Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches is #14 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. IT Central Station users give Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8 out of 10. Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches:Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches?

The Alcatel Lucent ethernet switches are fully managed and run on the widely deployed & field-proven Alcatel-Lucent operating system offering high security, reliability, performance and easy management. These switches are designed to operate in extended temperatures, offer higher EMI/EMC tolerance and surge protection.

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches is also known as Alcatel Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches, Alcatel-Lucent Ethernet Switches, OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches.

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Customers

Bayonette, California State University (CSU), Centre Hospitalier Carcassonne, Centro Universitšrio de Brasilia (UniCEUB), China Tianchen Engineering Corporation Co. LTD, Citta Della Speranza, City of Frankfurt, City of Ogden, City of Vila Franca de Xira

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "The pricing is reasonable compared to Aruba and HPE."

Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Reviews

James Ashby
Assistant Traffic Engineer at City of Modesto
Management of the edge solution is very user-friendly, and with with all the ports being used the switches worked fine

• "The fibre ports that are 10 Gb capacity helped with the travel of a lot of regular as well as video data. Fibre can handle a lot more virtual data than copper twisted-pair, so we got a lot more data and a lot more traffic signals back through the fibre ports, faster, than with copper."
  • "I could see them possibly creating a more intuitive software. It's very user-friendly, but there are some things that aren't very intuitive when programming the switches."

What is our primary use case?

We used them for our traffic signal network. We used the switches to communicate our traffic signal data and any type of data from the controllers through fibre and twisted-pair copper to backhaul to the traffic management center at City Hall. We are able to change signal timing, see if the traffic signals were going into flash, etc. We have communications from City Hall out to each of our traffic signal cabinets.

How has it helped my organization?

They improved our communications through our traffic signal network. We were able to plug a couple of traffic signals into these switches, traffic signals that we did not have on our network, and get them on our network so we could have communication.

The switches also gave us more ways to keep networks connected than we had before. There was an increase because we were able to use the fibre ports instead of using the copper ports, so that helped give us more options. The ways to keep connected went up by about 60 percent.

We also used them for IoT and the switches were excellent. They did exactly what we needed them to do and did exactly what they said they could do. We did not test them to their full potential but I don't see any reason why they would not reach that potential. This IoT aspect improved customer service. The public will call in an issue with traffic signals and I was able to go in there and look at that traffic signal through City Hall, instead of having to drive out and physically look for an issue. I was able to deduce an issue from City Hall instead of going out into the field. That narrowed down the time it took to find the issue and fix the issue.

What is most valuable?

The fibre ports that are 10 Gb capacity helped with the travel of a lot of regular as well as video data. Fibre can handle a lot more virtual data than copper twisted-pair, so we got a lot more data and a lot more traffic signals back through the fibre ports, faster, than with copper.

The switch provides an edge solution for campus networks running many devices and the management of this edge solution is very user-friendly. The edge solution is great for high availability. With the edge solution, each traffic signal has several items that need to be plugged into the traffic signal switch that we're testing, and with all the ports being used, the switches worked fine. We also didn't have any security issues with the edge solution; that part was great.

The speeds the switch provides are excellent. I don't know the exact speeds, but they were fast enough for internet communications through the switches when sending data and receiving data.

What needs improvement?

I could see them possibly creating a more intuitive software. It's very user-friendly, but there are some things that aren't very intuitive when programming the switches. We happen to have an IT programmer, the IT part of the City of Modesto was able to help us out, but if another company didn't have IT in their company, it might be a little harder for someone.

We used Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches for about six months.

They're very stable and rugged switches.

It was extremely easy to add the ones that we did and I could see it being easier to add more.

The customer service was exceptional. They were always quick to answer emails or phone calls and were able to deduce any issues we had, over the phone. They were very knowledgeable.

The initial setup of the switches was straightforward. All three switches could be configured the same way, just with different IP addresses. But all the ports were configured the same. It was pretty simple in that regard.

We moved from another solution, and our admins required training for this solution. Alcatel-Lucent's customer service employees came to us and did training and helped us configure the switches, in person.

Including the training, our deployment took one day. Our implementation strategy was to get them configured, put them in the field, and make sure everything was connected properly. There were four users in our organization: the traffic operations engineer for the city, me, as an assistant traffic engineer, and two traffic signal technicians. For deployment we needed one person and we didn't have any maintenance to do.

We had about six different companies that we were testing, including Moxa, Cisco, RUGGEDCOM, and EtherWAN switches.

We tested them in traffic signal cabinets. They were not directly exposed to the weather, but they did get hot and cold. The OmniSwitches were very ruggedized and never had any issues with the heat, especially given that we get triple-digit temperatures here in the Central Valley of California.

