MP
Director of Technology at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Stable, flexible, always up to date, and works well as long-term or short-term storage

• "It's a flexible solution."
  • "The interface is relatively complex."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything. It's our infrastructure. You can have long-term or short-term storage. You can have elastic servers, analytical AI, machine learning services, and API services.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

The interface is relatively complex. It's not complex when you compare it to Azure, but with some other competitors, it is a little complex.

The interface could be simplified. It's an area that needs improvement, as well as the price.

I have been using this solution for five years.

We are using the latest version. It's always kept up-to-date by Amazon.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable product. Everyone in our organization is using this solution. We have 100 users.

We are not sure if we are going to continue using this product. We may move to Azure or GCP. We haven't made that decision.

You have support but not very much. It's all do-it-yourself and you figure it out for the most part.

You have outside consulting firms that provide the support.

We use Azure, just for backups.

There is nothing to install, it's cloud. It's easy.

The prices are a bit high. But they are the first ones on the market to really do this and they have a monopoly on it.

Depending on what you get, you will have to pay for a license. For example, if you get SQL Server, which is a Microsoft product, you need to pay for a license. If you get other products, you may have to get a license. They will provide that or they will sell it to you.

In some instances, it may be, that you bring your own licenses.

Azure has better services for some aspects, and Google GCP has obviously got some competing products. I think each provider has its benefits, advantages, and disadvantages.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

Naresh Rayakwar
Tech Mahindra Total Duration14 yrs TitleTech Lead for KPN Project at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, scalable, and offers many services

• "Amazon AWS is easy to use and in the past two years, I've never had any issues with scalability or stability."
  • "This solution could be improved by a better licensing model, especially for third-party software. Amazon AWS could also potentially be improved by more free storage, but I think that it's okay when compared to competitors' products."

What is our primary use case?

This solution has many use cases. Amazon AWS offers a lot of services, all of which are useful. How useful this solution will be for you depends on how it fits your business.

What is most valuable?

Amazon AWS is easy to use and in the past two years, I've never had any issues with scalability or stability.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved by a better licensing model, especially for third-party software. Amazon AWS could also potentially be improved by more free storage, but I think that it's okay when compared to competitors' products.

I have been using Amazon AWS for more than two or three years.

This solution is stable. I haven't had any problems with stability in the past two years.

This solution is cloud-based, so it's scalable. It is elastic, so as soon as you want to increase storage, you do so without any issues. There are about four thousand to five thousand people using AWS in my organization.

I have contacted Amazon's technical support and it was quite an easy process. You will have a solution within 24 hours.

I didn't use another fast cloud solution before Amazon AWS.

The initial setup is easy and you don't really need to install anything. If you understand cloud solutions, you can easily do it yourself.

I implemented myself, with an in-house team.

We need to pay for everything. If someone is a personal user, they get one year free. But if you are using this as a professional or enterprise solution, then your company has to pay. The license pricing is comparable to that of competitors'.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Amazon AWS a nine out of ten, primarily because I have a background in Java. Someone else with more experience in Microsoft technologies would probably prefer Azure. I recommend AWS to anyone considering implementing it because it's easy to use.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Amazon AWS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DN
Assistant General Manager, Information Technology & Infrastructure at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to provision new virtual services, easy to scale, and has most of the infrastructure components

• "It is quite easy to provision new virtual services for our use. The procedures are quite straightforward and simple as compared to other competitors, such as Microsoft or Huawei. This is what we are happy about with Amazon AWS. It is pretty mature in terms of the availability of most of the infrastructure components. If you want to deploy a server on your platform, everything is already there in terms of the operating system, network components, securities, and data encryption. It is also quite scalable and stable."
  • "Our use case is limited to virtual services and RPA development. We are not using it quite heavily, and there are not many issues or problems so far. However, it would be great if it could be integrated with more AI features and proactive monitoring. It could also have more automatic capacity expansion features. For example, when renting out some space, memory, or computing power, the service can have the capacity to expand by itself without being manually handled by us."

What is our primary use case?

It has been useful for running virtual services for some of our internal applications. Some of the developers are using it for doing some kind of development work on robotics process automation or RPA.

What is most valuable?

