenever we are doing the site survey, it will catch most of the areas. However, for example, if we are creating the plan after doing the site survey, in some areas, it will show some signals but actually the signals are not there. The client will ask, "It is showing the signal here, but actually the signals are very weak. Even though it is still showing the green light." So, that is the only concern and the problem area. It will show the signal, but actually there will be less signal. That is the only part which can improve.

There are some requirements for new access points for Cisco. Right now, as to what access points we are using, we are not getting the same model more or less. It should have some updates. They should include those new access points, i.e., whichever access points Cisco or any other vendors are making, so they should be there. They should include them in their upgrades and updates, so that we can easily give those specifics to access points and we can start our work. But as of now, what I have found is that there are some model numbers that I'm not able to get the model number in AirMagnet. (I forget the exact model number, actually.) Hence, what we did was, we created it manually. We manually created the access point. Thus, if AirMagnet can upgrade the new model number for the access points and can include it in the updates, it would be really helpful for us (mostly for Cisco).

It should work faster than the current version that we have and should include some more features that can help us. It would benefit us, if we could have some more features. This is totally up to the developers, so as to include the specific features in a later version and how they can build up some new features that can help us. That would be good.

I have used the AirMagnet solution for the last year, i.e., for more than a year or so.

In regards to the stability, things are okay. I didn't find any problem with the software as such. Everything was fine. As of now, it's fine. I didn't find any difficulty other than that. It's a good software.

As for the scalability, it's okay because we are doing at a time up to 15 access points with the controller support; so based on that, it's fine. There's no scalability problem and we can do more access points also at a time.

We were doing at least 3-4 surveys before when our project was here and it was a big project. So we are doing at least 3 to 4 surveys per day and it was good. It's all good. There's no issue with the scalability. It's fine.

The last time one of my colleagues opened a ticket for some installation, as there was some problem with the installation/re-installation, we got proper support from the technical guys. There's no issue with support.

Personally, I didn't use any site survey software before, but I don't know about my colleagues. Maybe they used something else. Once I joined this company, I started with AirMagnet itself. Before there was some Snyder solution which was a free software that we used. However, comparing that to this tool, AirMagnet is a good and reliable solution. It's not giving us fake results; it's in real time.

The setup was simple and very straightforward. There's no complexity as such. It's simple.

What other advice do I have?

As I mentioned earlier, the only thing is that we are not able to find the new devices from vendors like Cisco and Aruba; access points. We need them to include those access points and it would be really helpful for us. The rest of the things are okay. It is a good solution. My advice is to include only the newer version of the access points in the AirMagnet tool, so that it will be really helpful for us.

it_user621834
Engineer/Project Coordinator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to design and deploy big WiFi networks.

What is most valuable?

I'm using it both for designing purposes and for active site survey.

How has it helped my organization?

It's helping me a lot for designing and for carrying out large implementations. By using this tool, we can also deploy a very big WiFi network. I have used other solutions like the Ekahau Wi-Fi tools, but I think this one is more user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the graphical representations, it can be improved.

Right now, the AirMagnet has the latest features, such as the 3-D structure feature, as opposed to the other solutions. I think that was implemented in the last year. So, that was the best feature and the scope of improvement in that sense.

I have been using this product for the last four years.

I feel like the software crashed on my laptop so many times, as compared to when I was using the Ekahau, but it's fine. For me, while using the AirMagnet, it crashed on my laptop around two to three times and this is my experience that I had with the AirMagnet range.

It crashed at any time and affected my work in regards to saving stuff and things like that. Also, it had a small impact while getting back to what I was doing. I didn't save it when I was working on a somewhat big project and it happened to me about two or three times.

In terms of capacity, it's stable. AirMagnet is stable in regards to the traffic and capacity. I did not feel any difficulty with scalability.

I did not use any technical support.

At first, I started my work in WiFi designing with AirMagnet and then later on, I switched to other solutions so as to seek better compatibility, to check how it works, etc.

I wanted to check what are the differences and extra features that are being provided by other vendors, so that's why I switched to another vendor. Thus, simultaneously I was using maybe two or three solutions at a time. However, I prioritized the AirMagnet ones.

The setup was simple. Even if you don't have much knowledge in terms of WiFi, you will be able to understand what features are included in the software.

In terms of the prices, I am aware how much this product costs and the other vendor prices as well. However, I don't know how to compare them. In regards to the means of solution or the technical aspects, it's easy to implement it for an open-minded person.

When I first started using it, I was forced to use this solution because my company was only providing AirMagnet for me. That is when I used AirMagnet for the first time and later on, I got a chance to go check out other solutions. Thus, I didn't get a chance to evaluate other products during my first time experience. Later on, I did look at other tools.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely suggest the AirMagnet solution for WiFi implementations. This is the best solution that I can suggest to others.

it_user622740
National Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It carries out wireless surveys and records wireless signal strength.

What is most valuable?

It carries out wireless surveys and records wireless signal strength. That's what we use it for.

How has it helped my organization?

The software really does what it has been doing for years now. It records the wireless signal strengths and that's mainly it. It doesn't really improve our process. It just does what it's supposed to.

What needs improvement?

Since it crashes 1 out of 20 times, it would be great if they could make it more stable.

We use it on a daily basis, and it crashes 1 out of 20 times.

It seems to be something with the software, or with the Windows' configuration.

We have used technical support. They obviously continue working on improving it. Their support is good.

We haven't really used any other solution because there really wasn't anything out there like AirMagnet. It had no other competition at that time.

The setup was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The more you use, the better you get at it.

Terry Sawchuk
It allows me to mitigate interference before installing access points.

What is most valuable?

Spectrum XT running at the same time during survey mode: It allows me to investigate after the survey to see what was causing the interference and mitigate it before installing the access points.

The reports that are generated are very good and a customer can make since of them.

The ability to run both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz active surveys at the same time for 802.11n applications is a real time saver you don’t have to walk the floor twice to gather the data you need.

Another valuable feature is the ability to use CAD drawings and to select layers within the CAD drawing to cut down on clutter and make the CAD files easier to work with.

