DM
Software Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great documentation with an excellent community and a reasonable pricing structure

• "The pricing model is good. It's pay-as-you-go."
  • "It would be ideal if they could provide automatic health reports. That way, I would be able to understand at a glance the state of my services at any given time."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for deploying some applications that use cloud computing.

What is most valuable?

It offers a lot of tools, which we leverage.

At the moment I'm using Lambda service and also AC2 machines - as a platform as a service and infrastructure as a service.

The pricing model is good. It's pay-as-you-go. You only pay for what you use.

The solution offers a lot of very helpful documentation. There's also a great community that surrounds it that is quite helpful if you have questions or want to learn something.

What needs improvement?

Personally, I need to improve myself in terms of the knowledge I have around the product. My goal is to maybe get certified in order to understand it better. It would be helpful if they would be able to provide me with more certification information.

It's a good platform. I don't have any issues with it at the moment.

I've used the solution for three or four years at this point.

The solution is stable. We have many items deployed in AWS and we haven't had any issues. there are no bugs or glitches. It's problem-free.

AWS provides us with a lot of tools for deploying automatically when we are working, for example, in a new feature. We have options for automatic deployments and don't have issues with size.

There's a lot of great documentation and community support. I'm learning a lot and can find any answers I need there.

I'm working with AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Computing right now.

I work with my customer's solutions and I deploy into AWS to provide the end product for my customers. I don't directly deal with AWS implementations themselves.

The pricing is good and it's set up as a pay-as-you-go. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'd highly recommend the solution to other users. It's one of the best cloud options out there right now.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

CF
VP at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good support, stable, and easy to scale according to our clients' needs

• "The most valuable feature is scalability, as it is very easy to scale."
  • "It should be easier to monitor the performance and generate analytic information so that we can determine how to provide better support for our clients."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software company and we use Amazon AWS as part of the solutions that we provide to our clients. The primary use case is an internet banking system. It is used in mobile banking, digital internet banking, and corporate banking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is scalability, as it is very easy to scale.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we are concerned about is the amount of memory because when we deploy the products, we have to make sure that the client has sufficient resources.

It should be easier to monitor the performance and generate analytic information so that we can determine how to provide better support for our clients. I believe that they have a lot of information available, so maybe they can have better analytic reporting.

We have been using Amazon AWS for approximately five years.

We have faced no major issues with AWS. So far, so good, and we plan to continue using it.

Scalability is very good and easy to do.

We have three or four clients using this platform. Most of our clients start with something small, and they are looking for growth. This is one of the reasons that we are using this cloud-based system. It gives them something small to start with, that fits their requirements.

I have seen the email exchange on consulting an issue, and so far, their support is okay.

We did not use another cloud platform prior to AWS.

Installation is not a concern for this product, as it is handled by Amazon.

The only concern is during deployment and integrating with other products. However, there are solutions in place for this and it takes between one and two days to complete.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance, but we also have a consultant to assist us.

This is a subscription-based service and there are licensing fees.

We explored using Microsoft Azure and another cloud, but we did not implement either one.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is definitely a product that I recommend because it's stable. Also, The capabilities and features are better than some of the competitors.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RM
Director, Tools Engineering & Security, Data Platform
Reliable, easy to scale, easy to set up, and the support is responsive

• "It scales extremely well."
  • "Price can always be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are essentially infrastructure provisioning for backend services. We also use it for environment automation.

We use it for CIPD. So, this is like AWS Beanstalk. We use it for infrastructure provisioning, auto-scaling some of the container services as well, block storage, such as S3.

What is most valuable?

It's a suite of services. There is no one thing that you can pinpoint and say that this is the most valuable.

AWS definitely works for us.

What needs improvement?

There are some subjective pain points, but we are pretty satisfied.

I have been using this solution for six or seven years.

We are not exactly using the latest version. We are using what Amazon rolls out.

It's software or infrastructure as a service, so we use what Amazon has.

We don' use the beta products and try to stay away from them. We only use what is generally available.

It's a stable solution. It's definitely reliable, we have run enough critical business services on it.

It scales extremely well. Most things are inbuilt. It is easy to scale vertically and horizontally.

It also functions on a tiering level, and that is based on what kind of customer you are.

Internally, there is some tiering on which they respond to tickets.

Overall the customer service support is pretty comfortable.

They usually respond and resolve tickets fairly quickly.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

They have different pricing models for each suite of services. For example, if you are with EC2; E2 has spot instances and EC2 has on instances. You can pay upfront or you can reserve an instance.

You can pay upfront or you can on an annual basis for certain machines, and you can keep them up which you get quite a competitive discount.