It is quite easy to provision new virtual services for our use. The procedures are quite straightforward and simple as compared to other competitors, such as Microsoft or Huawei. This is what we are happy about with Amazon AWS.

It is pretty mature in terms of the availability of most of the infrastructure components. If you want to deploy a server on your platform, everything is already there in terms of the operating system, network components, securities, and data encryption. It is also quite scalable and stable.

What needs improvement?

Our use case is limited to virtual services and RPA development. We are not using it quite heavily, and there are not many issues or problems so far. However, it would be great if it could be integrated with more AI features and proactive monitoring. It could also have more automatic capacity expansion features. For example, when renting out some space, memory, or computing power, the service can have the capacity to expand by itself without being manually handled by us.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

It is quite stable.

It is quite scalable. It is easy to expand and unsubscribe. In terms of the number of users, we have ten administrators from the IT side.

We have interacted with them. They are quite responsive to our inquiries.

The initial setup was easy.

It was pretty much done by our in-house developers.

Licensing is on a yearly basis. I believe we are satisfied with the current pricing. Otherwise, we would have switched to another vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Amazon AWS cloud is pretty mature in terms of availability for most of the infrastructure components. It is a one-stop shop that gives everybody simple steps to get things done, which is great.

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

DanielMoreno
IT Architect at Orbis Data
A scalable and stable solution

• "I am very impressed by the solution's stability."
  • "The response time of technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

In my role as an IT architect, I design solutions for many clients. We use the solution in mobile applications with a back-end solution

What needs improvement?

The response time of technical support could be better. It is not so good. While this can likely be attributed to our lack of a premium support contract, they should still show more consideration in their response time towards first time clients.

Moreover, as things grow, the solution will need the scalability of Amazon services for it to be very secure. More scalability will be essential. It will be important for us to incorporate certain architecture-based ideas or configurations of the signature that would need to be included in our solutions or designs.

As an example, we developed a mobile application that will reach 10,000 users of Amazon services within its first year. The following year, it is projected to reach around 100,000 users.

I have been using Amazon AWS during the last 12 months.

I am very impressed by the solution's stability.

The scalability is very good, although having good security will require that its growth be in line with that of Amazon service.

Technical support is not so good.

Use of the four quarters service posed a problem for us during the initial setup. The setup of the initial quarters of service should be more transparent and clear to the user. Certain limits should be set up to match the varying needs of the users.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I feel the solution has been working very well.

We have worked with around eight companies over the past year involving a variety of solutions. For some of these we implemented solutions that will be utilized by a large clientele.

My role is that of an integrator. Editors and designers are other roles. As of now, we do not have a partner relationship with Amazon.

I rate Amazon AWS as a nine out of ten.

Rodrigo Bassani
Head Of Technology at Elogroup
Reseller
Frequent feature updates, easy to scale, and helpful technical support

• "The services that we are using have frequent updates, at least twice a year. They provide a new version that has more capabilities or features that fit our process and procedures."
  • "The setup of the solution is not so easy, it requires various skills to complete it. The whole implementation can take a month."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon AWS to deploy our architecture.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, CodeBuild, and CodeCommit. We use them to deliver our solution.

The services that we are using have frequent updates, at least twice a year. They provide a new version that has more capabilities or features that fit our process and procedures.

I am an integration specialist and Amazon AWS always seems to be a step ahead of the competition when it comes to the solutions integration abilities with its services.

EventBridge is a tool provided by AWS and it enables integration with the API gateway. We are using it as a solution to our projects and with our clients to integrate with external features, such as B2B or B2C. The Amazon API gateway integrates with EventBridge and other messaging layers. It is a highly integrated solution with those platforms.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

Amazon AWS has a very easy tool to scale in terms of scaling up and down. We have different options to do this operation and they are very useful.

The technical support has been helpful.

The setup of the solution is not so easy, it requires various skills to complete it. The whole implementation can take a month. However, different parts can take more or less time depending on the knowledge of the implementor.

The messaging layer, in general, is easy today than before when you had to create all the data centers around the world and create the steps to connect the data centers to each other. They have improved a lot over the year but they could still improve more.

Amazon AWS has pay-as-you-go options available.

What other advice do I have?

