DanielMoreno
IT Architect at Orbis Data
A scalable and stable solution

• "I am very impressed by the solution's stability."
  • "The response time of technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

In my role as an IT architect, I design solutions for many clients. We use the solution in mobile applications with a back-end solution

What needs improvement?

The response time of technical support could be better. It is not so good. While this can likely be attributed to our lack of a premium support contract, they should still show more consideration in their response time towards first time clients.

Moreover, as things grow, the solution will need the scalability of Amazon services for it to be very secure. More scalability will be essential. It will be important for us to incorporate certain architecture-based ideas or configurations of the signature that would need to be included in our solutions or designs.

As an example, we developed a mobile application that will reach 10,000 users of Amazon services within its first year. The following year, it is projected to reach around 100,000 users.

I have been using Amazon AWS during the last 12 months.

I am very impressed by the solution's stability.

The scalability is very good, although having good security will require that its growth be in line with that of Amazon service.

Technical support is not so good.

Use of the four quarters service posed a problem for us during the initial setup. The setup of the initial quarters of service should be more transparent and clear to the user. Certain limits should be set up to match the varying needs of the users.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I feel the solution has been working very well.

We have worked with around eight companies over the past year involving a variety of solutions. For some of these we implemented solutions that will be utilized by a large clientele.

My role is that of an integrator. Editors and designers are other roles. As of now, we do not have a partner relationship with Amazon.

I rate Amazon AWS as a nine out of ten.

Rodrigo Bassani
Head Of Technology at Elogroup
Reseller
Frequent feature updates, easy to scale, and helpful technical support

• "The services that we are using have frequent updates, at least twice a year. They provide a new version that has more capabilities or features that fit our process and procedures."
  • "The setup of the solution is not so easy, it requires various skills to complete it. The whole implementation can take a month."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon AWS to deploy our architecture.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, CodeBuild, and CodeCommit. We use them to deliver our solution.

The services that we are using have frequent updates, at least twice a year. They provide a new version that has more capabilities or features that fit our process and procedures.

I am an integration specialist and Amazon AWS always seems to be a step ahead of the competition when it comes to the solutions integration abilities with its services.

EventBridge is a tool provided by AWS and it enables integration with the API gateway. We are using it as a solution to our projects and with our clients to integrate with external features, such as B2B or B2C. The Amazon API gateway integrates with EventBridge and other messaging layers. It is a highly integrated solution with those platforms.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

Amazon AWS has a very easy tool to scale in terms of scaling up and down. We have different options to do this operation and they are very useful.

The technical support has been helpful.

The setup of the solution is not so easy, it requires various skills to complete it. The whole implementation can take a month. However, different parts can take more or less time depending on the knowledge of the implementor.

The messaging layer, in general, is easy today than before when you had to create all the data centers around the world and create the steps to connect the data centers to each other. They have improved a lot over the year but they could still improve more.

Amazon AWS has pay-as-you-go options available.

What other advice do I have?

It is important for people who want to use Amazon AWS to have a very good implementation strategy to make the migration. Amazon has provided some framework to help those wanting to start the migration process.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable with an easy setup and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically infrastructure to service the cloud.

It can be used for everything. It can be for anything. It's an intelligently designed system that can run any workload, on any data for backup, for production, for anything you imagine.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to install. In a few clicks, you get what you need.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is very good.

Technical support is helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it was more secure. That's an aspect they need to work on.

I've been dealing with the solution for five years.

The stability and reliability are great. The performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches.

The scalability is good. A company can expand it as needed. It's not a problem.

We have about 100 people on the solution currently.

We've used technical support in the past, and they are fine. We've been satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

As a cloud-based solution, there isn't really an installation required. Everything sits in the cloud. You don't need to download or install anything. The setup might take a few months.

I handled the initial setup myself. I did not need any help from integrators or consultants.

While you may have to pay for some of the product kits, it's a monthly fee for everything.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, we're always using the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'm pretty happy with the stuff you can do with it, however, I would like it to be more secure.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

DC
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Great performance, perfect for scaling, and offers good integration capabilities

• "The solution offers easy provisioning and scaling on the fly."
  • "Identity and access management on AWS could be straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it as a cloud-based platform that's easy to scale.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers easy provisioning and scaling on the fly.

The performance is great.

Everything is very clear and there are no complex procedures to follow. it's a very easy-to-use solution.

The integration is very good. Integrating anything with it is easy to do.

What needs improvement?

In IBM we have IM, identity access management. For all the solutions in AWS, identity access is not quite so straightforward. Identity and access management on AWS could be made to be much more straightforward. That is something that they could work on. If they could work on that and use it for load balancing, that would be ideal.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half or so.

The solution performance well. The stability is very good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is excellent. Whatever your needs are, if you need to grow, Amazon can handle it.

We have 20 people working with the product currently.

I've never gotten to the point where I needed to reach out to technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

We also use IBM.

It's a cloud-based service. It's easy to set everything up.

With the enterprise product, you have to pay for a license, however, if you are using the open-source version, you don't pay to license it.

We did not evaluate any other products before choosing AWS.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, we're using the latest version at all times. It's consistently updated.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would 100% recommend this product to other users and companies.