The ability to tie the license to a wireless adapter MAC or the MAC of the computer is a nice feature especially if you want to use the software on more than one computer.

How has it helped my organization?

AirMagnet allows our organization to relatively quickly provide our customers with a budgetary solution that meets their business needs.

What needs improvement?

The planner function would be better if there was the ability to change the antenna orientation for external antenna, e.g., tilt angle.

The multi-floor alignment tool is not very good; only having to use two points and hope that they line up is tough. I have had to alter the floor plan’s scale to get the alignment tool to work correctly.

Having better capacity planning, the ability to add different client devices would be nice.

The user manual is quite in depth; it would be nice for the price that you pay for the product that there could be a link in the user guide to see exactly how to use/run a particular function other than screen shots. For example, conducting VoFi Surveys:

I have used AirMagnet Survey Pro for 11 years. I have used AirMagnet Planner for six years.

No deployment issues where encountered during the installation process. At the time we purchased the software there were still CDs to install the software, it was very straight forward.

I have not encountered any stability issues with this version at all; a very vast improvement from some of the earlier versions.

I have not encountered any scalability issues; AirMagnet has made some substantial improvements with the product with each release.

The Gold Support is the best that I have dealt with. Everyone that I have encountered is very knowledgeable with the product and issues are quickly resolved, especially the ones are user orientated!!

AirMagnet was the first product that we have used since day one. We also use Ekahau in our tool kit.

Setup is very easy, very straightforward just download the new software and license and you are good to go.

It is worth mentioning that you need to delete the current version of software you are using before installing a newer version.

The MAJOR concern that I have with AirMagnet is the cost of the Gold Support renewal. It is very costly compared to Ekahau.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options; AirMagnet at that time was the only product available.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good and I highly recommend it, especially if you have to present the survey finding to clients.

This is an absolutely needed tool for the WLAN professional!!

it_user561837
Senior Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Interactive mapping scales as you are walking.

What is most valuable?

The interactive mapping tool: If you have a map, it'll scale the map to be accurate. You literally just click where you are as you are walking. It's very simple. Then, from that mapping, you can run reports and get a lot of information.

Bandwidth Monitoring: They have an option to set up iPerf on a server and it will check bandwidth as you do your survey to make sure your users have a quality WiFi experience.

Reports: The reports are amazing and very easy to run. At first you may need some assistance understanding what to do with the data but that’s just the technical part you will learn.

Android Mobile APP: They have a version of this that can run on Android. For quick surveys that you can later import into Air Magnet this can be really handy for your field technicians to share or use for troubleshooting.

How has it helped my organization?

We survey hospitals, schools and any other business that would like a survey. We sell our service and it creates another avenue for revenue.

What needs improvement?

If you have an older version of Air Magnet get caught up. It use to crash a lot. Version 9.1 is great. It’ll run all day with no issues (we always restart at lunch time). The only main improvement point I can make is offer free training

We have used it for about 9 months.

We use to have issues with crashing. If you do just get it updated. It’s worth it! It’s much better!

No issues. I’ve heard people say they’d like to do multiple floors on one survey but I like having the smaller surveys to work with anyway.

Tech support does a pretty good job. I’d give them a 8 or 9 out of ten.

We didn't have a previous solution.

Setup is a little complex, not because of any issues but because of the nature of the beast. You have to know a lot of different things to make it work properly, but that might just be because the software is complex. Not in a bad way; there's just a lot of things you have to know. A few more wizards for setup would help us not forget things. It’d be nice to have a wizard that asked if you are doing certain channels or both bands, etc.

The only reason we use this software is because the people that hire us to do the surveys require the software. We then found other ways to create revenue with it since it is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My biggest complaint is their training shouldn't be so expensive. I personally think they should have online videos of free training and if you want to have a need for more complex training then pay for a class. Maybe a “how to understand reports” class would be nice! If they would give us some training, it wouldn't feel so complicated. Their training is so expensive, it's hard to be good at it without spending a lot more money and when you already spent $4000 on the software it’s not a good feeling to open the software and not know what to do next.

Get training or ask others since training is so expensive. Try YouTube videos and just ask others to get some details. If it’s too complex after watching YouTube then you may ask for training with your purchase or something like that. I wish we did!

it_user583098
Senior E Learning Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
I use it for wireless network deployment at the construction stage.

What is most valuable?

• Planning module - I use it for wireless network deployment at the construction stage.
  • Survey module - wireless coverage map and spectrum date integration is useful for checking the wireless coverage and performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using this product we performed a wireless project design with a rough understanding of how the wireless network should look like. Very often the final quantity of APs was not what was planned on paper. With AirMagnet Survey we can make a floor plan import. Now in v9.1 we have the possibility to even use the AutoCAD floor plan where the walls, doors, and window materials are designed by an engineer, and the survey can apply this characteristic by itself which decreases our time preparing the floor plans.

AirMagnet Survey then automatically calculates the required number of access points, which is quite close to the final quantity. After deploying the access points we make a coverage map report for the customer including data about interference, physical data rates, noise level, signal noise ratio coverage, user capacity, and throughput.

It helps us to fully support 802.11 a/b/n/g/ac standards.

What needs improvement?

AirMagnet Survey is very useful for designing and deploying wireless 802.11n/a/b/g/ac projects, in any company from small offices to large campus buildings.

We have been using AirMagnet Survey about five years, since it was from Fluke Networks and now it is a Netscout brand.

Yes, normally it happens with products from different vendors. We have had a problem with the reporting module, as it can't put the full size picture of a floor plan in the report. After we initiated several support cases these problems were solved with the new release.

A year ago there was a problem with huge floor plan pictures which was hanging up the software during reporting. It was solved with the release update.

Technical support is one of the important things that customers appreciate, and Netscout have some very qualified engineers who help very rapidly with every question.

Yes we used the Ekahau Site Survey, which is also a good quality product, but they are still growing and have lots of bugs. These guys try to do their best and it looks like they are good professionals on their job. We chose the AirMagnet Survey because it was recommended by Cisco, also we like the functionality of it and of course the main reason was the Russian localization of reports which is essential in our country.

