Ashish Jaiswal
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A cost-saving tool that is stable and has good support

• "Using AWS is really helpful for saving costs."
  • "There should be seminars and online training sessions available from AWS because a lot of people who are not using it would benefit from having the basic knowledge or basic hands-on experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use several tools that are part of AWS, which are onboarded to our infrastructure.

We have five or six EC2 instances that make up our AppDynamics component of the link. We are using Paperclip for restoring files, and we use other scripts as well. These are tools that we use from day-to-day.

What is most valuable?

Using AWS is really helpful for saving costs. We used to have to budget a lot for hardware costs, but now we have EC2 instances that are based on the requirements. For example, if you want one CPU then the cost is based on that, whereas if you require more, then it is automatically included.

What needs improvement?

There should be seminars and online training sessions available from AWS because a lot of people who are not using it would benefit from having the basic knowledge or basic hands-on experience. If they gain experience with it, then they will be happy to use it in the future.

Training could be in the form of more documentation or training videos. Any increase would make this solution easier to handle.

I have been using Amazon AWS for almost two years.

We use AWS on a daily basis and it is really stable.

We have more than 10,000 users on AWS and we are definitely planning to increase usage. We are the MNP and we have close to one million users in our India location.

Currently, we are introducing our web support and once we need infrastructure to be installed, we will create more instances.

The technical support is really good because whenever we we need help, we just raise a ticket and we get a solution.

I know a little bit about  Azure and GCP, but I am only really familiar with AWS. From our perspective, 60% of users implement AWS.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have the guidelines and documents from AWS, so it is easy for us. AppDynamics is also supporting us for the installation of their components.

The time required for deployment is not long. Creating an EC2 instance only takes between 15 and 20 minutes.

We no longer need a team for the installation. When we first started, they guided us, and now we have the experience that allows us to do it on our own.

What other advice do I have?

AWS and its cloud platform are getting to be well known through social sites and other sources. It is definitely a product that we recommend. We have experience with it and encourage other people to use it as well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RN
Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Scalable and easy to use with its own ecosystem

• "Technical support is quite helpful."
  • "The solution could always be further improved on the commercial side of things. Amazon Web Services are not cheap. It would be ideal if it was less expensive for the customer."

What is our primary use case?

We have, for example, a big analytical platform running on top of AWS. We have many Lighthouse projects in the digital space running on AWS. We have so many things running on AWS. We use it for storage services. We use it for computing services. Its use cases are really very broad.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy to use. It's flexible.

It's the leading cloud platform in the world, and it has a very wide variety of services.

The product has a very good ecosystem of its own.

The product has proven itself to be very stable.

The scalability of the product is great.

Technical support is quite helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could always be further improved on the commercial side of things. Amazon Web Services are not cheap. It would be ideal if it was less expensive for the customer.

We've been using the solution for a couple of years at this point. We're a good AWS customer.

The stability is very good. the performance is excellent. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. Overall, it's excellent.

The solution can scale very, very well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so without too much trouble.

Currently, I would say, the number of end-users who use applications on top of AWS is only at about 1,000.

We do have plans to continue to use the product and to expand it in the future. We will be scaling it ourselves.

We've used technical support in the past. We've been very happy with them overall. I have no complaints. they are helpful, knowledgeable, and responsive.

There is no installation or implementation per see. It's a cloud service. You simply have to sign up.

The solution can get rather pricey. It should be more reasonable. It's our main complaint about the product - the total cost of ownership is just too high.

We aren't buying licenses, we are buying cloud services.

What other advice do I have?

We are an enterprise with thousands of applications. We have really a broad mix of infrastructure. We have a technology standard list of several thousand products. We use a lot of AWS services. We're a customer and an end-user.

As a cloud-based solution, we're always using the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with it overall.

I would recommend the product to other users and companies.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CF
VP at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good support, stable, and easy to scale according to our clients' needs

• "The most valuable feature is scalability, as it is very easy to scale."
  • "It should be easier to monitor the performance and generate analytic information so that we can determine how to provide better support for our clients."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software company and we use Amazon AWS as part of the solutions that we provide to our clients. The primary use case is an internet banking system. It is used in mobile banking, digital internet banking, and corporate banking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is scalability, as it is very easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we are concerned about is the amount of memory because when we deploy the products, we have to make sure that the client has sufficient resources.

It should be easier to monitor the performance and generate analytic information so that we can determine how to provide better support for our clients. I believe that they have a lot of information available, so maybe they can have better analytic reporting.

We have been using Amazon AWS for approximately five years.

We have faced no major issues with AWS. So far, so good, and we plan to continue using it.

Scalability is very good and easy to do.