Alcatel-Lucent had one of the better customer service departments, in terms of responding in a timely manner and quickly getting done the things we needed done. Their switches were pretty comparable to the rest of the products when it comes to functionality, size, and capabilities. They were all pretty similar, but Alcatel-Lucent's customer service stood out and their software was one of the better, user-friendly solutions, for people who are not used to doing internet technology based work.

Currently we do not have any OmniSwitches in use. The city decided to use a different software and brand of switch. We did use them for six months. Our internal city system is already Cisco, so the IT director and the public works director decided to keep the city system with one company.

What other advice do I have?

I know these switches have redundancy software capabilities, but we only tested three switches, so we didn't really have the amount it takes to test redundancy and resiliency at a larger scale. We didn't quite have enough to test that to its full extent.

Overall, everything worked as they said it would. Based on our experience, Alcatel-Lucent was a very good company, friendly and easy to work with. They had a good product that was able to meet all our needs.

AnjumShahzad
Group IT Networks Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Dependable switch solution that is as good as the best-known products

• "This is a dependable switch which will help you sleep at night."
  • "The product would be better if it were completely compatible with other switching products."

What is our primary use case?

Alcatel is a good switching solution. I have not had any serious issues with the product in the last 10 years. I'm the direct contact of the administration so I would know. I don't remember if one or two times there was some little complication. But the issue is not actually from the switch side. The actual problem was in our fiber switch. So there were some very minor issues but nothing like a failure.

As far as the rest of our infrastructure, we use no particular VPN device because now we have a separate firewall device. So we have configured the VPN in the firewall devices directly and for the storage, we are using HP solutions.

What is most valuable?

We are not using many of the extended features of the product because our network here in this company is a very standard network. We are using optical fiber connectivity in all our departments, so the aggregation is good. The VLAN feature is very good and easy to manage. We have multiple VLAN and because the Alcatel product is easy to use, it is easy to manage and configure them through the switches.

What needs improvement?

The question of what should be improved is difficult because it can become very technical. From my perspective, I think that the switches should be compatible with all the other switches like Cisco and IBM or any other brands. Sometimes I feel that the Alcatel switches are not working harmoniously with some of the Cisco Switches.

I mostly have experience with Cisco which is supposed to be one of the best solutions. I had a lot of confidence in that product because I worked with the product and knew the reputation. I didn't listen to anyone in other companies that were using the Alcatel or other solutions. When I switched companies and found everything was Alcatel, I was afraid at that time that the product would not be so dependable. Now I am very confident from my experience with both products that these Alcatel switches are on par with Cisco.

Sometimes there are long vacations in Saudi Arabia of 10 days or 15 days in the government. So we are not in the offices for long periods of time. But over those periods we can keep our eyes closed and be confident while we are sleeping at night because we can have confidence in the infrastructure we have built. We never have any issues in our infrastructure.

Our company has been using Alcatel brand switches for about 12 years.

This product is very stable.

This is a very scalable solution. In my experience, it is exactly 100% scalable. For example, I have some older Alcatel switches and I was shocked last time when I purchased the latest model. When I went to the features, it was very convenient and familiar. Then when I finished the install and configured everything, I couldn't tell the difference between the new and older models because they look very much the same. There were no bugs or issues between the new and the old. So this is a very good upgrade indeed and the software is not changed very much in the newer models so that it is incompatible with older models. They are almost the same interface and the same configuration. So it's very convenient and easy for us to be in administration and management when products have this kind of consistency. We are not forced into big expenditures replacing old hardware for every upgrade somewhere else in the infrastructure.

The total number of users is more than 255 persons for those users on our system. I don't think that scaling that number of users will affect the switches.

The technical support for the product is excellent. There are no issues with that. For the last 10 years that I have been here working on this infrastructure and I have not found any issue with the technical support if I contacted them. But I also remember only two or maybe three times I contacted the technical support for some information. It is very good and they are responsive. There is no issue at all.

Actually, we are using multiple brands of switches from different vendors. It is all Cisco and Alcatel switches, but primarily Alcatel at this point. Some are the newest versions but not all and we maintain the older products. At another company, I used Cisco only because they preferred the Cisco product. So I have worked on Cisco for a longer period of time, but for 10 years I have been using both the Alcatel and Cisco switches.

The reason for switching to Alcatel comes down to I was simply changing jobs and that was what they used.

Normally the setup is very easy and not complicated. I regretfully don't know how long it took to deploy originally because this has happened before I joined this company.

What other advice do I have?

As someone with long-term experience with the product, I can say that you can trust the Alcatel switches. Earlier, before moving to this company, I did not work with Alcatel switches. When I came here and found out that we have Alcatel Switches, it seemed a little strange to me that I wasn't going to be using Cisco switches. I continued for some time a bit worried thinking that we would have some issues. But now, after 10 years, I can say I have complete trust in this product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine out of ten. The only reason it is not a ten is the compatibility issue where the Alcatel switches should be more compatible with other brands and not just amongst their own products. I don't think it is a serious issue as we use the Cisco and Alcatel together now. I just think this compatibility and flexibility could be better.