AirMagnet is a very stable and time-tested product, as proved by the fact that the world's leading IT companies use AirMagnet Survey and if we look at the release notes we can see a lot of new features instead of bug fixes as in the Ekahau Site Survey.

Installation is very simple, you just need to register the software key on the AirMagnet web account, then download and install the software on your PC, every time clicking the "Next" button.

The price is not so high compared with other products of similar quality. My recommendation for customers is to periodically renew the support contract, because some software releases which contain new interesting features can be downloaded only if you maintain an active support contract. As this product now belongs to Netscout I'm sure they will develop it to be much more interesting and useful.

Yes, before purchasing we requested evaluation software of each AirMagnet product: AirMagnet Survey Pro, AirMagnet WiFi Analyzer, AirMagnet Spectrum XT.

Also we compared it with Ekahau Site Survey as it is the only quality product with the same functionality, but our purchasing decision was AirMagnet Survey.

What other advice do I have?

My advice, before purchasing request an evaluation license to test it and then choose the product which is stable, useful, and very well known in the IT industry.

it_user602424
Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure And Operations at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Provides a visual tool that we can show our clients that the wireless is either working or not working in an area.

What is most valuable?

I use AirMagnet Survey heavily for the work that I do. My responsibility is to make sure that we have good coverage in our facilities. I have also used it in the past to do the site survey for placement of APs in a hospital.

How has it helped my organization?

I use it heavily, primarily for troubleshooting issues where there are complaints of inadequate coverage in an area. The product itself provides us a visual tool that we can use to show our clients that the wireless is either working or not working in that area. We use it to make adjustments, if we have to, to the coverage.

What needs improvement?

The product is working much better than it had been. We can get it down to a tablet now, which was something that I was asking for. Now, we can run it on a Microsoft Surface. I don't use it now quite as heavily as I had been.

I have been using AirMagnet since 2005; about 12 years.

We will get lockups every now and then. I still get those; not near as frequently as I used to. The product seems to be much more stable than it was even six years ago. I just used the product at a couple different sites and I think I only had one lockup in probably three or four hours of work, which is good. It was actually the application that locked up because everything else on the tablet was still functioning.

I used to have a lot of problems if we had a large amount of data. If we were doing a large area in a passive survey and we had a large amount of data, it would stop recording. I've not run into that problem now for the last three years. I can do a large-area passive survey and it will continue to record without issue.

Improvements in laptops and other devices has helped. I'm currently running it on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have not run into that problem since moving to that device and with the latest versions.

I had a couple issues a long time ago primarily around lockups and those types of issues. Also, when we were collecting a large amount of data, it would stop collecting data. I had talked to technical support about that at the time. That was a long time ago; probably 8-10 years ago. They were helpful. We tried several things to resolve the problem. The problem was probably resolved with newer hardware and improvements that were made to the program over the years. The stability of the application now is probably the best it's been, from my point of view.

We did not have a solution prior to AirMagnet. This goes clear back to 2005. I was getting ready to start doing site surveys for installing wireless networks in hospitals in Iowa. I had four large hospitals and roughly 100 clinics to survey and I was looking for a product. This was recommended by a colleague, so we went ahead and purchased AirMagnet Survey. At that time, it was called Laptop Trio. We used that to perform the actual site surveys for all of our hospitals.

When we first got AirMagnet back in 2005, I had a Fujitsu laptop. It was convertible to a tablet. We got the product purchased. I installed it and was doing surveys within a couple of hours. It's very straightforward. I've not had a lot of trouble with it.

Again, I've been working with it for 12 years. I'm familiar with it. Sometimes, I'm a little rusty, so it takes a little while to figure out how to do a survey again, but it's not that difficult.

At the time we bought this, it was one of only a couple products out there that was as thorough at what it did. With the proliferation of wireless in our facilities, and throughout everywhere, we've become a very mobile society.

I have been approached in the last year about another product that's out there that's not as expensive as AirMagnet. One of the problems with AirMagnet, in our organization, is the cost it takes to maintain our licensing. We've purchased the product and it feels like you're purchasing it every year again.

There's a product by MetaGeek called inSSIDer. That product is a 1/10 of the cost. And it does very similar functions to AirMagnet. I'm very familiar with AirMagnet, but have been looking at inSSIDer. The cost difference for our organization starts leaning us. We can afford to put inSSIDer in more hands with our technical folks than we can with AirMagnet.

I've maintained a license for this since 2005. I've got the Spectrum Analyzer. I've got AirMagnet Survey PRO. We had Laptop Trio. That continued maintenance cost is starting to seem a bit extreme compared to other products out in the market.

We did not look at anything else. This came highly recommended and that's what we went with. I didn't look at any other products.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use it the way that we use it, I strongly recommend going to a tablet device that's as light as possible. The Surface Pro 3 is about 3.3 pounds. This is one of the things that I had actually talked to AirMagnet about not that long ago; maybe two years ago. I had asked them if they would port it over to an Android device, which was considerably lighter than a Surface Pro at the time. 3.3 pounds doesn't seem like a lot until you spend eight hours a day, five days a week, carrying the device around on your arm with it cocked.

You've got to constantly be putting a mark or, with a pen, you're constantly tapping as you're doing the survey. Now, that thing gets heavy. That would be one thing; if they could get it ported over to run on an Android device that weighs under a pound. That's a huge difference.

I'm not sold on it, like an Apple iPad, but either an iOS or an Android-based device where we can get it onto a tablet and it weighs less than the Microsoft Surface. I've seen guys using this that are carrying around a laptop. You get down to an Android device, it costs a few hundred dollars to buy that and you can run this product on that device. It becomes much more attractive than going out and buying a $1700 Surface Pro. It depends on how often you use it.

it_user605043
Sr. Network Engineer - Network Information Systems at a tech services company
We use the Multi-Floor Planner for multi-floor heat maps or for more than one heat map in one document.

What is most valuable?

I liked two features the most:

• Multi-Floor Planner: We use it for multi-floor heat maps or for more than one heat map in one document.
  • Planner: We use it for active site surveys. This feature is also very good.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us a lot in a very big hospital project with five buildings, each with more than 10 floors. We had to do an active survey on site and also provide the heat map. It helped us in giving us the best results.

