Amazon API Gateway Overview

Amazon API Gateway is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Amazon API Gateway vs Microsoft Azure API Management

What is Amazon API Gateway?

Amazon API Gateway is a fully managed service that makes it easy for developers to create, publish, maintain, monitor, and secure APIs at any scale. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, you can create an API that acts as a "front door" for applications to access data, business logic, or functionality from your back-end services, such as workloads running on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), code running on AWS Lambda, or any Web application.

Amazon API Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon API Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Amazon API Gateway Customers

Autodesk, Fox Digital Consumer Group, iFlix, UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Miovision, Olympusat, PhotoVogue, Royale International Group, Veracode

Amazon API Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon API Gateway pricing:
  • "This is a pay-per-use service, where you only pay for what you use."

JA
API Application Security Specialist
A scalable solution with End-to-end protection for your service, and ties in well with the AWS ecosystem

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution in a project that we are implementing for a public service organization. It is a content management system that will be able to do things like rate monitoring. The service will have good security and availability. This is a cloud-based deployment with Lambda Integration.

• "This solution gives you a unified way to have your API accessed."
  • "The only real problem is that you have to know a lot about what is outside of the API gateway in order to make the best use of it."

What other advice do I have?

I have heard complaints that people say this product does not have good security, but that is not true. There is an expectation that you can use it with other Amazon services to provide security, as well as other functionality. This is a great product. It has ease of use and a full breadth of functionality. I would say that the Amazon platform, in my view, is the best compared to third-party products. The only real problem is that you have to know a lot about what is outside of the API gateway in order to make the best use of it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
NM
Digital Architecture Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to get started and to use

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS API Management and Mulesoft because I work on different solutions and I am in a different layer, because I most focused on backend solutions. I have participated in some projects using these tools but I am not a developer or an expert. We have designed and implemented RESTful API's. For example, based on Microservices with Spring Boot and AKS or OpenShift.

• "In terms of most valuable features, it would say that it is really easy to start working with it."
  • "It would be useful to have a more complete development environment for the developer, with different integrative capabilities to manage all the life cycles for the API. I think the full version formula for that is really useful. They should improve the development environment for easier integration."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give others regarding Amazon API is that it depends on the use cases. If they have a complex environment, they need to consider different integration patterns. It could be that AWS Management is not enough for them. They would have to compliment it with another solution. It is really working in some cases, but you do need to evaluate all the requirements to choose the tool. If you are working only in the AWS context with different services or something like that, it's really useful to work with AWS Management. On a scale of one to ten I would rate Amazon API Gateway an…
Learn what your peers think about Amazon API Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Iñigo Lacave
Software architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
A fully-managed and easy-to-use solution for our mobile app development projects

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for mobile app development. It is the API gateway for my backend.

• "This solution is useful for making new APIs."
  • "There should be more videos and documentation about the new features that are released every month."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first read the documentation and follow the steps. Make a use case, create a proof of concept, and then migrate it to production environments. It's pretty easy to use. This is a good product, but there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
RC
Technical Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A complete solution with good security, integration, and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it for normal API purposes.

• "Its security feature is the most valuable because it is mainly a security solution. It has easy authentication and authorization, and its integration is also useful."
  • "The user interface, in general, can be better. The user interface for the entire Amazon cloud can be more friendly. There are some scenarios that are not really easy to manage and configure through the user interface."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for anyone whose strategy is to run entirely on Amazon. You basically have to use another approach if that's not the case. If you have a hybrid cloud or if you are trying to be independent of the cloud, this is not a good solution for you. I would rate Amazon API Gateway an eight out of ten. It is a complete solution.
SS
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services

What is our primary use case?

We use it for API routing and managing traffic. These are managed authentications between the API and back to primary users.

• "It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services if I use the AWS API gateway."
  • "I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for open banking. I would rate it 8 out of 10. To get to 10 it would It would need more support for open banking, via the open API. If your existing workloads are in AWS, then you can surely go for the AWS Amazon, AWS API gateway. If it is a hybrid solution, then I would suggest you go for WSA2. Konghybrid GCP is also good.
DF
Software Architect at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Enables us to provide controlled access to our services running within Amazon but the configuration should be better

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for providing controlled access to our services running within Amazon.

• "The technical support is very strong. We've had issues with the solution and configuration and we got very good support."
  • "It's hard to configure. There's a lot of options but it's very hard, it's very confusing."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of 10. If there was a better configuration, I'd give it a higher score.
PC
Director and Information Technology Architect at Fusion Professionals
Good ability to proxy and has a simple user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for exposing internal data sources to the internet.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy. Deployment only takes five minutes."
  • "Like most Amazon services, and this one's the same, you're expected to effectively do your own support, and any other support is by emails, so it's quite limited."

What other advice do I have?

The user interface is easy enough to use. I don't really have any complaints about it. In terms of advice for implementing and using, I would say you should make sure you've got good internal skills. I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.