AM
Manager, Enterprise Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, mature, and scalable

• "Technical support is quite helpful."
  • "We would appreciate it if the product was cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use mainly use the product for the infrastructure, the service components, and the storage.

What is most valuable?

The maturity that the solution offers is its most valuable aspect. It was one of the first solutions to market and has a long track record. It's very mature in terms of product delivery.

It is very stable.

The scalability is great.

In terms of features, it's very feature-rich and it's got a good ecosystem from third-party vendors as well in terms of those that partner up with them for offering their services on Amazon.

The security is good. Due to the fact that it's on the cloud, you can build your own security to meet your needs. It's enriched with great security features and capabilities. You just need to know how to run them.

Technical support is quite helpful.

What needs improvement?

We would appreciate it if the product was cheaper.

We've been using the solution since 2014.

The solution is very stable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Due to the fact that it is a cloud, users really do not have an issue with scalability. It can expand to meet anyone's needs.

We have at least 200 users at this time.

Technical support has been very good overall. they are helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with the level of support.

Before Amazon, we did not use other products, however, we now also use Azure and Google.

As a cloud service, there really isn't an installation process that's required.

We use their subscription model.

The solution could always be cheaper.

We have a monthly recurring cost based on usage.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud service, we are always on the latest version of the product.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten based on the feedback I've gotten from my team.

I'd recommend this service for particular use cases. However, it is important that users understand how it works. For example, it's not like you buy a server and running in a data center.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
CS
Sr Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Priced competitively, reliable, but difficult figuring out usage cost

• "This solution is stable and reliable."
  • "We have had some difficulty figuring out how to monitor how many EC2 instances have been networked into our entire enterprise. We usually try to create a diagram outside of AWS. The types of information we are trying to determine are, for example, what hardware devices are interconnected, and when was the interconnection made."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution predominately to reduce the amount of effort we need to migrate to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We have had some difficulty figuring out how to monitor how many EC2 instances have been networked into our entire enterprise. We usually try to create a diagram outside of AWS. The types of information we are trying to determine are, for example, what hardware devices are interconnected, and when was the interconnection made.

It is difficult to extrapolate budgeting costs and schedules from the information gathered from the usage of the solution in our systems. We are given a large lump sum of money at the beginning of the year for our budget but it is hard to summarize costs to put down on paper for justification or projections.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We are planning on moving more of our systems to the cloud. Currently, we have approximately 60% of our applications on the cloud.

Our developers found the installation a moderate level of difficulty, there was not anything that was complex. It is helpful to have some tutorials to follow.

The solution is on a pay-as-use pricing model. The price of the solution could always be better but it is priced competitively.

We have evaluated Lambda, and in some cases, it might be a better option than EC2. However, we have decided to go with EC2 because it is closer to a drop-in displacement which works better with our applications, for example, Spring Boot and other similar variations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is EC2 has its specific use case needs like other solutions, such as Lamda. If you have the need for a specific use case this solution could be the right choice. For example, it is possible to have your monolithic application on the cloud and decompose it into your microservice architecture or use it with Lambda capabilities. You can do this and have a high percentage of your application on the cloud. However, you need to be sure it is the right choice, it is something you need to be careful of.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Edison Macabebe
Chief Technology Architect - Agile/Devops Evangelist at Sandz Solutions
Error-free experience that is really well-tested

• "The experience with Amazon AWS is error-free. That was also, of course, something that I really appreciate. That means it's really well-tested and, as published or as declared."
  • "I'm just bugged by the charges that I'm not really able to manage."

What is most valuable?

The experience with Amazon AWS is error-free. That was also, of course, something that I really appreciate. That means it's really well-tested and, as published or as declared. So it works as-is. I think the interfaces are really quite usable and something that I think is user friendly.

What needs improvement?

I'm just bugged by the charges that I'm not really able to manage. If there is so much little stuff, that I enabled from time to time, then I get lost. And then I tend to forget about that. It would be better if there was a corresponding notification as well. I would like to see a notification indicating you have not used this instance. You might want to turn it off so as not to incur the cost or something like that. But because most of my usage is charged to my credit card. It's disappointing and frustrating at times. If they could provide some kind of entry point. Something similar to WordPress where small businesses could have an easy way to come up with a site that could behosted immediately.

