Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Overview

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches?

The Alcatel Lucent ethernet switches are fully managed and run on the widely deployed & field-proven Alcatel-Lucent operating system offering high security, reliability, performance and easy management. These switches are designed to operate in extended temperatures, offer higher EMI/EMC tolerance and surge protection.

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches is also known as Alcatel Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches, Alcatel-Lucent Ethernet Switches, OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches.

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Customers

Bayonette, California State University (CSU), Centre Hospitalier Carcassonne, Centro Universitšrio de Brasilia (UniCEUB), China Tianchen Engineering Corporation Co. LTD, Citta Della Speranza, City of Frankfurt, City of Ogden, City of Vila Franca de Xira

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "The pricing is reasonable compared to Aruba and HPE."

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Reviews

James Ashby
Assistant Traffic Engineer at City of Modesto
Aug 27, 2020
Management of the edge solution is very user-friendly, and with with all the ports being used the switches worked fine

What is our primary use case?

We used them for our traffic signal network. We used the switches to communicate our traffic signal data and any type of data from the controllers through fibre and twisted-pair copper to backhaul to the traffic management center at City Hall. We are able to change signal timing, see if the traffic signals were going into flash, etc. We have communications from City Hall out to each of our traffic signal cabinets.

• "The fibre ports that are 10 Gb capacity helped with the travel of a lot of regular as well as video data. Fibre can handle a lot more virtual data than copper twisted-pair, so we got a lot more data and a lot more traffic signals back through the fibre ports, faster, than with copper."
  • "I could see them possibly creating a more intuitive software. It's very user-friendly, but there are some things that aren't very intuitive when programming the switches."

What other advice do I have?

I know these switches have redundancy software capabilities, but we only tested three switches, so we didn't really have the amount it takes to test redundancy and resiliency at a larger scale. We didn't quite have enough to test that to its full extent. Overall, everything worked as they said it would. Based on our experience, Alcatel-Lucent was a very good company, friendly and easy to work with. They had a good product that was able to meet all our needs.
AnjumShahzad
Group IT Networks Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Dec 16, 2019
Dependable switch solution that is as good as the best-known products

What is our primary use case?

Alcatel is a good switching solution. I have not had any serious issues with the product in the last 10 years. I'm the direct contact of the administration so I would know. I don't remember if one or two times there was some little complication. But the issue is not actually from the switch side. The actual problem was in our fiber switch. So there were some very minor issues but nothing like a failure. As far as the rest of our infrastructure, we use no particular VPN device because now we have a separate firewall device. So we have configured the VPN in the firewall devices directly and for… more »

• "This is a dependable switch which will help you sleep at night."
  • "The product would be better if it were completely compatible with other switching products."

What other advice do I have?

As someone with long-term experience with the product, I can say that you can trust the Alcatel switches. Earlier, before moving to this company, I did not work with Alcatel switches. When I came here and found out that we have Alcatel Switches, it seemed a little strange to me that I wasn't going to be using Cisco switches. I continued for some time a bit worried thinking that we would have some issues. But now, after 10 years, I can say I have complete trust in this product. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine out of ten…
Learn what your peers think about Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1276035
System and Application Manager at a political organization with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 5, 2020
Very good web and command-line interface and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our intra-site network. It's like a ring between our group sites. We also use the solution for the access switches, to provide links to PCs and printers on the client-side.

• "The solution has a very good web interface. It makes it easy to manage everything."
  • "There needs to be better integration with the interface."

What other advice do I have?

The current version of the solution we're using right now is 6500 for the OS. I'd recommend the solution to other companies. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Kannan Venkatraman
Team Leader at Dyarco Technology W.L.L
Apr 22, 2020
Feature-rich and customizable with excellent technical support and a lifetime warranty

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we implement this solution for our customers. Our customers are in the hospital and hotel industries, as well as schools. This makes up part of the network solution.

• "We are able to customize this solution based on the customer's requirements."
  • "In future versions, I would like to see improvements in networking speed."

What other advice do I have?

All of the features in these switches are good. In most cases, everything that our customers need is already inbuilt. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
MuhammadUmer
Senior Engineer at Impact Business Center
May 17, 2020
Enables direct access to clusters via WAPs

What is our primary use case?

We currently have approximately 200 users within our company. There are four or five people dealing with maintenance and we have seven guys in data managing and networking inside the office but working on separate projects. We are partners of Alcatel-Lucent and I work as a senior network engineer.

• "Enables direct access to clusters."
  • "technical support response time is sometimes very slow."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.