We have three or four clients using this platform. Most of our clients start with something small, and they are looking for growth. This is one of the reasons that we are using this cloud-based system. It gives them something small to start with, that fits their requirements.

I have seen the email exchange on consulting an issue, and so far, their support is okay.

We did not use another cloud platform prior to AWS.

Installation is not a concern for this product, as it is handled by Amazon.

The only concern is during deployment and integrating with other products. However, there are solutions in place for this and it takes between one and two days to complete.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance, but we also have a consultant to assist us.

This is a subscription-based service and there are licensing fees.

We explored using Microsoft Azure and another cloud, but we did not implement either one.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is definitely a product that I recommend because it's stable. Also, The capabilities and features are better than some of the competitors.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
RM
Director, Tools Engineering & Security, Data Platform
Reliable, easy to scale, easy to set up, and the support is responsive

• "It scales extremely well."
  • "Price can always be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are essentially infrastructure provisioning for backend services. We also use it for environment automation.

We use it for CIPD. So, this is like AWS Beanstalk. We use it for infrastructure provisioning, auto-scaling some of the container services as well, block storage, such as S3.

What is most valuable?

It's a suite of services. There is no one thing that you can pinpoint and say that this is the most valuable.

AWS definitely works for us.

What needs improvement?

There are some subjective pain points, but we are pretty satisfied.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

We are not exactly using the latest version. We are using what Amazon rolls out.

It's software or infrastructure as a service, so we use what Amazon has.

We don' use the beta products and try to stay away from them. We only use what is generally available.

It's a stable solution. It's definitely reliable, we have run enough critical business services on it.

It scales extremely well. Most things are inbuilt. It is easy to scale vertically and horizontally.

It also functions on a tiering level, and that is based on what kind of customer you are.

Internally, there is some tiering on which they respond to tickets.

Overall the customer service support is pretty comfortable.

They usually respond and resolve tickets fairly quickly.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

They have different pricing models for each suite of services. For example, if you are with EC2; E2 has spot instances and EC2 has on instances. You can pay upfront or you can reserve an instance.

You can pay upfront or you can on an annual basis for certain machines, and you can keep them up which you get quite a competitive discount.

You can take spot instances, as in certain predefined instances, that you can spin up when you need it, but those ten to be expensive because it's ad-hoc.

You can also just go with the normal EC2 instances that are charged at the usual pricing rate.

For us, it's use-case specific and we move between all three pricing options.

Price can always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

As a customer, I would wholeheartedly recommend this solution to others.

From our use cases and standards, most of the things are pretty much covered, so we're happy.

I've been pretty happy with my experience with AWS. I would rate Amazon AWS a solid nine out of ten.

Ibrahim Rasras
Lead solution architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Feature-rich, integrates well, stable, scalable, and has good support that responds immediately

• "It integrates well."
  • "I would like to see CloudFormation made more in the programming way of thinking."

What is our primary use case?

We use several features of this solution for many purposes. For example, we use CloudFormation for infrastructure as a service, Kinesis for the message queue, Lambda for integration services, and ATC for hosting.

We also use S3 for storing the data, clustering, Multizone security, AVS to attach hard disk, and assistant.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

It has many features that we use.

It integrates well.

They upgrade a lot of applications.

What needs improvement?

If you are familiar with other cloud infrastructures, you can see that it is in need of some enhancements.

It is easy to enhance it to make the clustering easier.

At times, when you use CloudFormation to create five machines with a sequence name, it is difficult but can be done with Terraform easily.

I would like to see CloudFormation made more in the programming way of thinking. You have some variables, LOB, IF statements, and inheritance, where it's not just the functionality that we have, but gives you the output. They could make it close to the programming language, even if it's a scripting language. They need more control over it such as an If-Then-Else statement and a sub-loop if possible. It will make it easier to create the infrastructure.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for more than seven or eight years.

We are using the latest version.

It is a stable solution.

Amazon AWS is a scalable solution.

I work as a consultant and have a couple of customers. Each customer is of a different size company but they are all over 1,000.

AWS has very good technical support. They react immediately when you need help.

When you speak of installation, you refer to applications already built or software in ATC to be installed. AWS doesn't sell applications, they give you an infrastructure as a service, application as a service, and a platform as a service but they don't give you applications to be installed.

There is no installation required in AWS.

The maintenance required depends on the size of the company. Some larger companies require a larger IT department while others don't require it at all.

A license is required. Some customers will provide their own license and others will purchase it directly from AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in it.

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

IshtiaqAhmad
Senior Software Engineer at consol gulf
Stable and easy to set up but can be a bit expensive

• "The product is reliable and quite stable."
  • "I want to use AWS as a full solution for my website - for domain and website hosting, and everything in between - however, I was not able to find everything together."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily used the solution more for a POC. The solution was primarily used for data lakes. However, my use case is more focused on getting the IDs up and running.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very good.

