Altaro VM Backup Overview

Altaro VM Backup is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Altaro VM Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Altaro VM Backup?

Altaro VM Backup is a high performance VM backup  and replication solution to back up and restore both Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines.

Eliminate hassle and headaches with an easy-to-use interface, straightforward setup and reassurance that this solution gets the job done every time.

Altaro VM Backup is intuitive and feature-rich, with outstanding support as part of the package.

Altaro VM Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Altaro VM Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Altaro VM Backup Customers

Thomson Reuters, Microsoft, Amazon, Harvard University, MIT, Peugeot, Xerox

Altaro VM Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Altaro VM Backup pricing:
  • "Altaro had the best prices and ROI in the whole bunch that we evaluated."
  • "VMware is a little pricey, but it is a good solution and priced similar to other products."
  • "The price is great for the utility you get and the licensing has never caused any issues with my company."
  • "The pricing is okay,"

Altaro VM Backup Reviews

reviewer1296030
User at a mining and metals company with 51-200 employees
Mar 5, 2020
Easy to use with a helpful dashboard, good support, and the deduplication feature saves heavily on storage space

What is our primary use case?

We backup Hyper-V VMs from two hosts with Altaro VM backup. It could not be any easier to back up a VM server than it is with Altaro VM Backup. It is pretty much set it and forget it. We do, of course, monitor our backups, and Altaro makes this very easy as well by using the monitoring software on our office computer. It connects to the software installed on the VM host, lets us know what is going on, and whether there have been any problems with backups or storage, etc. This is a very awesome backup software! Period!

• "The CDP backup feature is very nice, as it allows you to take backups at high frequencies and with application consistency."
  • "To improve Altaro, I would like to see the ability to choose more than one backup location at a time."

What other advice do I have?

If you have VMs to backup, Altaro is the BEST solution for us and many others alike. I would suggest that you do your homework because everybody's needs are different, and make sure that you test Altaro. You may not need to waste any more time on anything else because it just works!
reviewer550455
Infrastructure Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 13, 2019
Enables you to control replication, live migration, and incremental disaster recovery but the replication time between virtual machines is slow

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is for managing backup tasks such as replication, migration and disaster recovery.

• "The product has many valuable features for handling backup needs, including replication, live migration, and incremental disaster recovery."
  • "Replication is not fast, the GUI could be more user-friendly, and technical support is lacking in Iran."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten when one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Hyper-V as a seven. It is not the best but it is good.
Learn what your peers think about Altaro VM Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1303083
Business Process Specialist at a government with 10,001+ employees
Mar 5, 2020
User-friendly GUI, reliable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use Altaro as a VM backup solution for our clients. We utilize this for about five clients so far and have had no issues to date. Each client has about two VMs each and our implementation works great on all Windows systems. We have a couple of each server including Windows 2008, Windows 2012, Windows 2016, and Windows 2019. Altaro seems to have no issue backing up these OS versions and we have had no complaints from clients as to missing data or failures after backups have been completed. Altaro is always our go-to VM backup software.

• "The interface is user-friendly and even if our tech isn't onsite, we can work with the owners to confirm that the data will be restored with no issues."
  • "The application could include a feature to install a set size of data, such as the ability to store a single application with all its registry information for easy transfer."

What other advice do I have?

The software is great and does what I need for an application. I have no complaints and as long as the backups never become corrupt from the software, I will continue using Altaro.
Martin Timmerman
Professor / Dedicated Systems Expert at Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Oct 23, 2019
Features are fantastic and the management from Microsoft dealing with multiple machines is great

• "All of the features are fantastic and also the management from Microsoft dealing with multiple machines is great. The whole package is excellent for me."
  • "If you look into the performance of a virtual machine and you look to the performance of the physical machine, the correlation between these is totally unclear."

What other advice do I have?

I'm extremely happy with this solution. It's a complete solution. I would give it a ten out of ten. My advice to someone considering this solution is to play around. This is what I ask my students to do, and they play around on Hyper-V on the Windows 10 Pro Edition. It doesn't have all of the features but it's the best that you can get. That's my advice, you don't have to buy anything. You have Windows 10 Pro Edition and you can experiment with Hyper-V on your machine or notebook.
Ari-Greenbaum
IT Manager at Yad Sarah
Aug 21, 2019
A stable solution for virtualization and duplication

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for virtualization and duplication.

What needs improvement?

The Disaster and Recovery features, as well as the Cloning Technology, can be improved. I would like more cloud integration with disaster recovery.

I have been using this solution for twenty years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable and we have one thousand users. We don't plan to increase our usage of this product.

I have not used the technical support.

The initial set up was complex, and I was not…
reviewer1051650
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 8, 2019
An easy to use solution with an excellent user interface and an easy setup

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of the solution is its most valuable feature. The interface is also excellent.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of the solution is limited.

I've been using the solution for three years.

It's scalable but only scalable to a certain level. If it's for a high-end enterprise, you will have trouble.  If you have seven servers or more and then you'll probably struggle a bit. Right now, we have 500-600 users.

The technical support for this solution is excellent. I'd give it a rating of nine out of ten.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What other advice

Download our free Altaro VM Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.