Akamai Kona Site Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Akamai Kona Site Defender is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. It is most often compared to Akamai Prolexic Routed: Akamai Kona Site Defender vs Akamai Prolexic Routed

What is Akamai Kona Site Defender?
Akamai's Kona Site Defender extends security beyond the data center while maintaining site performance and availability in the face of fast-changing threats. It leverages the power of the Akamai Intelligent Platform to detect, identify and mitigate Denial-of-Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks before they ever reach the origin.

Akamai Kona Site Defender is also known as Kona Site Defender, Kona.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Akamai Kona Site Defender Customers
AvidMobile, itBit
Akamai Kona Site Defender Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Akamai Kona Site Defender pricing:
  • "The price they are offering is quite reasonable for premium customers, but it's very expensive if you're a small and medium-sized enterprises."
  • "There is no license at all for Akamai. They are going to charge us only for the usage."
  • "Akamai is very expensive."

Akamai Kona Site Defender Reviews

NS
Manager- Information security and Data privacy at a leisure / travel company with 51-200 employees
Great technical support, scales extremely well, and is very stable

• "The solution can scale extremely well."
  • "The pricing could be reduced a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an application firewall.

What is most valuable?

If you compare it to other products in the market, it's quite holistic in terms of the features that it provides.

Technical support has been very helpful and responsive.

The solution can scale extremely well.

The product has proven to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

The product really isn't very user-friendly. They could improve it so that it's easier for their customers to navigate and use. From a management perspective, it's difficult. Managing these rules with the product isn't easy. It is not taking into account that this might be used by somebody who doesn't necessarily excel in IT. It should be more accessible to everyday users. For example, report generation should be much simpler to handle. It shouldn't be a complex task.

The pricing could be reduced a bit.

They should provide an image optimizer and have it included within the package due to the fact that ultimately all websites that have high content are looking for this.

I've been using the product for two years at this point. It hasn't been too long.

The stability is excellent. We haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

The solution can scale extremely well. That's not a problem at all. If a company would like to expand the solution, it can do so with relative ease.

Technical support has been great so far. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of assistance we receive from them. I have no complaints.

I'm currently also using AWS products.

The initial setup took us a bit of time to execute. It's got a moderate amount of complexity. It's not hard, however, it's not exactly straightforward either.

The pricing isn't the highest, however, it's not the lowest either. They could adjust it so that it was a bit more affordable. It would be appreciated by the customers.

It's expensive, however, if you compare it to AWS, you'll get different services that you'll have to collaboratively pick in order to get the same solution that Akamai provides to you in one package.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would recommend the solution. It depends on what the organization wants, however. If you're going for cost optimization or whether you are looking for a through and through security feature, it might vary in its acceptability. It depends on what exactly you want and your company's priority. However, overall, it's a good product.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've mostly been quite satisfied with it.

Hybrid Cloud
Imran Abdul Rahman
Solutions Architect, Cloud & Infrastructure at NCS Group
CDN and WAF features are an essential element with APIs a key element of the infrastructure

• "The CDN and the WAF features are the best."
  • "Could integrate more features for each security."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple use cases but the solution is primarily for content delivery network. The product has multiple features so we area also using it as a wall. It's really a combination between a CDN and a WAF. We also use Adidol switches. We are partners with Akamai and I'm a cloud solution architect.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is very open because it's for public cloud and the interface is also very open. It's equal to having things like infrastructure as code to be defined, as well as having the ability to configure additional interfaces that we need for a service.

What is most valuable?

The CDN and the WAF features are the best in this solution.

What needs improvement?

I think there could be an improvement with the integration of more features for each security. Possibly inline IPS and more granularity for configuration.

I'd like to see incremental or integrated security features or maybe even for our transit anti-malware. It goes hand in hand with things like DLP.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution has been very reliable.

As a software it is very scalable. We don't have a problem with scaling the product or scaling the capabilities. This is more of an enterprise construct, so we provide it as a service which means there are not many users, everything is defined as code. For anything that requires a CDN, we'll use this construct and it will scale according to the enterprise.

The technical support is above average and good.

The initial setup was quite simple. It took between two to four weeks because it was quite a large deployment. Our strategy was to first implement a baseline and then to incrementally add any requirements for certain applications. We have a partnership with professional services from Aster Mind, as well as our own service integration services, to perform the setup. We had two staff members involved in deployment and they assist with maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Programmability in the cloud is very important. So whatever we can program by APIs and define by API is very important in the infrastructure.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Other
Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: October 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TI
Head of Cloud Security & DevSecOps at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
A fully managed DDoS solution with good technical support

• "The most valuable feature is the DDoS protection, which is the main reason we got it."
  • "The interface is a little bit clunky and can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily to prevent DDoS attacks.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The interface is a little bit clunky and can be improved. It takes a while to get from here to there.

I have been using Akamai Kona Site Defender for two years.