What needs improvement?

Last year, we had a project where the client was using Cisco 1700 series AP and they asked for a heat map. We have to select the exact model in the list provided in AirMagnet and, at that time, Cisco AP 1700 series was not present in the list provided. We have to add the device manually by adding its path and details. If the available list of APs is updated, it will be very good.

I’ve used AirMagnet for almost two years.

No stability issues were encountered while we were using it.

No scalability issues were encountered while we were using it.

Customer service is very good, supportive and quick in response.

We did not have any previous solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have our in-house team and I am involved in the team for the deployments.

ROI is always the best satisfaction that we get after the 99% accurate results.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend this product because of its features, flexibility, accuracy and ease of use.

it_user599010
National Networking And Wireless Service Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides us with SSID and throughput readings. We can create standard heat maps.

What is most valuable?

I have been using AirMagnet for clients to do WiFi surveys. This is pretty much an AP-on-a-Stick survey. Right now, I'm on a deployment in which we are using it for a validation.

How has it helped my organization?

Everything about the AirMagnet is useful. It's good for work, giving us our SSID and throughput readings for the AC that is currently available. We have been using it primarily for the 2.4 and 5 GHz to create standard heat maps for their standard coverage.

What needs improvement?

They need to get it up to speed with surveying and using the product on a tablet-based platform. Sometimes you don't have a stylus with you and you don't have the right-click functionalities in certain areas, like with the merge.

If you have a mouse, as was the case in previous years, I always used it on a laptop. It was right-click, data merge up, and SVD files.

I've been using the SurfacePro 4 for the last couple of months with AirMagnet. It just has the right-click functionality. It does not respond well in AirMagnet with the stylus. There are certain things you can do, but there are other things you can't do. It's very finicky as far as picking up right-clicks.

Some more functionality with tablets would be good. Just to make sure that it runs smoothly and you can do everything on the tablet that you could do on the laptop.

With previous versions, there was a way to exclude erroneous data. Anything over a certain decibel rating would not be included in the final merge of the data, which was pretty neat. That got taken out in Version 9.1.

The only thing that I've seen people struggle with is reading the floor plan as they're walking. I was discussing this with my co-worker.

It would be great if there were a way to have the floor plan actually flip with you as you're walking. That would require having some kind of GPS integrated indoors, which I don't even know if it's possible to have an indoor GPS survey. It would be sort of like Pokemon. You just walk around, and whatever is inside the tablet will just walk around with you.

I’ve used AirMagnet for about six or seven years.

Stability is not really too good when you have larger floor plans. Some of the floor plans that we imported into the AirMagnet software were almost 80,000 square feet. If you have a floor plan that big, it's unresponsive and lagging as far as capturing data and being responsive to the initial clicks.

There are some issues with the drivers as well. I guess that would be more of a user error. If you don't unload the drivers properly, you get blue screens and it crashes.

As far as what I have been using it for, we have not had scalability problems. But there were definitely scalability issues in the past.

It's been a long time since I've had to do an overly large floor plan. I haven't really looked through the floor plans for this site yet. As far as I know, everything should be smaller and run smoothly. It can handle a good amount of what we do.

It crashes only if you have too large of a floor plan or you're trying to merge a lot of data together. It does get hung up. I am using an i7 processor now that has plenty of RAM on the tablet.

Sometimes it could be an issue that the computer can handle, but the solution cannot handle it.

The quality of technical support varies for me. I was a 1099 contractor for quite some time. The AirMagnet software was actually provided to me through another company.

I wouldn't necessarily have the Gold service support like I've had with companies in previous years. It's been a really long time since I've had to call into support.

Ever since I started doing these WiFi surveys or site surveys, I've mostly used AirMagnet.

The initial setup for me was just a download of the software and then installing the right drivers. It was pretty straightforward on my end.

As far as pricing and renewing the licenses and things of that nature, I've only really had to do that once for my company.

From what I remember a couple years back, we were going through a phase where we did have to log in to my AirMagnet website account. I needed to remove all the people who left the company or their licenses were expired. From what I remember, I got pretty straightforward answers when I called support.

I don't remember if we evaluated other options. The only other survey software that I know that's out there is Ekahau. It acts similar to AirMagnet.

As soon as I started in this field doing the WiFi surveys, it's always been AirMagnet. It seems to be used very widely throughout the wireless community. There are very limited choices for software that provides the type of data that AirMagnet provides.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely take the courses that they offer. I acquired the AirMagnet 30 and 40 certificates for running AirMagnet Survey Pro and the Spectrum Analyzer. It is pretty much the same learning base.

Teaching people how to use the tool is pretty straightforward if you just explain it to them. You need to teach about data merging or merging certain paths together.

Product Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Enables wireless network deployment. Provides wireless coverage maps and spectrum data integration.

What is most valuable?

• Planning module: I use it for wireless network deployment during construction stages.
  • Survey module: Provides a wireless coverage map and spectrum data integration. This is useful for checking wireless coverage and performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using this product, we did wireless project designs using a rough estimate of how the wireless networks will appear. Very often, the final quantity was not the same as it was planned on paper.

With AirMagnet Survey, we can make a floor plan import. We can use AutoCAD floor plans which include the walls, doors, windows, and materials designed by engineers. The survey can apply these characteristics by itself, which decreases the time necessary to prepare floor plans.

The solution automatically calculates the required number of access points, which is very close to the final quantity actually needed.

After deploying the access points, we make a coverage map report for customers. The report includes the data about interference, physical data rates, noise level, signal noise ratio coverage, user capacity, and throughput.

The tool helps us to fully support 802.11 a/b/n/g/ac standards.

What needs improvement?

AirMagnet Survey very useful for designing and deploying wireless 802.11n/a/b/g/ac projects, in any companies from small offices to large campus buildings.

We have used this solution for about five years.

No, it is very simply deploying.

Yes, normally it happens with any product of different vendors. We have had a problem with reporting module, it can't put the full size picture of floor plan in report. After we initiated several support cases these problems was solved with new release.