You can take spot instances, as in certain predefined instances, that you can spin up when you need it, but those ten to be expensive because it's ad-hoc.

You can also just go with the normal EC2 instances that are charged at the usual pricing rate.

For us, it's use-case specific and we move between all three pricing options.

Price can always be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

As a customer, I would wholeheartedly recommend this solution to others.

From our use cases and standards, most of the things are pretty much covered, so we're happy.

I've been pretty happy with my experience with AWS. I would rate Amazon AWS a solid nine out of ten.

IS
Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Offers many useful features and is easy to use

• "One of the most valuable features is that Amazon AWS has a lot of data centers and regions where we can position our virtual machines for leverage. Amazon AWS is also easy to use. You can quickly spin up something, use Explorer, building proofs of concept, things like that. Once the proof of concept is built once and we know how things are going to look from a production perspective, we try to move everything to the data centers. These features and the ease of use are the main reasons why we use AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We are essentially using a couple of virtual machines. We also use Amazon's transcoding services that convert video formats. We use it for internal purposes, especially for specific applications that it has.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that Amazon AWS has a lot of data centers and regions where we can position our virtual machines for leverage. Amazon AWS is also easy to use. You can quickly spin up something, use Explorer, building proofs of concept, things like that. Once the proof of concept is built once and we know how things are going to look from a production perspective, we try to move everything to the data centers. These features and the ease of use are the main reasons why we use AWS.

What needs improvement?

There are no additional features I would like to see. All the features we require are already provided and we aren't looking for anything else beyond that.

In general, the only feedback I have is about the startup programs they used to have. Startups would get a particular amount of credits so that people who are just starting their own business could export. This is no longer the case, but it was very good because it helped a lot of people start their businesses. Amazon should consider this again.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is scalable.

I have never needed to contact technical support.

I previously used Azure. I was working for a company that used Azure CSP, but I prefer AWS.

The initial setup is straightforward. I'm technically proficient and did it myself.

I implemented through an in-house team. We're a small, boutique-type company, but we are proficient enough.

In terms of price, there are less expensive options.

We are using open source technology, so there is no licensing.

I looked at Google Cloud also, but I still would prefer AWS. It has automation and scripts that we can leverage. People are familiar with AWS, so it's our top choice for public cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I absolutely recommend Amazon AWS to anyone who wants to start using it.

I would rate Amazon AWS a 10 out of 10. That's the main reason why we're using it.

Ibrahim Rasras
    Lead solution architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Feature-rich, integrates well, stable, scalable, and has good support that responds immediately

• "It integrates well."
    • "I would like to see CloudFormation made more in the programming way of thinking."

What is our primary use case?

We use several features of this solution for many purposes. For example, we use CloudFormation for infrastructure as a service, Kinesis for the message queue, Lambda for integration services, and ATC for hosting.

We also use S3 for storing the data, clustering, Multizone security, AVS to attach hard disk, and assistant.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

It has many features that we use.

It integrates well.

They upgrade a lot of applications.

What needs improvement?

If you are familiar with other cloud infrastructures, you can see that it is in need of some enhancements.

It is easy to enhance it to make the clustering easier.

At times, when you use CloudFormation to create five machines with a sequence name, it is difficult but can be done with Terraform easily.

I would like to see CloudFormation made more in the programming way of thinking. You have some variables, LOB, IF statements, and inheritance, where it's not just the functionality that we have, but gives you the output. They could make it close to the programming language, even if it's a scripting language. They need more control over it such as an If-Then-Else statement and a sub-loop if possible. It will make it easier to create the infrastructure.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for more than seven or eight years.

We are using the latest version.

It is a stable solution.

Amazon AWS is a scalable solution.

I work as a consultant and have a couple of customers. Each customer is of a different size company but they are all over 1,000.

AWS has very good technical support. They react immediately when you need help.

When you speak of installation, you refer to applications already built or software in ATC to be installed. AWS doesn't sell applications, they give you an infrastructure as a service, application as a service, and a platform as a service but they don't give you applications to be installed.

There is no installation required in AWS.

The maintenance required depends on the size of the company. Some larger companies require a larger IT department while others don't require it at all.

A license is required. Some customers will provide their own license and others will purchase it directly from AWS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in it.

I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

IshtiaqAhmad
    Senior Software Engineer at consol gulf
    Stable and easy to set up but can be a bit expensive

• "The product is reliable and quite stable."
    • "I want to use AWS as a full solution for my website - for domain and website hosting, and everything in between - however, I was not able to find everything together."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily used the solution more for a POC. The solution was primarily used for data lakes. However, my use case is more focused on getting the IDs up and running.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very good.

