Altaro VM Backup Overview

Altaro VM Backup is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Altaro VM Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Altaro VM Backup?

Altaro VM Backup is a high performance VM backup  and replication solution to back up and restore both Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines.

Eliminate hassle and headaches with an easy-to-use interface, straightforward setup and reassurance that this solution gets the job done every time.

Altaro VM Backup is intuitive and feature-rich, with outstanding support as part of the package.

Altaro VM Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Altaro VM Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Altaro VM Backup Customers

Thomson Reuters, Microsoft, Amazon, Harvard University, MIT, Peugeot, Xerox

Altaro VM Backup Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Director at DAR AL ARKAN

What is our primary use case?

We implemented virtualization to minimize the physical infrastructure which leads to higher CAPEX and OPEX. When we moved to a virtual environment, we had issues with our existing backup software from a popular brand and required additional investment, which was much higher. We have used Altaro Backup to use Hyper-V instances as backup and replicate them to offsite and DR locations periodically through the IP VPN/MPLS connectivity.

• "The initial setup was simple and easy. Anyone without prior experience can install, configure, and use it."
  • "The intuitive interface allows you to set up and perform backups and restores easily."
  • "Reverse Delta is Altaro proprietary backup deduplication technology. With Reverse Delta, the latest version of a file is always made available in its entirety, not as a delta file."
  • "Availability of physical server backup would be an added advantage."
  • "Migrating the physical through a backup and restore to a virtual environment would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

Altaro VM Backup is a hassle-free virtual machine backup software solution for Hyper-V and VMware. The intuitive interface allows you to set up and perform backups and restores easily. https://www.altaro.com/resourc...
Technical Engineer at Agile Technical Solutions
Granular Restore enables us to recover accidentally deleted files and emails

What is our primary use case?

We use Altaro to back up nine VMs across two hosts.

• "We frequently use the granular restore option for when our users accidentally delete files or to recover emails from mailboxes. We have found that to be a must-have feature and it comes with the solution at no extra cost."
  • "We use the latest feature in Altaro called CDP (Continuous Data Protection) to back up our VMs as often as every five minutes. It allows us to make sure no data is accidentally deleted or overwritten."
  • "The ability to test the backups without having to manually mount the VHDs after restore allows us to check the integrity of the backups."
  • "It would be nice to see a feature that backs up the host so that, in case of a server failure, an entire server could be restored all at once."
Learn what your peers think about Altaro VM Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TO
Product Manager - Backup & Utilities at NovaStar Software & Consulting GmbH
Reseller
Offsite capability mitigates ransomware attack risk. Also, Cloud Management Console allows monitoring from around the world

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Altaro VM Backup for our Hyper-V cluster since 2015 and are quite happy with it. Our cluster consists of four Hyper-V Hosts.
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install and use, enables offsite and onsite copy and deduplication

What is our primary use case?

Altaro VM Backup helps me garanty a efficiant backup policy for my VM's : 1. Backup VM in the local store of the Hyperviser, several times a day, for short retention and fast restore time 2. Remote backup on a HA NAS storage, for longer retention. If needed, this Nas could be use to restore VM or files on another Hyperviser 3. Automatic VM restore and consitancy tests I must garanty fast recovery of a VM or files inside a VM

What other advice do I have?

Try it. It’s easy to install and manage its performance.
Information Technologies and Security Specialist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Automated live Hyper-V backups of full VMs and accelerated our physical to virtual conversion,

• "Excellent compression and deduplication with off-site WAN backup included."
  • "Backup speed and comparisons between versions used to be slow on big VMs but that was improved greatly later on."

What other advice do I have?

Try it! You will not be disappointed.
IT Manager
Valuable features include quick recovery, compression, and deduplication

• "Valuable features for us include quick recovery, compression, and deduplication."
  • "The cloud backup and VMware support (now available in the latest releases), could do with some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Test multiple solutions for at least two weeks, validate DR scenarios, and the storage required for each solution and scalability.
Senior Support Consultant
VM backup and the item level recovery are the most valuable features

• "VM backup and the item level recovery are the most valuable features."
  • "It would be nice to be able to recover the items to their original location."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have enough disk space, especially if you use replication. Also, as the two have managed to butt heads on occasion, causing VMs to be put into a paused state due to snapshots that haven't merged. It can then be a timely job to shut the machines down and merge them back in.
IT Support Engineer at a tech company
I could create VM backups from live machines without issues.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity and reliability. I had some difficulties activating the product but after the activation phase all went smooth.

How has it helped my organization?

I could create VM backups from live machines without any issues. The restore process also was very quick.

What needs improvement?

I have tested version 5 only. However I would like to see the addition of a VM converter from another solution (VMware) and a P2V capability.

I used it for two to three months.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy restore for entire virtual machine files.

What other advice do I have?