The solution in general is user-friendly and easy to navigate.

The product as a whole is very intuitive.

The initial setup was quite easy.

The product is reliable and quite stable.

The solution is fine for static hosting.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any issues or any missing features.

There are some other issues I see, but that was more on the security side, not on EC2. That's more of a technical thing. I was not able to get it up and running, however, that was a different issue altogether. It was more due to my understanding of the solution.

I want to use AWS as a full solution for my website - for domain and website hosting, and everything in between - however, I was not able to find everything together. They should work to make it an easy all-in-one end-to-end solution.

The product is a bit costly.

I've used the solution a bit, however, my specific experience is not up to date. My usage is not on the production side.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good and overall, the entire solution is reliable.

We haven't attempted to scale the solution yet, as we are still at the POC phase. However, ultimately, that is the plan and it is my understanding that it will scale well.

We've yet to contact technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

The initial setup, in the end, was pretty straightforward.

The solution can get to be expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using different services. We are using Alexa, for example, and static hosting. We do have a corporate account, however, we're not using a lot of services on it.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using.

We don't have a dedicated private cloud and therefore use a public cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to others. Overall, we enjoy using it.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

RG
Senior Manager, Engineering at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Robust, scalable, user-friendly, and support included when deployed

• "One of the features offered is scalability on demand."
  • "It works very well with open-source solutions like Java, but not with .NET technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We host the service for customer products. Those services are utilized by different product lines, which can be used on AWS.

What is most valuable?

One of the features offered is scalability on demand.

It's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There are some areas that are not great. For example, with some Microsoft technologies such as .NET, you will have a difficult time deploying it on AWS. It works very well with open-source solutions like Java, but not with .NET technologies.

I would like to see more alerts added to the system. Preemptive alerts would be very good. It is something that happens and you have to do a lot of configuration at that time, which can be complex.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It's stable and a pretty robust solution.

It's a scalable solution that features scalability on demand, which is working perfectly fine.

We change the core on demand. We can increase the capacity on demand.

We have 10,000 users in our organization who are using this solution.

We have dedicated support. Once we have deployed it, support comes as part of the service because it is incorporated with the solution.

We get all of the support that we need.

The initial setup was definitely complex, but not because of AWS. It is complex because we need to upgrade to be compatible with AWS, which is related to the product and not AWS. The setup of AWS is straightforward.

We deployed it in a cluster way. Initially, it took a week to set everything up.

The first time it took longer, then became straightforward. It only takes a couple of hours now.

Licensing can be purchased on a yearly basis, which is an auto-renewal. We also have an on-demand on-pay purchase.

If, for example, we have provisions for other things and we have a three-peak season then we add more core, more hardware for the on-premises machines. During those periods it is on-demand but the rest of the time it is licensed with a yearly subscription.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but there are some areas that need improvement. It doesn't integrate well with some technologies and preemptive alerts would be very helpful.

I am happy with this solution, and I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Milton Ortegón
CEO at Fit Ideas
Provides stable, on-demand cloud computing platforms

• "It's easy to manage. We can use a wide range of technologies with AWS."
  • "I would like to receive some alerts when my consumption is getting out of the normal range."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to deploy our products.

Within our company, there are at least five people using this solution. Usually, they are technical people — some software developers and a couple of infrastructure managers.

Whether we decide to increase our usage with this solution depends on our business development.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to deploy a production environment using Oracle Database, an API integrator, or by using our development tools.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to manage. We can use a wide range of technologies with AWS.

What needs improvement?

It's very easy to configure and to use the platform, but we would like to be notified about our consumption. The consumption is a critical point for us because we are not always using the platform, but sometimes we receive high charges — high amounts of money for services that we didn't even use during that month, for instance.

I have been using Amazon AWS for roughly two years.

It's pretty stable. We haven't had any problems with the platform. Overall, I think it's quite optimized.

Scalability-wise, haven't had any issues. We work with small to medium-sized solutions so we haven't really needed to test the limits.

We haven't really had to contact technical support. The documentation is very complete and easy to understand.

We tried using a Google cloud platform, but we had some configuration problems with some programs like WordPress.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I wasn't involved in the deployment, but I believe it took less than four hours.

The price could be lower. Currently, we spend between $300 to $1,000 dollars a month to use this solution. We try to avoid using a license if we can.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend AWS to other interested companies. It's a very stable platform. It's easy to use and you don't have to be an expert to deploy your first project. Obviously, you'll need to make use of some advanced features, but in that case, support is always available.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.