This solution is stable and we haven't seen any problems at all. It's been a very simple service to use, so far.

Being a cloud-based service, it scales up and down as per your needs.

We have between 10 and 20 users, who are engineers and integrators, and we are satisfied with it.

I have been in touch with technical support and I don't have any complaints. It is a good service.

We did not use another DDoS solution prior to this one.

This solution is fully managed by the vendor so it is smooth sailing. They handle everything including the initial setup. There is no staff required for deployment or maintenance on my end.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is evaluating this solution is to first evaluate your needs, and then check to see how much you need to put into this solution.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Site Defender is that you should do an analysis first, to see how it will fit into your ecosystem. You decide whether to buy it based on that, rather than because it is a good product. You have to make sure that it is compatible with your environment.

Overall, I am happy with Site Defender because what it's doing, it's doing well. I can't think of a single feature that might be missing.

Private Cloud
CF
Senior Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
A highly-scalable defense service with a valuable custom rules feature

• "The most valuable feature is the custom rules feature. This is because many of our customers require a lot of custom rules. Because it's a very customized project for our customers, I think they have the best of everything already."
  • "They are already very flexible, but room for improvement is there. Reports generation could be better and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I provide a service. We manage the Akamai service for our customers. Our customers are predominantly government agencies and medium-sized companies, and banks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the custom rules feature. This is because many of our customers require a lot of custom rules. Because it's a very customized project for our customers, I think they have the best of everything already.

What needs improvement?

They are already very flexible, but room for improvement is there. Reports generation could be better and should be improved.

I have been using Akamai Kona Site Defender for two to three years.

Akamai Kona Site Defender is quite stable.

Akamai Kona Site Defender is scalable. They offer the most scalability in the marketplace, and there's no problem with scalability.

The guys at technical support are very technical, and then they're quite flexible. They are quite helpful to our customers.

Because our customers are big companies, we would do all the initial setup. It's not complicated because we have standards, best practices, and policies. It's not complicated, and we make it simple for our customers.

I prefer Akamai Kona Site Defender to other competing products. We are working with several vendors, and vendors need to be open and accept criticism. Akamai is one of the good ones that accepts criticism, and they are open about it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential customers to make sure that it's a medium or big company. It's not suitable for small companies.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Akamai Kona Site Defender above eight.

Rusdi Budiman
Head of IT Infrastructure at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable security solution with usage-based charges

• "I like that the charges are all based on usage and labor costs. For the time that we spend onboarding almost 252020 FQDN, Akamai charges us only for the traffic usage, but it's only charging us for the labor costs for onboarding."
  • "It would be better if there weren't any issues with latency. We had latency issues, but I think they are all solved now."

What is our primary use case?

We use Akamai Kona Site Defender because we need CDN. We have mobile apps, and we host them internally. Sometimes, we also deploy an IPA file for iPad. I think all the users from our distributor are going to download directly from our server. We use Akamai to distribute all the IPA files to our network provider without any significant latency for our distributor.

What is most valuable?

I like that the charges are all based on usage and labor costs. For the time that we spend onboarding almost 252020 FQDN, Akamai charges us only for the traffic usage, but it's only charging us for the labor costs for onboarding.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if there weren't any issues with latency. We had latency issues, but I think they are all solved now.

Akamai Kona Site Defender has been stable so far.

Because our third-party partner has a good relationship with Akamai, I think they can call the Akamai to join the incident call when an incident is happening. I think they're quite good and responsive for that. There is also a lot of documentation online regarding troubleshooting.

The initial setup is quite easy because we mainly outsource it to another company.

We just ask the third-party provider to implement the solution or engage Akamai and make some changes.

There is no license at all for Akamai. They are going to charge us only for the usage.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to potential users. I think if the FIC has a CDN, it's easier in terms of onboarding. In terms of the commercial part and charging, I think Akamai is more efficient. I think it's important to have a CDN feature inside.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Akamai Kona Site Defender a nine.

YA
Co-Founder and CEO at PT Eugenea Kreasi Utama
Powerful and feature-rich, but the technical support is slow to respond

What is our primary use case?

We use Akamai Kona for our cloud services.

What is most valuable?

The features are powerful and better than F5. I would rate the features a nine out of ten.

What needs improvement?

Support and the pricing need to improve. I would rate this area a six out of ten.

I started using Akamai Kona in 2017. We stopped in 2020 to switch to F5.

Technical support is very slow to respond.

Previously, we were not using any other solution.

Akamai is very expensive. It is more expensive than F5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Akami…

What is our primary use case?

We use Akamai Kona for our cloud services.

What needs improvement?

I started using Akamai Kona in 2017. We stopped in 2020 to switch to F5.

Technical support is very slow to respond.

Previously, we were not using any other solution.

Akamai is very expensive. It is more expensive than F5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Akami Kona Site Defender a seven out of ten.

Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva, and more!