Wait for the new version 7 the beta that im testing is very quick
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Restoring and stability areas have room for improvement.

What is most valuable?

Shiny and new looking.  All backup features look nice.  Ability to restore to any host.  File level restore on FPS and Exchange. There is a free version for Hosts with 2 VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

None!

What needs improvement?

Restoring. Stability.

6 months.

No. Easy deployment.

Yes, Service had many issues and had to reboot host to resolve on multiple occasions. Unable to restore a VM when I needed it. Tried multiple hosts. Connected via gig switch and would never complete.

No issues.

Which solution did I use

Support technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Backups are much easier to manage, using a drag and drop interface for a lot of the features.

What other advice do I have?

The wide range of changes that you can make are very good. However, timings of the backups take quite a while however this is to be resolved with the CBT feature that they're rolling out in the coming months. It would however be nice to throttle bandwidth/ disk activity during set periods of times. They offer a free license for two VMs or less. A lot of features are disabled, but give it a go and like it, purchase it.
Senior Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides most of the enterprise class features with the ability to store your data in the cloud, however it has no support for tape drive backup.
Altaro Hyper-V backup solution is best suitable for an SMB and it provides most of the enterprise class features with the ability to store your data on cloud. It also provides an offsite backup for a DR purpose with the help of it’s built in Wan-Acceleration. When we look at the restoration methods it has two type such as a Full VM restore or a granular file restore. Again the granular recovery will let you restore a single file from a VM or a single item recovery from your Exchange mailbox. File Level Restore Scanning Exchange EDB files from VM for restoreExchange Single item restoreBrowsing a VM for file level restoreExchange Single item restore Altaro – Retension Policy Altaro Hyper-V backup also offers ReverseDelta feature for taking backup – By using ReverseDelta technology,…
Senior System/Package Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​The setup is very easy but it would be good if they would expand to allow non-Hyper-V servers to be backed up.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try as it's very easy to setup and works like charm. Also, the pricing model is very good.
Senior Support Consultant with 51-200 employees
It could be improved by including support for REFS files system, however, DR time has been massively reduced.

What other advice do I have?

* Make sure you have the relevant expansion/space for growing VMS and VSS * If there is not enough free disk space for VSS to run you will get crash consistent state backups * Enable shadow copy (previous versions) restore on files servers if using REFS files system as its not supported
System Architect (Contract) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
There are a few missing features, but taking the full picture into account I consider those minor.
Backups can be a tough topic to get excited about. In a forward-looking technology field even needing to utilize your backup platform is generally a sign that something went wrong. As a result I haven't delved into the topic of backups for awhile. I'm taking a break from that dry spell to examine a Hyper-V backup solution, Altaro Hyper-V Backup. Being that my local lab is Hyper-V based, I was able to take Altaro through its paces without impacting a production environment; something affording me the freedom to explore most of the features. Speaking of features (that's a $2 segue) let's examine the high level features offered by Altaro Support for backup of Hyper-V virtual machines Fully Hypervisor/VSS-based, meaning no worries regarding open files or system state…
Director with 51-200 employees
It's $1000 to set up with no daily cost, but there is a small annual fee.

What is most valuable?

It works fine and is easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

My customer does not even know it is there and has saved him numerous times over the years.

What needs improvement?

It is constantly updated free of charge, and the customer only pays a small maintenance fee.

I've been using it since v2.0.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Extremely good, and the turnaround is less than a day. Technical Support: Extremely good, and the…
Network Analyst III with 51-200 employees
Keeps things simple although the time it takes to do a recovery needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Ease of setup  Ease of recovery of VMs

What needs improvement?

The recovery speed could be quicker, especially when you only need a file or two.

I've been using it for one year.

Excellent.

We previously used Symantec. We switched because of the cost as our customers were SMBs, not…
Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
It has exchange item level restore but I'd like them to add backward compatibility with earlier versions.

What other advice do I have?

If you only have a Hyper-V environment with several nodes, you should dedicate one server for hosting the backup solution (depending on the number of the virtual machines hosted on each node). Or you can install several Altaro Hyper-V Backup instances and connect them to one management software. I am sure that guys at Altaro will help you out with the deployment scenario.
Owner with 51-200 employees
We can restore to a different Hyper-V host machine but cannot backup the actual host machine.

What other advice do I have?

Install the trial version so you can see how easy it is.
Product Area Manager at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Linux guests on Hyper-V clusters is missing a file level restore functionality but when we need to restore something, we don’t need to repair the failed backups as we did before.

What other advice do I have?

Estimate what you need. It is very important because Altaro Hyper-V Backup has multiple editions which contain different features. For example, the standard edition doesn’t support the clusters.
Infrastructure & Support Engineer with 51-200 employees
The software does have occasional problems with shadow copy but restarting the services rectifies this.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend Altaro.
Download our free Altaro VM Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.