Learn what your peers think about Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
System and Application Manager at a political organization with 501-1,000 employees
Very good web and command-line interface and very stable

• "The solution has a very good web interface. It makes it easy to manage everything."
  • "There needs to be better integration with the interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our intra-site network. It's like a ring between our group sites.

We also use the solution for the access switches, to provide links to PCs and printers on the client-side.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very good web interface. It makes it easy to manage everything.

The command-line interface is very powerful.

We can do most of what we need to do within the web interface. It allows us to view or to configure certain changes.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the solution offered an integration interface, like OmniVista, to support and to manage everything. Right now, but we don't have that.

It would be ideal if we were able to review the status of the solution.

There needs to be better integration with the interface.

The solution needs to offer a better power overview and power options on the switches. That way, we can manage more of the power supply safely.

I've been using the solution for two years now.

The solution is very stable. We have not experienced any glitches or bugs. No problems have occurred that affected the stability of the product.

There are different types of switches. They have small and large sizes, and also switches for fiber optic connections. We're satisfied with the level of scalability the solution offers.

We have about 1,000 users on the solution. We work in shifts, however, so not all users would be on the solution all at once.

I've never been in touch with technical support, so I can't speak of any direct experience with them.

The company used to use Extreme switches, but it was before I came onto the team, so I don't know the reason behind why they switched.

We have a simple network, so the initial setup was straightforward. We didn't handle the deployment ourselves, however.

In a few weeks, we were switching from our old switches to the new ones. Deployment times really depend on the availability and working hours and that's all. In our case, it could have been done faster, but we had constraints.

We had someone handle the initial setup for us.

I don't believe the company evaluated other products before choosing their current solution.

What other advice do I have?

The current version of the solution we're using right now is 6500 for the OS.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Kannan Venkatraman
Team Leader at Dyarco Technology W.L.L
Feature-rich and customizable with excellent technical support and a lifetime warranty

• "We are able to customize this solution based on the customer's requirements."
  • "In future versions, I would like to see improvements in networking speed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we implement this solution for our customers.

Our customers are in the hospital and hotel industries, as well as schools. This makes up part of the network solution.

What is most valuable?

We are able to customize this solution based on the customer's requirements.

There is a world-wide R&D team that collects feature requests that they use to enhance the product.

What needs improvement?

The price should be lowered so that we can capture more of the market for Ethernet switches.

In future versions, I would like to see improvements in networking speed.

We have been working with Alcatel-Lucent Ethernet switches for the past 13 years.

This is a stable solution. We don't normally face problems but if we do, there is a lifetime warranty on the switches.

This is a scalable product that we can either stack or expand.

We have customers of all sizes including small, medium, and enterprise-level organizations.

In the customers that are hotels, there are 400 to 500 guest rooms.

The technical support is excellent. If we are facing a problem then they are available online.

If we have a request for a special feature then we will give them the requirements and they will customize it for us.

I also have experience with Ethernet switches from Aruba, HPE, and Cisco.

The initial setup and configuration are very simple. The length of time required for deployment depends on the customer's site and the physical location of the equipment. On average, it takes about one week to install and deploy for a company in the hospitality sector.

For small to medium-sized companies, the configuration is quicker.

We have a few different teams. The implementation team will decide on the customer's requirements. There is also a design team and I am part of the service team.

The pricing is reasonable compared to Aruba and HPE. Cisco switches are more expensive but the others are almost equal in price. That said, if the price were lower then we could capture more of the market.

What other advice do I have?

All of the features in these switches are good. In most cases, everything that our customers need is already inbuilt.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

MuhammadUmer
Senior Engineer at Impact Business Center
Enables direct access to clusters via WAPs

• "Enables direct access to clusters."
  • "technical support response time is sometimes very slow."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have approximately 200 users within our company. There are four or five people dealing with maintenance and we have seven guys in data managing and networking inside the office but working on separate projects. We are partners of Alcatel-Lucent and I work as a senior network engineer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the wireless access points that enable direct access to clusters. This is also a very stable and scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user friendly and there are issues with technical support where the response time is sometimes very slow. None of the support or the distributor are currently available in my region in Pakistan.

There should definitely be additional documentation provided, especially as it's difficult for us to access support. It's difficult to get answers to some of our questions.

I've been using this solution for two years.

I have worked on several projects using this solution and it's stable. Their wireless access points are good and the clusters are there and we're able to go directly to the cluster up to 64. They only require up to 10 to 15 excess points or 20 or 25 and they have the cluster and the access point in the cluster is a very good feature in Alcatel.

This is a scalable solution. It's all up to the engineers and how they design it. Alcatel has the product and we can make it scalable using their guidelines.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.