The solution in general is user-friendly and easy to navigate.

The product as a whole is very intuitive.

The initial setup was quite easy.

The product is reliable and quite stable.

The solution is fine for static hosting.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any issues or any missing features.

There are some other issues I see, but that was more on the security side, not on EC2. That's more of a technical thing. I was not able to get it up and running, however, that was a different issue altogether. It was more due to my understanding of the solution.

I want to use AWS as a full solution for my website - for domain and website hosting, and everything in between - however, I was not able to find everything together. They should work to make it an easy all-in-one end-to-end solution.

The product is a bit costly.

I've used the solution a bit, however, my specific experience is not up to date. My usage is not on the production side.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good and overall, the entire solution is reliable.

We haven't attempted to scale the solution yet, as we are still at the POC phase. However, ultimately, that is the plan and it is my understanding that it will scale well.

We've yet to contact technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

The initial setup, in the end, was pretty straightforward.

The solution can get to be expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using different services. We are using Alexa, for example, and static hosting. We do have a corporate account, however, we're not using a lot of services on it.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using.

We don't have a dedicated private cloud and therefore use a public cloud.

I'd recommend the solution to others. Overall, we enjoy using it.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

RG
    Senior Manager, Engineering at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Robust, scalable, user-friendly, and support included when deployed

• "One of the features offered is scalability on demand."
    • "It works very well with open-source solutions like Java, but not with .NET technologies."

What is our primary use case?

We host the service for customer products. Those services are utilized by different product lines, which can be used on AWS.

What is most valuable?

One of the features offered is scalability on demand.

It's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There are some areas that are not great. For example, with some Microsoft technologies such as .NET, you will have a difficult time deploying it on AWS. It works very well with open-source solutions like Java, but not with .NET technologies.

I would like to see more alerts added to the system. Preemptive alerts would be very good. It is something that happens and you have to do a lot of configuration at that time, which can be complex.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It's stable and a pretty robust solution.

It's a scalable solution that features scalability on demand, which is working perfectly fine.

We change the core on demand. We can increase the capacity on demand.

We have 10,000 users in our organization who are using this solution.

We have dedicated support. Once we have deployed it, support comes as part of the service because it is incorporated with the solution.

We get all of the support that we need.

The initial setup was definitely complex, but not because of AWS. It is complex because we need to upgrade to be compatible with AWS, which is related to the product and not AWS. The setup of AWS is straightforward.

We deployed it in a cluster way. Initially, it took a week to set everything up.

The first time it took longer, then became straightforward. It only takes a couple of hours now.

Licensing can be purchased on a yearly basis, which is an auto-renewal. We also have an on-demand on-pay purchase.

If, for example, we have provisions for other things and we have a three-peak season then we add more core, more hardware for the on-premises machines. During those periods it is on-demand but the rest of the time it is licensed with a yearly subscription.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but there are some areas that need improvement. It doesn't integrate well with some technologies and preemptive alerts would be very helpful.

I am happy with this solution, and I would rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Milton Ortegón
    CEO at Fit Ideas
    Provides stable, on-demand cloud computing platforms

• "It's easy to manage. We can use a wide range of technologies with AWS."
    • "I would like to receive some alerts when my consumption is getting out of the normal range."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to deploy our products.

Within our company, there are at least five people using this solution. Usually, they are technical people — some software developers and a couple of infrastructure managers.

Whether we decide to increase our usage with this solution depends on our business development.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to deploy a production environment using Oracle Database, an API integrator, or by using our development tools.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to manage. We can use a wide range of technologies with AWS.

What needs improvement?

It's very easy to configure and to use the platform, but we would like to be notified about our consumption. The consumption is a critical point for us because we are not always using the platform, but sometimes we receive high charges — high amounts of money for services that we didn't even use during that month, for instance.

I have been using Amazon AWS for roughly two years.

It's pretty stable. We haven't had any problems with the platform. Overall, I think it's quite optimized.

Scalability-wise, haven't had any issues. We work with small to medium-sized solutions so we haven't really needed to test the limits.

We haven't really had to contact technical support. The documentation is very complete and easy to understand.

We tried using a Google cloud platform, but we had some configuration problems with some programs like WordPress.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I wasn't involved in the deployment, but I believe it took less than four hours.

The price could be lower. Currently, we spend between $300 to $1,000 dollars a month to use this solution. We try to avoid using a license if we can.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend AWS to other interested companies. It's a very stable platform. It's easy to use and you don't have to be an expert to deploy your first project. Obviously, you'll need to make use of some advanced features, but in that case, support is always available.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.