It is important for people who want to use Amazon AWS to have a very good implementation strategy to make the migration. Amazon has provided some framework to help those wanting to start the migration process.

I rate Amazon AWS an eight out of ten.

CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable with an easy setup and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically infrastructure to service the cloud.

It can be used for everything. It can be for anything. It's an intelligently designed system that can run any workload, on any data for backup, for production, for anything you imagine.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to install. In a few clicks, you get what you need.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is very good.

Technical support is helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it was more secure. That's an aspect they need to work on.

I've been dealing with the solution for five years.

The stability and reliability are great. The performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze and there are no bugs or glitches.

The scalability is good. A company can expand it as needed. It's not a problem.

We have about 100 people on the solution currently.

We've used technical support in the past, and they are fine. We've been satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

As a cloud-based solution, there isn't really an installation required. Everything sits in the cloud. You don't need to download or install anything. The setup might take a few months.

I handled the initial setup myself. I did not need any help from integrators or consultants.

While you may have to pay for some of the product kits, it's a monthly fee for everything.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, we're always using the latest version.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'm pretty happy with the stuff you can do with it, however, I would like it to be more secure.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

DC
Consultant at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Great performance, perfect for scaling, and offers good integration capabilities

• "The solution offers easy provisioning and scaling on the fly."
  • "Identity and access management on AWS could be straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it as a cloud-based platform that's easy to scale.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers easy provisioning and scaling on the fly.

The performance is great.

Everything is very clear and there are no complex procedures to follow. it's a very easy-to-use solution.

The integration is very good. Integrating anything with it is easy to do.

What needs improvement?

In IBM we have IM, identity access management. For all the solutions in AWS, identity access is not quite so straightforward. Identity and access management on AWS could be made to be much more straightforward. That is something that they could work on. If they could work on that and use it for load balancing, that would be ideal.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half or so.

The solution performance well. The stability is very good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is excellent. Whatever your needs are, if you need to grow, Amazon can handle it.

We have 20 people working with the product currently.

I've never gotten to the point where I needed to reach out to technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

We also use IBM.

It's a cloud-based service. It's easy to set everything up.

With the enterprise product, you have to pay for a license, however, if you are using the open-source version, you don't pay to license it.

We did not evaluate any other products before choosing AWS.

What other advice do I have?

As a cloud-based solution, we're using the latest version at all times. It's consistently updated.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would 100% recommend this product to other users and companies.

ByronSierra
Principal Consultant at High Sierra Consultants
Good elasticity, good performance, and reasonable price

• "Macie is great. It is a service that makes recommendations on a data layer for cybersecurity. It is a great service."
  • "One thing that Azure offers that I think is good is Migrate appliance. So, Azure has a migrate appliance that allows you to run against workloads to determine the cost, preparedness, and scalability. I haven't found a similar feature in AWS. That kind of service would be great on AWS too if you could point it to the data center."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for enterprise warehousing. I am using it for web development, data warehousing, and also for building apps.

I am using its latest version. In terms of deployment, it is a platform as a service.

What is most valuable?

Macie is great. It is a service that makes recommendations on a data layer for cybersecurity. It is a great service.

Its elasticity is good, and I haven't come across any problems with it. So far, everything has been good.

What needs improvement?

One thing that Azure offers that I think is good is Migrate appliance. So, Azure has a migrate appliance that allows you to run against workloads to determine the cost, preparedness, and scalability. I haven't found a similar feature in AWS. That kind of service would be great on AWS too if you could point it to the data center.

I have been using this solution for well over five years.

I have not had any performance issues.

It's very easy to scale. Its elasticity is good. If you want to scale up or down, you can. You can scale out. There is no problem at all. That's one of the features that I like about it.

We have less than 50 people who are using this solution.

I've not used their tech support yet.

We didn't use a different solution previously. They're the first.

You need to know what you're doing. I know they're trying to make it easy. Some things are easy. Some things you have to know what you're doing.

It seems to be reasonable. It's the first one that I've used as a cloud platform, so they've set the benchmark for me, and now, I'm comparing everything else to them.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just plan out what they are looking for in terms of use cases.

I would rate Amazon AWS an eight out of 10.

Download our free Amazon AWS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.