Akamai Kona Site Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Akamai Kona Site Defender is #4 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools and #8 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. IT Central Station users give Akamai Kona Site Defender an average rating of 8 out of 10. Akamai Kona Site Defender is most commonly compared to Akamai Prolexic Routed:Akamai Kona Site Defender vs Akamai Prolexic Routed. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Akamai Kona Site Defender?
Akamai's Kona Site Defender extends security beyond the data center while maintaining site performance and availability in the face of fast-changing threats. It leverages the power of the Akamai Intelligent Platform to detect, identify and mitigate Denial-of-Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attacks before they ever reach the origin.

Akamai Kona Site Defender was previously known as Kona Site Defender, Kona.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Akamai Kona Site Defender Customers
AvidMobile, itBit
Akamai Kona Site Defender Video

Archived Akamai Kona Site Defender Reviews (more than two years old)

Abhay Chrungoo
CTO at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to move faster with new products because we have this layer of protection set up in our infrastructure

• "It enables us to move faster with new products because we have this layer of protection set up in our infrastructure."
  • "The WAF features definitely have a lot of room for improvement. A lot of the WAF is really basic. For some products or some of our solutions, we need to run a second layer of more advanced WAF. If it had better layer seven protection then we would not need a second WAF."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it as DDoS on a basic WAF. We use a hybrid cloud deployment model.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to move faster with new products because we have this layer of protection set up in our infrastructure.

It saves time and gives us a consistent way to export those services.

What is most valuable?

It's a SaaS solution and so it's scalable outside of our infrastructure. That's the most valuable thing for us.

What needs improvement?

We use Akamai because it's good at what it does. There are some other things that we would like it to be good at and it's not that good. Quality of protection is our primary concern.

We need more advanced layer seven protection, SQL injection, applied scripting, and more confidence in the precision of the system. I think all of those things would be very useful for us.

We've been using this solution for about five years.

It's fairly stable. We're happy with the stability of the product.

It's being used fairly extensively, any new internet-facing applications are going through Akamai Kona. Whether we extend the usage really depends on whether it's going to meet some of the quality objectives with web application firewalls.

The initial setup was straightforward. It has an API. We haven't hit any kinks that we couldn't work with it.

What other advice do I have?

As far as DDoS protection is concerned, I'm firmly in the Akamai Kona box.

In terms of consistency, I think people should consider API-based adoption for Kona configuration. That gives us a broader state which looks and feels the same, and a small team can support it rather than needing a large team to support it.

For what it does, it's really good. For what we want it to do, there's room for improvement. I'd give it an eight and a half out of ten. In order for it to be a 10 I would say that it should be one of the market-leading WAF solutions and not just a volumetric solution.

GL
Security Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Keeps our sites up through any size of attack, but some of the dashboards could be better

• "It is scalable for DDoS."
  • "There are some issues with pushing configurations across a network. It still takes about 20 minutes and that means to retract it's another 20 minutes."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for website protection.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of mean time to detect, what we usually see is that it mitigates. It has also improved staff productivity be about 20 percent.

What is most valuable?

• It is scalable for DDoS.
  • Keeps our sites up through any size of attack.
  • It has a good breadth of controls.
  • From a general security platform perspective, it's quite nice. It allows you to have rotating blacklists.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see some non-related reputation categories. If they had some way of detecting activity on their platform, that would be helpful.
  • Web request analytics is hard to do between them and us.
  • There are some issues with pushing configurations across a network. It still takes about 20 minutes and that means to retract it's another 20 minutes.
  • Also, some of their monitoring dashboards that show us what's hitting us, and with which we analyze, have room for improvement.

It has been very stable. We've had no problems with it.

Technical support has been wonderful for us.

Before Akamai we didn't have a solution. With Akamai, we get the speed we need.

I don't have discrete datapoints, but there is an advantage to having this kind of service where we don't have to track things ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your eyes open. There are a lot of solutions out there. You can even see products being deployed in the public cloud, which is nice for scaling up. Keep your eyes on the horizon. There's a lot to look forward to.

For Kona, we use several products, including their Site Acceleration Services. Our security maturity is very different from when we first started using Akamai.

Find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user628032
Senior Security Analyst at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The most valuable features are caching, DDoS protection, and a web application firewall.

What is most valuable?

• Caching
  • DDoS protection
  • Web application firewall

How has it helped my organization?

It provides our customers with offload and protection for their environments.

What needs improvement?

They should allow for multiple security configurations in one account which will enhance the scalability.

For business partners/resellers, there are minor issues that you can encounter when switching between the customer environments.

I have used this solution for around two years.

This product is rock solid. We did not encounter any outages in the two years that I have been using it.

From a managed service perspective, improvements can be made when you have to deal with multiple customers/environments.

Single customer environment: You may need to compromise in some features. For example, when deploying very large environments, that have different technologies underneath. (Ten or more sites.)

Multiple teams: There is only one security configuration that can hold several WAF policies and it can be shared among all sites. Each site can have its own site configuration. It can configure different aspects, as compared to the security configuration.

I would give the technical support a rating of 7/10. It is not consistent and it depends on the level of expertise of the support staff member who is assigned to your case.

The setup depends on the skill level of the 'customer'. If you are familiar with the concept of a load balancer and are familiar with HTTP SSL/TLS and all of their respective implications, then it is straightforward and intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, in this day and age, DDoS protection is a must.

Akamai is a very reliable provider and a very safe bet that will suit most environments' needs.

This product is great, once it is fine-tuned. Be ready to spend some time to get all the noise filtered out each time you launch a new application on the platform.

Make sure you know how your applications behave. Have a solid grasp on HTTP(S)-related concepts and technologies.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are business partners/resellers/managed service offerings
Infrastructure Manager at a tech vendor
The Site Defender service helps prepare, respond, and optimize against modern-day web attacks, but the combination of cloud security solutions could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Cloud security solutions

Improvements to My Organization:

Site Defender service helps prepare, respond, and optimize against modern-day web attacks.

Room for Improvement:

Cloud security solutions combination

Valuable Features:

Cloud security solutions

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Cloud security solutions combination

IT Systems & Operations Manager at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a solution that's a less expensive alternative to other CDN and DDOS providers.

Valuable Features

It's a very good solution. It's a clear cheaper alternative to others expensive CDN and DDOS solutions. Many sites are working with Akamai now.

Use of Solution

I've been working with them for 10 months.

Customer Service: Excellent and quick support. Technical Support: Excellent and quick support.

Valuable Features

It's a very good solution.

It's a clear cheaper alternative to others expensive CDN and DDOS solutions.

Many sites are working with Akamai now.

Use of Solution

I've been working with them for 10 months.

Excellent and quick support.

Excellent and quick support.

Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Akamai, Amazon, Imperva, and more!