A year ago, there was a problem with huge floor plan pictures which were causing the software to hang during reporting. It was solved with the release update.

Special for existing customers they have an AirMagnet Account, where you can see all yours registered products and any documents for it.
Also if there is a new release, you can download it from there. As for me there is all nesessary and usefull information.

Technical support it is one of important things that customers appreciate. NETSCOUT has very qualified engineers who help very fast with every question.

We used Ekahau Site Survey. It is also a good quality product, but they are still growing and have a lot of bugs. These guys try to do their best and it looks like they are professional.

We chose AirMagnet Survey because it was recommended by Cisco. We like the functionality of it. Of course, the main reason was the localization of reports into Russian, which we need in our country.

AirMagnet is a very stable and time-tested product. It proves that the world's leading IT companies use AirMagnet Survey. When we look at the release notes, we can see a lot of new features instead of bug fixes, as is the case with Ekahau Site Survey.

Installation is very simple. You just need to register the software key on an AirMagnet web account, then download and install the software on your PC. This is all done by just clicking the "Next" button.

The price is not so high compared with other products with the same quality level. My recommendation is for customers to periodically renew your support contract. Some software releases contain new and interesting features that you can only download if you have an active support contract.

Because this product now belongs to NETSCOUT, I'm sure they will develop more interesting and useful features.

Before purchasing this solution, we evaluated the software of each AirMagnet product: AirMagnet Survey PRO, AirMagnet WiFi Analyzer, and AirMagnet Spectrum XT.

We compared it with Ekahau Site Survey, as it is only quality product with the same functionality. However, our purchasing decision was AirMagnet Survey.

What other advice do I have?

Before purchasing the solution, request an evaluation license to test it. Think carefully and then chose a product which is stable, useful, and very famous in the IT industry.

it_user539502
Wireless Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides a more accurate representation of attenuation than Cisco Prime.

What is most valuable?

• The planner
  • Latest data on AP and antenna propagation
  • More accurate representation of attenuation than Cisco Prime

How has it helped my organization?

AirMagnet is one of two survey software tools that are recognized by the industry. We often are requested to use AirMagnet for surveys.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with other adapters and drivers for Windows 10, and the licensing methods need improvement.

I have been using AirMagnet for four to five years.

Often, AirMagnet will crash and you will have to reboot your laptop or tablet to start it again. Data will be lost if you haven’t saved it.

Large sites are often an issue. It requires a lot of CPU and RAM.

Technical support is very good. We have Gold support.

We didn’t have any previous solutions.

Setup was very easy; a straightforward installation and almost fully automated.

Make sure you don’t go over one year without licensing. Otherwise, you will have to buy the full product. It’s a lot cheaper to keep it licensed.

We looked at Ekahau. We found it user friendly but it feels too simple. Heat maps aren’t granular. It’s great for the customer though, from non-technical point of view.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely do the training and study CWNA or CCNP Wireless.

it_user561648
Network Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The Spectrum Expert is useful in troubleshooting and day-to-day operations of wireless engineering.

What is most valuable?

The Spectrum Expert is very useful in troubleshooting, and just day-to-day operations of wireless engineering.

How has it helped my organization?

It just makes the whole process of doing wireless network surveys way smoother, and way faster. It does the same for any kind of wireless network troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

I would just like to see integration of more wireless cards to have a broader group of cards you could use, instead of just a couple of specific ones.

I would like some more documentation, or training materials. I know I don't use the software to it's full capability. A lot of it's just because I don't know it's full capability. It's probably out there and I just haven't found it, or looked for it hard enough, either.

I have used this for four years.

I don't believe we have had any stability issues with the software itself. I have had some issues, but I believe it was related to the actual laptop that the software was running on. I don't believe it was the software or AirMagnet product issue.

I haven't seen any problems in the uses I have used it for, but I haven't really done any large-scale testing with it. Most of the stuff I do is fairly small-scale stuff.

I have had to call support a few times over some minor issues, and I never had any problems. I would rate them 5/5.

This is the first and only solution I have used.

Setup was pretty straightforward. When I started using it, it was already set up. I just got a rundown from somebody else that was familiar with it. It seemed pretty straightforward.

I did not evaluate any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product and has good support. There is a lot of positive feedback from the wireless community, or networking community, so it's a trusted brand.

it_user599016
System Engineer Wlan at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It helps us see the wireless coverage plan, the signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and so on. I would like it to do more automatic planning.

What is most valuable?

We do site surveys, so we use the Spectrum Analyzer and we use the Site Survey PRO to get a good feel of the signal strength in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives a good view of the signal strength. There are other tools in the market as well, but we work with this one. I'm not sure why we choose this one, but it helps us to give a good feel of the network, the wireless coverage plan, the signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and so on.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be able to automatically calculate the best way to place the access points; more like hybrid manual planning. I'm not sure if the product has that already, but we are not using it, at least.

Other products in this area do more automatic planning. You just give it the wall measurements and the area, and then it plans how many access points you need and where to place them. So, instead of going to the site, you fill in, per wall, the value of the loss. The program will calculate automatically the best place for the access point.

Then, you can check that with the Site Survey, whether it's a good measurement or not.

I have been working for this company the last half year now, so I’ve worked with this tool at least a half a year.

We have not had stability issues. The tool works great. Most of the time, it does what we want.

We have not had scalability issues.

So far, we haven’t needed technical support for this product.

We did not switch. At my previous company, I used another tool. Our company did not switch. We are still using this tool on a daily basis.

Initial setup was not complex.

I cannot provide any advice about pricing and licensing, since I'm just an assistant manager. I'm not involved in licensing and pricing. We do the AirMagnet training internally. All new employees get a demo from the other co-workers.

This product was chosen before I started working here.

What other advice do I have?

If they want a good feel of the network, it has all the tools and information you need to know for problems with coverage and signal strength. It gives a great view of the network that you have in your wireless environment.

it_user598989
Project Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
The whole program itself benefits me. The software itself works well.

What is most valuable?

The whole program itself benefits me. We use all of it when we're doing our surveys. The surveys, just the software in general, all of it works great. We've done hundreds of these surveys and with very few issues and problems.

