LF
CTO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Plenty of connectors, high performance, and reliable

• "Amazon is a really good solution with high performance. They offer more connectors than some of their competitors, such as Microsoft Azure."
  • "Amazon AWS could improve by being more secure and adding more features."

What is our primary use case?

I was using Amazon AWS in the medical market in my previous employment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Amazon AWS could improve by being more secure and adding more features.

I have been using Amazon AWS for approximately six years.

Amazon AWS in my experience has been more stable than Microsoft Azure.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 50 customers that are using the solution.

We have moved from Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure. I have found that both solutions perform very well. The main reason we switched was to allow us to manage where the data was to be stored. We wanted a data storage solution in France which most of our customers were requesting. Two years ago, Amazon did not have any solution to provide any storage in France.

The level of difficulty for the installation of Amazon AWS is similar to Microsoft Azure. They are very difficult.

We have a five-person team of DevOps and architects that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

If I was going to compare the cost of Amazon AWS to Microsoft Azure, they are approximately the same.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

GM
Senior Field Application Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A perfect solution with good features, security, integration, and support

• "They are enterprising and pretty good in terms of features. It has good security. Its availability is also pretty good. It is available everywhere in the world. It has pretty good integrations, and it is working well. They have done a lot of improvements, and its UI has improved a lot."
  • "They currently have fewer regions in Asia, especially in India, China, and other places. They can maybe put more data centers in this region."

What is our primary use case?

We run everything on AWS. You can run anything on this, such as web servers, application servers, and containers as a service.

What is most valuable?

They are enterprising and pretty good in terms of features. It has good security. Its availability is also pretty good. It is available everywhere in the world.

It has pretty good integrations, and it is working well. They have done a lot of improvements, and its UI has improved a lot.

What needs improvement?

They currently have fewer regions in Asia, especially in India, China, and other places. They can maybe put more data centers in this region.

I have been using this solution for three to four months.

It is very stable. They keep on improving it continuously.

It is scalable. A lot of people are using it, especially DevOps.

Their support is pretty fast and good. They provide worldwide support, and everything is taken care of.

It is straightforward. You have all the documentation, so it is pretty good. For its deployment, two or three people should be more than enough.

What other advice do I have?

Everything is good in this solution. They are number one, and they have done everything. The number of services is very huge, and they have taken care of everything. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Amazon AWS a ten out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Cloud computing services with useful analytics feartures.

• "I like many features, like the recently released useful analytics features. There are many from the data analytics or database side."
  • "The price could be better. Support for data analytics could be better. I don't see much support for data analytics. They have a lot of support in Azure, but I don't see a lot of innovation on the data analytics side in AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use AWS for migrating onto the cloud or for analytic services and machine learning.

What is most valuable?

I like many features, like the recently released useful analytics features. There are many from the data analytics or database side.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. Support for data analytics could be better. I don't see much support for data analytics. They have a lot of support in Azure, but I don't see a lot of innovation on the data analytics side in AWS.

I have been dealing with Amazon AWS for the last two years.

AWS is a stable and flexible solution.

AWS is a scalable product.

Technical support is customer-friendly and knowledgeable.

The initial setup and installation are straightforward. They have very good documentation, and if you can follow the script, you can do it. I was trying to do it with the Datacom script, and I was able to make services like VPC and EC2 in the database cloud seamlessly.

The prices are somewhat on the higher side. It would help if they can bring it down, especially for the sporting segment and for on-demand instances.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Amazon AWS to potential customers.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS a nine.

DC
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Meets our needs in terms of features, good pricing, and reliable

• "It is enough for us in terms of features. We don't have too many transactions, and it is sufficient for our current needs."
  • "Our API Management solution is integrated with Lambda, and last year, we had an issue while upgrading Lambda from version 8.0 to version 10. It seemed like Lambda runtime was changed by AWS, and there was a bug that caused the downtime. The loading of the dashboard is slow. It could be because I am located in China."

What is our primary use case?

We need to do the ticket exchange with external customers for the ITSM domain. There is an exchange of the service requests between our customer and our company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Our API Management solution is integrated with Lambda, and last year, we had an issue while upgrading Lambda from version 8.0 to version 10. It seemed like Lambda runtime was changed by AWS, and there was a bug that caused the downtime.

The loading of the dashboard is slow. It could be because I am located in China.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

It is reliable. We had a downtime only once. The issue was not with the production environment. It was with the lower environment.