AA
Founder at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Easy to sue, simple to install, and offers good scalability

• "The pricing aspect of the product is pretty reasonable. It's not overly expensive."
  • "The usability of the solution could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web hosting.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The stability of the product is great.

We have found the scalability to be very good.

Installing the solution isn't a difficult process. It's easy.

What needs improvement?

The usability of the solution could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution for about one year. It hasn't been that long.

The performance of the solution is good. It's stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so quite easily.

We have three people using the solution currently.

I've never actually reached out to technical support. Therefore I can't speak to how good they are at assisting clients.

We find the initial setup to be pretty straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex.

The amount of time it takes to deploy the solution differs from company to company. However, if you would just like to just set up a server, it only takes about ten minutes.

I handled the installation myself. I did not need any integrator or consultant assistance. It was all done in-house.

The pricing of the product isn't overly expensive. It's basically set up as a pay-as-you-go. Therefore you're only paying for what you need and use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been quite happy with the solution and its capabilities.

I would recommend it to other users and other organizations.

KK
Staff Engineer at Commonwealth Bank
Aligns well with Agile and DevOps practices to help deliver applications faster to market

• "There are a lot of features that I really like including ease of deployment, ease of build and release, and also that it is heavily focused on a PaaS or SaaS model."
  • "One of the problems that I have seen is that some of the products are not as mature as others."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services to clients using Amazon AWS and I've also used it for our own applications.

How has it helped my organization?

AWS aligns very well with agile and DevOps practices, as well as and cloud-native principles like infrastructure as code. In short, it helps me deliver my product faster to market.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features that I really like including ease of deployment, ease of build and release, and also that it is heavily focused on a PaaS or SaaS model. All I have to worry about is my application and not about the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems that I have seen is that some of the products are not as mature as others. For example, their API Gateway is not as mature as Kong, and their version control system is not at mature as GitHub. It's the same thing with their databases like DynamoDB, which is not as mature as MongoDB. Once we have equality in products between on-premises and cloud, this system will be a very good proposition.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for about five years.

As the majority of products on AWS are PaaS or SaaS offerings, scalability is not a big concern. For some of the services, you have to give them notice if you want to scale them beyond certain limits.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are quite good at responding.

The initial setup is not complex. In fact, I would say that it is relatively easy.

The time required for deployment depends on which products are selected. Some take minutes, whereas others can take hours.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering AWS is to try exploring and use it. I think that it will save you a lot of time.

SB
Senior Architect, Technology Transformation Group at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with good performance and good technical support

• "The product is nice and stable. Its performance is great."
  • "The solution could offer better integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

Web developers use the solution for application building, modernization, cloud transformation, new development, and budget solutions. It has a wide variety of use cases.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product is nice and stable. Its performance is great.

The technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could offer better integration capabilities.

The pricing is a bit high. It's an aspect they could improve upon.

I don't use it in my current organization. I used to use it in my earlier organization. In fact, I don't really use it, however, we used to consult on it. I've been a consultant for about a year or so.

The product is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is great.

At my organization, there are around 100 users on the solution.

Technical support has been good. I have not heard of any customer complaints. It's my understanding that they are helpful and responsive and users are satisfied with their level of service.

I was not a part of the installation process. I cannot speak to how easy or difficult the implementation was. I have no visibility on that aspect. I'm not sure what the makeup of the technical team was or how many people were used to deploy it.

The price of the solution can get expensive. They could work to lower it for their clients.

Those that use the licensing do need to pay a fee. It can be paid on a yearly or monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I've worked as a consultant.

We've been quite pleased with its capabilities. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the product to other users or companies.

GS
Product Owner for AWS and DevOps at Sunlight Financial
Stable and priced well, but technical support needs to be more proactive

• "Amazon AWS is very stable."
  • "They should implement the command shell by default. As it is now, to open the console, you have to download the command application."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our company and for our clients' companies.

What is most valuable?

I like the IAM, the directory, and the storage.

What needs improvement?

They should implement the command shell by default. As it is now, to open the console, you have to download the command application. When you compare with GCP, they have the command shell inbuilt.

It would make it more seamless for the administrator to include this. There are times where the machine is not connecting and you can't wait for the RDP because you have to create them quickly.

Building a shell directly from the console is a good solution. This is missing by default. there are ways that it can be done and integrated.

I have been working with Amazon AWS for six years.

Amazon AWS is very stable.

It is a scalable solution, but you can only scale-out. You can't scale up.

We have approximately 200 users in our company who are using it.

Technical support could be improved, they could be better. We don't get SLA with AWS.

They give us a specific time for a solution but they don't advise further. We have to check to see if the issue has been resolved. There should be an automatic email to notify us that the issue has been resolved, by default.

The need to work on proactiveness.

I also work with GCP and with Azure.

The initial setup is easy. It is not complex.

We have a team of 50 people who maintain all of our solutions. It's spread across the team to run 24/7.

The pricing is one of the best in the segment.

They have actually reduced their prices, with the exception of the MLD which has increased.

It's by design itself.

They have placed the pricing well for a reduced market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS a seven out of ten.