My access to Amazon AWS is not so deep. I just set up VPCs and clusters or running an instance

I would say I'm quite satisfied. They're very pleasant to talk to and very helpful.

I would say that the Microsoft Azure interface is a lot slicker. But the last time I use it was around 2018. So comparing the interfaces in the dashboard views I think the Azure has the edge.

The initial setup was a little bit challenging because understandably it also tends to protect the user in terms of the security, both the user and the system. So if I understand and appreciate that level of complexity in setting how to access it, setting up the identities, and then once you get through it, I think the interfaces are really quite usable and something that I think is user friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend Amazon AWS. It's very useful because you can easily try out your compute requirements, whatever storage or whatever other services that you may want. I would rate Amazon AWS at an eight on a scale of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
VM
Digital Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and scalable with a fast deployment process

• "The initial setup is easy. The deployment is fast."
  • "The pricing could be a bit high at times. It's something they could improve upon."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution for version codes for various types of services. We also use the solution as a database. We use the platform to analyze data services.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at analyzing data services.

The initial setup is easy. The deployment is fast.

We really enjoy working on something that is based in the cloud. It makes things easier.

What needs improvement?

We aren't missing any features right now. For us, the solution is perfect as it is. We don't feel anything is lacking.

While my organization has been using the solution for years at this point, I have not been using it for the same length of time. It's been a while, however, it hasn't been that long.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. The performance is good. All of the services and requirements for our clients are currently working without any issue.

The scalability of the product is okay. You can expand it if you need to.

We only have a few people currently using the solution in our organization. There aren't a lot of us using it.

We've used technical support in the past. We've made tickets. Largely, it's been helpful. The response time is reasonable. We're largely satisfied with the level of support provided.

We've found that, overall, the initial setup isn't too complex. It's straightforward and very easy. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation process. We didn't have trouble.

Deployment times vary. It often depends on the services involved. We did an implementation in February and it was only five minutes. It can be very quick. It doesn't take too long.

What other advice do I have?

We are an AWS partner.

I'd recommend the solution. Having a cloud available has been great. It makes things faster and easier and the deployment is pretty quick and very straightforward.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been extremely happy with the product so far.

IE
Lecturer and Researcher at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very scalable, easy to use, and reliable

• "The installation process is very simple."
  • "The product would be better if it was more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a cloud computing platform. We use it for database storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Application development and migration form On-Premise to Cloud

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. Its reliability is great.

We've found the product to be very easy to use.

The solution is scalable.

The installation process is very simple.

Technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The product would be better if it was more secure.

The stability could always be improved upon.

I've been using the solution for a few years at this point. It's been a while. I've had a good amount of time to work with it.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. there are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable and the performance is good.

The product is scalable. If a company needs to expand, it can do so with ease.

We have about 50 people using the solution within our organization.

The technical support on offer from Amazon is very helpful and responsive. I'm happy with the level of service they provide. They are very good.

We did not previously use a different product. We've always used AWS.

The solution is very simple and straightforward. It's not complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issue with the process. The deployment is quick.

Middle level

Calculate form  Physical Server , CAPEX,OPEX

You do need to pay for a license. We pay a monthly fee in order to use the product.

Yes,I study form this ,https://comparecloud.in/

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the version number off-hand.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We're very happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Hybrid Cloud

Frank Gerlach
President at Embedded Sense, Inc.
Helpful documentation, great technical support, and good scalability

• "The initial setup is simple and straightforward."
  • "There is a bit of a learning curve. That said, it's likely no different than learning any other cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to host our control panel for our IoT devices.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good documentation.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

The solution is scalable.

The stability has been good.

We have found the technical support to be helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall feeling there were any features missing.

The pricing could be a bit lower, even though its costs are in the middle of the road.

I've used the solution for about half a year. It hasn't been 12 months yet.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

I would imagine the scaling is very good. It's advertised as quite scalable and everything points to that being the case. However, I have not personally attempted to scale. We're still building the application, and therefore we aren't at the point of scaling.