How has it helped my organization?

The software is pretty much the same as it was three years ago. I wouldn't say there has really been anything that we've added to the software that's any different than when we first started.

What needs improvement?

Better integration of the Spectrum XT. Instead of just having the basic information of your spectrum analysis alongside Pro, I'd like to see the full report, and actually be able to highlight over where I walked and what I saw at that point in the walk. I'd like to be able to arrow over a certain area and say, "okay, this is what was going on in that area as far as Spectrum XT."

Also, another good thing would be to have a notes page that as you're doing your survey, you can take notes and say, "in this area I noticed that there was glass features", or to be able to notate in certain areas as you walk around.

We've been using it for about three years now.

It does crash once in a while, but it just seemed like it was maybe the computer we were using wasn't processing fast enough. We did some things with the computer, and it ended up being okay where it wasn't really crashing it anymore. I don't know if the software that was doing it. Maybe it was more our PC.

We did have scalability issues. We were running tons of these reports and they would all back up and build up in our computer. We ended up moving it to a new computer because it just couldn't handle that amount of information. Once we did, it seemed like it worked fine. Now we archive a lot of the data off the computer and keep it off the computer. It seems to run pretty good.

It's been a long time since we've called techncial support, but I do remember it being a good experience and them handling what we needed. I would say it's probably an 4/5.

We didn’t use anything previously. We started off with AirMagnet. It was required by our customers that we had to use Fluke AirMagnet. It was like a specification. That's why we started with AirMagnet and we're still using it today.

Setup was pretty straightforward, but it does take a fair amount of time to understand everything that you're doing. That's the only thing I can say. There's a lot of great features in there, but unless you play around with it for quite some time, you're not going to know what those features are. As far as a basic survey goes, you can be up and running and doing one of those in a day, but to really give the customer a real good insight onto either design or maybe some issues with the current install, you have to know where to find that information in the software and provide that for them.

It's all there, but it does take a little bit of time. As you go through multiple projects, you start to learn where those features are.

It was a very specific requirement from our customers. We didn’t look at anything else. That's why we got that software. It was because a customer had asked us to do several of their sites, but the idea was that it would have to be done by Survey Pro and Spectrum XT.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, it almost seems like you can get by without having to purchase the software and have somebody run the scan. In a lot of cases, you can just download the stuff off of Cisco's website and use theirs. You're pretty much going to get the same results. I guess my advice is don't spend too much money. You don't need it as much as you used to. Customers don't even require that we even do these walks anymore. What they've done is through the years, they've realized that they can almost have their own IT guys do it and run just any old brand software off the web for free or for really, really inexpensive, and they can get the same results.

it_user599019
Senior Network Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us hard evidence on how to determine where we need to place wireless access coverage.

What is most valuable?

We use the AirMagnet Survey tool to predetermine where we need to place wireless access points in our buildings and within construction areas.

It's been about three months since we've used it, and we just purchased an OptiView XG tablet from NetScout that has that installed on it. It's very pricey, but my boss gave me the money to buy one, so I was happy about that. It cost us about $36,000, but we were able to afford it, so life is good. But we have not used that tablet yet. We're still using an older version on our laptops, so we haven't made the switch internally. We're hoping to do that in the new year.

How has it helped my organization?

The product takes away the guessing. It gives us hard evidence on how to engineer and determine where we need to place wireless access coverage or points for optimal coverage. We use the tool to help us engineer our wireless network.

What needs improvement?

It's been working for us, so I'm good. It does everything we ask it to do.

We've been using it for about five years.

Occasionally, it crashes or locks up. Every now and then, it just stops working and we reboot the system and then go again. It hasn't happened enough that we've opened a ticket on it.

We have not used technical support. We just reboot our system and move on. I'd be more concerned if it happened frequently.

We have never used a different solution.

It was straightforward and easy. The training piece is an ongoing issue, in that the software does have a lot of functions. Getting comfortable with all those functions has been time consuming. We only uswe the software maybe four or five times a year, so we just chalk it up to not using the software enough.

We evaluated Ekahau.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that as far as implementing, get a demo, run it, and make sure it will work in your environment. Then, if you're comparing it with another product, do your homework and run your tests. But, we found for our needs, the AirMagnet Survey tool was the best product.

it_user591867
Senior Network Engineer at a university with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to verify coverage areas and signal strength levels within campus buildings.

What is most valuable?

The passive survey tool is what we use the most. We use it to:

• Conduct wireless surveys of our wireless deployment.
  • Verify or adjust wireless coverage within our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The survey tool helps our department verify coverage areas and signal strength levels within campus buildings that have wireless network access available.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a clearer representation of different power readings/levels when the survey tool renders heat maps.

We have been using this solution for three years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support was excellent. They are always very helpful.

The tool has a slight learning curve. AirMagnet has “how-to” videos that quickly teach you how to use the tool like a master.

It’s worth the investment. The survey tool pays for itself.

What other advice do I have?

Try out the tool. You will find out quickly that the AirMagnet survey tool is the most versatile tool out there.

David Scallion
Senior Manager of Network at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
Ability to click and walk a straight route to the end without multiple clicks is valuable

What is most valuable?

• Ability to delete and redo sections in the middle of a survey.
  • Ability to click and walk a straight route to the end without multiple clicks.
  • AM Survey can be programmed to automatically collect information at specified intervals, so rather than having to walk, stop, click, walk, stop, click; you walk a steady speed in a straight line and click once at the end of the line, and Survey evenly spaces information for that entire path. Now say you finished half of a survey area and you accidentally click across the building, I can take that path of information out, go back to the start of that one line or row and do it again. Some products would force you to resurvey the entire area.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows me to easily verify WiFi signal strength and faults associated with the constant changing warehouse environments.

What needs improvement?