There are a lot of people who are using this solution in our organization. There are not many transactions between the customers and our internal system, and we don't have a high workload.

I had contacted them for another solution, and they got back just in a day.

It was easy for us.

It is subscription-based, and we are happy with its pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

ThierryDavin
Senior consultant at NTT Security
MSP
A well-built and logical ecosystem that is robust, secure, and scalable

• "Almost everything is good. It is a whole ecosystem. It is not only the storage, computing, or networking. It is interesting in the way all things are combined to form this ecosystem. It is a very well-built and logical ecosystem that has some small building blocks. These building blocks can be used in the right way to build a much bigger ecosystem that is robust, secure, scalable."
  • "Its interface could be better because there are so many services right now in the product that it is quite difficult to navigate around in this. Its interface could be a subject of improvement."

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for six years.

It has good stability. In six years of working with Amazon AWS, I had only two major incidents, which are very few.

It is very scalable. Our clients are enterprise businesses. There are some customers who put only a part of their business on Amazon AWS, and there are some customers who put everything on Amazon AWS. In some cases, a few applications are going to the cloud, whereas in other cases, everything is going to the cloud, and the migration is huge.

Their technical support is good.

Its initial setup is straightforward. You just need to create an account.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a cloud leader, and it is a safe bet.

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

VC
CEO at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good availability, reliable, and scalable, but it's expensive

• "The availability is good, you can get any service you need immediately."
  • "AWS is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

There is a large list of products that are available in the cloud, from computing to mail hosting and server services that are available in the AWS cloud.

They provide you with computing resources and IT services.

What is most valuable?

In terms of features, I would rate it a nine.

This is a product that is easy to use and highly available. The availability is good, you can get any service you need immediately.

I have been using Amazon AWS for five or six years.

It's very stable.

It's a very scalable product. We have 200 users in our organization who are using AWS.

They provide support at different levels.

Previously, we did not use another solution.

We use our own server in the cloud or we use AWS.

It is in the cloud, there is no installation.

Pricing, I would rate a five out of ten. AWS is very expensive.

It's paid on a monthly basis and you have to pay for the resources that you use.

There is no licensing in AWS, you pay per usage.

What other advice do I have?

We have reduced usability to a few situations because we have our own hosting cloud server.

I would not recommend this solution,  I would recommend something from the competitors.

I would rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.

Venkateswarlu Paturu
Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A cloud computing solution with great elasticity

• "The compute and the elasticness of the compute is really great. Whenever there's a load, it automatically adds the servers and then reduces the servers based on the configuration. This is really wonderful, more cost-effective, and it's been really good for us."
  • "AWS support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We're using several Amazon products. We use Amazon AWS Compute Service, AWS Elastic Load Balancing, and a huge private VPN or a virtual private network are created out of it. We also use an API Gateway. There are several products and several services that AWS provides, and we're using them.

What is most valuable?

The compute and the elasticness of the compute is really great. Whenever there's a load, it automatically adds the servers and then reduces the servers based on the configuration. This is really wonderful, more cost-effective, and it's been really good for us.

What needs improvement?

AWS support could be better.

I have been using Amazon AWS for many years.

AWS support could be better. It could be faster and straightforward.

There's no initial setup or installation. It's all configuration.

A few of our customers pay for it yearly and monthly. Sometimes, when it's related to the data, the pricing seems to be high. It could be cheaper on a transactional basis.

We did evaluate a couple of other products like Google Cloud and  RTCloud, but our customers decided to go with AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this cloud solution to new customers.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Amazon AWS an eight.

YA
VP Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
On-demand pricing, stable, scalable, and easy to use

• "The ease of use is the biggest benefit."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see better pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to run some of our workloads.

What is most valuable?

We like the on-demand pricing.

The ease of use is the biggest benefit.

They deliver in terms of features.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see better pricing.

I have been using Amazon AWS for almost a year.

I am using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

This is a scalable product. In my organization, I have 15 to 20 people who are using it.

I don't see any reason why they would not continue using this solution.

I don't have any experience with technical support.

We did not use another solution previously. We started using AWS.

It's all in the cloud, so there is really no installation.

What attracted us was the on-demand pricing. It's a pay-per-use model.

It is costly, but when you use the pay-per-use model, it is cheaper.

The price could be cheaper, but it's better than what is available.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.