We have three people using the solution currently.

Technical support is very helpful and responsive. They have been good so far. We have no complaints and are quite satisfied with the support we receive.

We did not use a different solution. We chose Amazon due to its good documentation and middle-of-the-road costs.

While I wasn't a part of the initial implementation, it's my understanding that the process is very simple and straightforward. It's not an overly complex process.

The cost is moderate. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Amazon.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a good choice and one we stand behind.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We are very satisfied with the product so far. Likely, if the price was lower, we would rate it higher.

MP
Director of Technology at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Stable, flexible, always up to date, and works well as long-term or short-term storage

• "It's a flexible solution."
  • "The interface is relatively complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything. It's our infrastructure. You can have long-term or short-term storage. You can have elastic servers, analytical AI, machine learning services, and API services.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

The interface is relatively complex. It's not complex when you compare it to Azure, but with some other competitors, it is a little complex.

The interface could be simplified. It's an area that needs improvement, as well as the price.

I have been using this solution for five years.

We are using the latest version. It's always kept up-to-date by Amazon.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. Everyone in our organization is using this solution. We have 100 users.

We are not sure if we are going to continue using this product. We may move to Azure or GCP. We haven't made that decision.

You have support but not very much. It's all do-it-yourself and you figure it out for the most part.

You have outside consulting firms that provide the support.

We use Azure, just for backups.

There is nothing to install, it's cloud. It's easy.

The prices are a bit high. But they are the first ones on the market to really do this and they have a monopoly on it.

Depending on what you get, you will have to pay for a license. For example, if you get SQL Server, which is a Microsoft product, you need to pay for a license. If you get other products, you may have to get a license. They will provide that or they will sell it to you.

In some instances, it may be, that you bring your own licenses.

Azure has better services for some aspects, and Google GCP has obviously got some competing products. I think each provider has its benefits, advantages, and disadvantages.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

DN
Assistant General Manager, Information Technology & Infrastructure at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to provision new virtual services, easy to scale, and has most of the infrastructure components

• "It is quite easy to provision new virtual services for our use. The procedures are quite straightforward and simple as compared to other competitors, such as Microsoft or Huawei. This is what we are happy about with Amazon AWS. It is pretty mature in terms of the availability of most of the infrastructure components. If you want to deploy a server on your platform, everything is already there in terms of the operating system, network components, securities, and data encryption. It is also quite scalable and stable."
  • "Our use case is limited to virtual services and RPA development. We are not using it quite heavily, and there are not many issues or problems so far. However, it would be great if it could be integrated with more AI features and proactive monitoring. It could also have more automatic capacity expansion features. For example, when renting out some space, memory, or computing power, the service can have the capacity to expand by itself without being manually handled by us."

What is our primary use case?

It has been useful for running virtual services for some of our internal applications. Some of the developers are using it for doing some kind of development work on robotics process automation or RPA.

What is most valuable?

It is quite easy to provision new virtual services for our use. The procedures are quite straightforward and simple as compared to other competitors, such as Microsoft or Huawei. This is what we are happy about with Amazon AWS.

It is pretty mature in terms of the availability of most of the infrastructure components. If you want to deploy a server on your platform, everything is already there in terms of the operating system, network components, securities, and data encryption. It is also quite scalable and stable.

What needs improvement?

Our use case is limited to virtual services and RPA development. We are not using it quite heavily, and there are not many issues or problems so far. However, it would be great if it could be integrated with more AI features and proactive monitoring. It could also have more automatic capacity expansion features. For example, when renting out some space, memory, or computing power, the service can have the capacity to expand by itself without being manually handled by us.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

It is quite stable.

It is quite scalable. It is easy to expand and unsubscribe. In terms of the number of users, we have ten administrators from the IT side.

We have interacted with them. They are quite responsive to our inquiries.

The initial setup was easy.

It was pretty much done by our in-house developers.

Licensing is on a yearly basis. I believe we are satisfied with the current pricing. Otherwise, we would have switched to another vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Amazon AWS cloud is pretty mature in terms of availability for most of the infrastructure components. It is a one-stop shop that gives everybody simple steps to get things done, which is great.

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.