If anything, the rendering speed when doing or looking at large surveys could be faster, but I understand that sheer volume of information is the issue. So with a faster Laptop processor, more memory will help that. I use AirMagnet for very large high density warehouse installs and maintenance. One million plus square feet with multiple floors and/or open mezzanines. While you can do these in multiple sections where rendering isn't an issue, sometimes you want to see the big picture all in one place. It's these large, high density areas that can be slow at rendering information. A high-end laptop with lots of memory improved this greatly. I don't believe this is a big problem for most organizations, but my environments were taking 10+ minutes to render. After upgrading to a new laptop with 16G of memory, rendering was down to one to two minutes.

Nine years

Excellent.

Excellent.

Yes, NetStumbler, Ekahau, and hand drawn survey with a laptop.

Setup is straightforward. Overall setup can be straightforward or complex depending on the users knowledge of WiFi. Under educated users can setup, use, and get good information, but setup can get very complex for advanced engineers to troubleshoot advanced issues.

In-house.

I think a basic version with no access to advanced setting at a low cost would generate more interest from small companies.

What other advice do I have?

Know how to create or obtain scaled diagrams.

it_user531645
Network Engineer / Project Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Has the capability to perform roaming among APs in many different ways.

What is most valuable?

WiFi planning, RF measurements and roaming capability.

The feature of AirMagnet to build predictions is awesome, we can simulate the APs placement without the need to go to the installation place. The many ways to measure the RF environment with AirMagnet are great. The software has the capability to perform roaming among APs in many different ways, not all survey software do that.

How has it helped my organization?

Now we can attend the expectations of our clients, about indoor and outdoor site surveys.

What needs improvement?

• Interface layout - I think for a better user experience, the software GUI layout could be more elaborate, just for simplicity.
  • PDF file support - the current software version doesn’t support PDF files, and PDF is a very common format to ignore it.

3 years.

Yes, sometimes the radios disappear, and then show up again.

Some WiFi devices vendors are not present.

Good technical support.

Yes, a simple free WiFi tool. We switched for the tech support and richer features.

Easy, they have plenty of documentation.

The pricing and licensing are expensive, but for us, it was fair.

Yes, the Ekahau solution, but it is more expensive, and in our point of view delivers the same functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product.

it_user545730
Project Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
I use it mostly for predictive surveys and for validations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that I use it mostly for doing predictive surveys and for validations, when I go back out and test whatever install has been done. Its capabilities to do measuring and with the use of the spectrum analyzer to be able to give me the spectrum analysis right away is very helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide our customers with a report based on analysis, whether it's something after an install that we've done or going in and they need a report of where they stand now and possibly improving. We get with them and do an analysis and try to create a report from that.

What needs improvement?

The features I would like to see is better capability of importing floor plans into the design. With other software that I've used, I'm able to take a CAD drawing or even a PDF and just upload it right away without converting the file. I think it converts the file for me. Especially with a CAD drawing, if the measurements are already in there, it accepts them and, if you want it to, it can also go ahead and create walls and windows based on the drawing, how it was drawn and how it was designed. That would be a nice feature.

I haven't been able to decide whether it is stable. I've had issues every now and again, but I cannot 100 percent say it was the fault of the software or the fault of my laptop. There have been times where, in the middle of doing a survey, it will all of a sudden decide it doesn't see a certain type of card. I have to either reboot the program or reboot the whole laptop. That does the trick and then it starts working fine.

It is one of those solutions that I think my organization is going to use moving forward. It continues to grow with us.

I haven't needed to call in for support yet.

I used it before it was purchased by NetScout. The only one thing that did change is, when I am designing and I'm trying to create a report, I'll click on the screen of the heat map to try and do a copy of that screen so I can put it in my report. It throws a thumbtack on the screen and tries to take a measurement in that specific area. I've always got to disable that before I click on it. It's not a big deal, but it's something that I never had to do before NetScout. It was already disabled, whereas now it's fully enabled.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent software solution . I would recommend, if you're getting AirMagnet, to also get the Spectrum. Get the Pro and get Spectrum Analyzer with it, because I think that's very useful when it comes to troubleshooting. That's where you get the most valuable information from. As far as using the software, it's going to give you true results and be very accurate.

There's other software out there that does the thing that AirMagnet does, but that also has the ability to import CAD drawings, accept the measurements and so on, which I like.

it_user528888
Consultant - Secure Mobility with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
The SNR and RSSI information to optimize access point placement is valuable. Strict licensing model based on the hardware MAC address of the capture adapter.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to conduct pre-implementation surveys for floors using the production access points to see where potential dead spots were going to be. No matter how accurate the results and my reporting, there were still quite a few challenges with translating this to building contractors and electricians that did not see the benefit of accurate access point placement.

What is most valuable?

The software itself is pretty basic actually. There is a lot of detailed information that is provided; however, I would state the most valuable information would be the SNR and RSSI information received to optimize access point placement.

What needs improvement?

Even though I was using an approved USB wireless adapter (Proxim Orinoco), I had many problems with getting the software to talk to the adapter and successfully start capturing data.

The “support” for OS X through Bootcamp or some other virtualization software is almost false advertising. I understand why the product does not work with OS X natively, but stating that it does work by using virtualization software and installing Windows should probably be avoided.

The licensing model is very strict and based on the hardware MAC address of the capture adapter (which is why I purchased the Proxim USB). While I understand the need for software security, in order to change the MAC address to a different adapter, a service ticket needed to be entered with Fluke Networks to have a support engineer make the necessary changes for me. On two out of three occasions where this happened with my organization, the response time was unacceptable and caused a significant loss of productivity. I do not know how this model now works with Netscout, however.

The product would frequently crash and this was on different laptop platforms. It was even advised due to frequent crashing that surveys should last between 5 and 10 minutes and that multiple surveys should be merged together to form a complete picture of a survey area. It would be great if there was a switchable “feature” to perform this action for me, so I wouldn’t have to remember to stop a survey before the program crashed.

The program did seem to work well with multiple floors as well as multiple surveys within a particular floor. The most complex survey was a HQ building that was comprised of 54 floors and I had all of them added to one survey file (for vertical stacking and wireless “bleeding”).

Other than having technical support change out the adapter MAC address on the license for me, I did not have much experience with technical support. There was one ticket initially that only confirmed what the software told me upon startup that the USB endpoint protection software that my company used would have to be removed to allow the program to identify the adapter correctly and start.

AirMagnet Survey PRO was the first survey solution that I used.

Application setup was straightforward. I ran into a lot of discrepancies with our corporate laptop image, so I had to use a bare-bones machine with no other software on it.

I believe pricing is a little high and the company, Fluke, at the time was not willing to work with our organization on a discount, which was disconcerting. We ended up purchasing only 25% of the licenses we originally wanted and sharing the Proxim USB adapters between engineers. I have already mentioned my response issues with the licensing. Note: Both of these issues might have changed since the Netscout acquisition.

Before choosing this product, no other products were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you are not using any custom software on the platform you are installing this onto. Disable all security, whether it be endpoint protection or other. Be patient with the software and find an “order of operations” combination that works for startup and surveying.

it_user528270
Engineer Radio Networks at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
It is possibile to conduct both passive and active surveys at the same time.

What is most valuable?

• The possibility to conduct both passive and active surveys at the same time (+ Spectrum integration)
  • The possibility with Planner to customize the antennas (and use models that are not in the AirMagnet database)

How has it helped my organization?

It’s the essential tool for conducting an audit and identifying interference sources on a wireless network and improve the channel tuning.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to have the possibility to use multiple floors on the same project (and not create a project for each map).

I have used it for two years.

I had some crash issues due to the wireless card driver.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 8/10. I had one call with the support; they solved easily my problem.

Before AirMagnet, I used free tools that didn’t allow be to conduct an active survey.

During initial setup, there were some difficulties recognizing the proxim 8494 using the AirMagnet driver, so the software wouldn’t run (because the licence is tied to it).

No support = no upgrades: Take this into consideration.

Ekahau is a good product, too, and more user-friendly, but AirMagnet is the reference.

What other advice do I have?

Do all your surveys with two wireless cards.

it_user528882
PC Specialist at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to help show our wireless coverage throughout the building. Once we have completed the survey, we move access points or make other necessary changes where it is needed.

What is most valuable?

We have a very disruptive environment for wireless internet. We use Air Magnet Survey Pro to help show our wireless coverage throughout the building. Once we have completed the survey, we move access points or make other necessary changes where it is needed.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had multiple issues with our wireless phone dropping from the network along with our RF gun scanners that are used to scan barcodes. We have used Air Magnet Survey Pro to help see how the access points overlap each other and the overall dbm.

What needs improvement?

When pausing during the middle of a survey, I often have issues when restarting because the survey tool can’t determine exactly where I am in the building when I click on the map. Also, when I get done completing a large survey, it often struggles to try and save all of the information.

I have used it for one year.

Overall, the software has been pretty stable; have not had any issues with the software crashing.

I have not had any scalability issues.

I worked with technical support when I was first learning how to use the software. They were helpful and willing to do some test surveys with me until I got comfortable. Since then, I have not had to contact them until I had to switch my license from one computer to another; overall good support.

I did not previously use a different solution. We priced out a few other solutions, but AirMagnet just seemed like the best solution for us.

Initial setup was a little confusing at first but, as I’ve mentioned, support was there to help me out.

When we were pricing out other solutions, AirMagnet came out with the best pricing. We purchased the one-year support and we are at the time to renew again, which we will be doing.

Before choosing this product, we tested out Ekahau and Fluke.

What other advice do I have?

AirMagnet has a wide variety of products that fit in with the Survey Pro. The planner looks to be a great tool but unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to test it out yet.

it_user519708
IT Admin at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with the spectrum analysis and can run multiple wireless adapters, allowing us to collect more data efficiently.

What is most valuable?

The integration with the spectrum analysis is a real time saver.

Being able to run multiple wireless adapters allows us to collect more data in different, more efficient ways.

Those features are valuable, as is the ability to generate reports out of it pretty quickly.

What needs improvement?

I'd really like to see integration with the cloud, being able to have a central repository for data. If I have multiple engineers working on a project simultaneously, it might be nice to have all of that automatically backed up into one comprehensive centrally managed project file online.

I would definitely like to see more ability to generate custom reports. The reports in there are great but don't always have the flexibility to allow me to bring in my own template and expedite our report writing process even further.

I'd also like to see if there’s a way to incorporate multiple adapters or even more types of wireless; maybe not just 802.11 but maybe an LTE survey or Bluetooth low-energy survey, multiple different wireless platforms. If it was in fact able to support a lot of other Wi-Fi services, that would be a great feature.

I have been using it for six to seven years.

It has not been entirely stable. There have definitely been some bumps in the road. In the past, various releases have had their issues, including the 8.8 release. It definitely had some bugs. That was, as I understand it, a complete re-build of the platform: new dates and structure - moving from a flat file to more of a database file structure for the data. So far, in the latest release, version 9.0, which we've been on for about three and a half weeks, everything's been pretty peachy.

I don't really have another alternative right now that I think is better. Scalability-wise, this is top of the line for the market at the moment.

Overall, the majority of their support engineers are exceptional. Especially when it comes to being able to react or assist us on something that's extremely critical through an ongoing project for us. Any time that we have engineers in the field burning money, AirMagnet, Fluke, now NETSCOUT, have always had engineers that are willing to tackle an issue in real time.

Our company has used AirMagnet exclusively since we launched about three years ago. Professionally, I used other products like Ekahau and Motorola Wireless LANPlanner.

We choose AirMagnet because we all agreed it was the best solution at the time. Then, a lot of our partner organizations required it as a standard, so we could all operate on the same page.

Initial setup is pretty darn straightforward. I've run into some issues with licensing. During an upgrade, it periodically tends to lose its license, which is an extra step you have to go through to re-download and install that license over again.

The more copies you can buy at once, the better deal you're going to get, which goes for just about any product out there.

What other advice do I have?

Find a way to standardize, especially the adapters and the hardware being used. I just find that having consistent results in data is comparative. If you are using this for an organization like ours, where we have multiple engineers all working together, having a standardized hardware platform makes a big difference.

It's as good as it gets, in my opinion right now, and nothing is ever perfect.

Download our free Network Modeling Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetAlly, Ekahau, iBwave, and more!
Quick Links